Do LiPo's really blow up that much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels007

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
I've been out of the hobby for 20 or so years. I'm coming back and a lot has changed. The articles I've read about LiPo's makes them sound like grenades ready to go at any moment. My questions are, do LiPo's really blow up a lot? If charged properly, are they safe? Where do you guys recommend charging and storing them? Thanks!

@Wheels007, LiPo's are pretty safe. So long as you take care of them they will take care of you. That said, if you abuse them they can and do go up far more violently.

I prefer to store my LiPo batteries in an metal ammo box. There was a recent discussion about LiPo storage in the thread How to store a LiPo battery which has some good info.

I've been back in the hobby for about three years. I have had one cell swell bad enough to make me take it out of service, and I bought 2 used lipos (when I didn't know better) that both were swollen enough to be unsafe. But I have not had a catastrophic failure (fire). But still, I charge them in the garage, and store them in a metal ammo can.

I think that if you use the proper C-rated cells (can of worms there) and charger them with a proper lipo charger, use your LVC to keep from over-discharging, store at storage charge (+-3.85v per cell), and take them out of service when they show signs of danger, you will be mostly safe.

But yeah, sometimes they do just fireball...

Last edited:
Not very often from my experience, but it only takes one to cause serious damage if it isn't stored properly, especially if it is in with several others.

Lipo fires are chemical, so they are very hot, and can do serious damage.

I'd recommend reading up on storage and don't push the voltages outside the recommended ranges.

TT

I'm newer to the hobby but have a fair amount of experience with Lipos via my other hobby, drones. I've never had any problems, the important things are to keep them in the proper voltage range and properly dispose of them immediately if damaged.

I've heard of fires, but it's relatively rare and almost always tracked back to improper care or running with damage. I wouldn't say they are grenades waiting to go off, but maintain awareness - they are more volatile than other types of batteries.

The easiest way to damage them and get a fire is to puncture them, or short them out. Outside of that, properly charging/storing them and they are pretty safe.

The only lipo I've had go up in smoke on me was a cell phone battery I was trying to take apart and accidentally jammed a screwdriver into. It was very violent and filled my workbench with smoke and fire for a bit.

I've had a couple others swell up on me, one really bad and I stopped using it, drained it fully and shorted it so it wouldn't recover.

Store and use properly and you will be fine. Charge in a lipo bag on a hard surface, fire extinguisher close by just in case. Friend had a friend whose lipo caught fire, burned down his living room. Don't know anymore details beyond that.

LiPo's are pretty safe. So long as you take care of them they will take care of you. That said, if you abuse them they can and do go up far more violently.
This has been my experience from aerial RC as well. I've read some horror stories (and seen pics of the aftermath) but never had it happen to me. Though it's a generalization, I think those who fly tend to take better care of their LiPo's and electronics simply because any sort of failure is likely to be catastrophic if it happens midair.

Overall, I think a vast majority of LiPo failures can be attributed to abuse or ignoring warning signs. I still charge mine in a LiPo bag in the garage on a concrete floor because it's not worth the risk to me.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking of perhaps charging them in our wood burning stove "cast iron" and storing them in an ammo can on the fireplace which is brick and deep. oh, and move them when we use the stove hah.

love the stove idea. only problem is we get a fire going in October and put it out in late april...stellar idea for the rest of the year though, just make long charge and balance leads and close it up in the stove. thanks Wheels!

Hi guys relatively new to rc and from the 1st truck onwards have only used 3s 5000mah 50c batteries I run 3 4x4 trucks and have had no problems as yet any advice would be grateful also new senton owner

Hi guys relatively new to rc and from the 1st truck onwards have only used 3s 5000mah 50c batteries I run 3 4x4 trucks and have had no problems as yet any advice would be grateful also new senton owner
Treat them well and follow the basic safety precautions and you'll be fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back