Kraton Do many people Run the Kraton 1/8 on 8s system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MufFiNzS

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So i picked up a Kraton 6s V5 BXL 7 weeks ago, the esc let out the magic smoke and i was unable to collect it and put it back inside. So I picked up a MMX8s 1260kv. The guy at the hobby store said the 1650kv was a bad fit, after more reading i feel like i was tricked.

So i am running it on 8s and well i have been constantly devastating my drivetrain, 15 broken diff pins, stock, tool steel drill blanks and s7 tool steel. 7 broken out drives got GMP out drives and I went back to breaking my s7 tool steel pins. 5 broken drive shafts pins. And 3 ring and pinions, where I Shared teeth completely off ring gear.

So ok all get the EXB diffs bigger pins out drives larger teeth it’s a win win. Got them did the shims, put them in, took it outside and just gave it the whole can of beans. Turned that differential into confetti.

Gave up on my dreams, and went to eat cake, and ponder the fact that I spent more money on shims than food.

Ended up dropping the punch control to 40% thought I'd start high and lower it, turns out it’s now it appsolutely uncontrollable, exactly what I was looking for. It backflips when I don't want it to. I got in 10 packs today, and for the first time owning the truck broke something in a crash, when I hit a tree, because well i can't drive or the tree JUMPED IN MY WAY!

Do a lot of you guys run this truck on 8s? If so, tips? Well besides controlling willingness to apply beans.

Like I said on Discord most people run on 6s. 8s is too much for these to handle continuously. Think of it like trying to run an LS1 on the stock tranny in a Geo Metro.

And your lhs sounds about as knowledgeable as mine.

Last edited:
My feeling is 6S is plenty of power for these 1/8 rigs. But I'm old so take what I say with a grain of salt and get off my la
That's a fair and intelligent opinion. But what if i hate money and reliability and maybe enjoy carrying the truck more than I did driving it?
Also i was just getting my ball off your lawn, if i knew you where going to catch me i wound not of done it.

Last edited:
Good to hear you are finally liking your Kraton. Your LHS 🤦‍♂️, next time come here for info😉.
As others mentioned most run on 6s which is plenty powerful.
I have been having fun from the start just because it was blowing up didn't make me hate it. I was just a little confused, i must have blindly ignored the fact that people said thay they were running it on 6s, as i had my mind set on 8s, when reading on here about people running a mmx8s. Now my goal is to get about 20 batteries packs per drivetrain failure so if i make it at 40% punch all up it to 30% and so on. I get a lot of enjoyment out of this style of play where i find its limitations then try to upgrade it to see if it will take it.

I have been having fun from the start just because it was blowing up didn't make me hate it. I was just a little confused, i must have blindly ignored the fact that people said thay they were running it on 6s, as i had my mind set on 8s, when reading on here about people running a mmx8s. Now my goal is to get about 20 batteries packs per drivetrain failure so if i make it at 40% punch all up it to 30% and so on. I get a lot of enjoyment out of this style of play where i find its limitations then try to upgrade it to see if it will take it.
Sounds like a plan.
Another option would be:
If you like your car to be a wild stalion (wheelie, flips etc.) have a look at the Outcast 8s EXB. Your 8s electronics should fit perfectly. With a ‘cheap’ 6s system from Jennysrc.com for the Kraton and you should do way more than 20 packs on the drivetrains before blowing them up.

Without abuse the driveline will hold up...but I may be the only person to NOT abuse their rigs on this forum.😜
Like I said on Discord most people run on 6s. 8s is too much for these to handle continuously. Think of it like trying to run an LS1 on the stock tranny in a Geo Metro.

🤘🤘🤘🚗

So i picked up a Kraton 6s V5 BXL 7 weeks ago, the esc let out the magic smoke and i was unable to collect it and put it back inside. So I picked up a MMX8s 1260kv. The guy at the hobby store said the 1650kv was a bad fit, after more reading i feel like i was tricked.

So i am running it on 8s and well i have been constantly devastating my drivetrain, 15 broken diff pins, stock, tool steel drill blanks and s7 tool steel. 7 broken out drives got GMP out drives and I went back to breaking my s7 tool steel pins. 5 broken drive shafts pins. And 3 ring and pinions, where I Shared teeth completely off ring gear.

So ok all get the EXB diffs bigger pins out drives larger teeth it’s a win win. Got them did the shims, put them in, took it outside and just gave it the whole can of beans. Turned that differential into confetti.

Gave up on my dreams, and went to eat cake, and ponder the fact that I spent more money on shims than food.

Ended up dropping the punch control to 40% thought I'd start high and lower it, turns out it’s now it appsolutely uncontrollable, exactly what I was looking for. It backflips when I don't want it to. I got in 10 packs today, and for the first time owning the truck broke something in a crash, when I hit a tree, because well i can't drive or the tree JUMPED IN MY WAY!

Do a lot of you guys run this truck on 8s? If so, tips? Well besides controlling willingness to apply beans.
Not worth all the trouble that 8s does to your drivetrain. I have a Mojave EXB with a Max 6 and 1650KV motor from HW. I have ran it on 8s, and it causes a lot of damage. Not to mention that it's pretty much uncontrollable. Meh. Just run a 23t pinion on 6s and you should be fine. Not worth it for long term success and durability. 23t pinion and 6s is where I would keep it. I run my Typhon on 6s only too, even though it's a 8s capable system. Too much for the 6s drivetrain. It will destroy your diffs too eventually. Meh. Just MHO after trying out 8s in the 6s vehicles.

I put a MMX8S/1650 in my V4 K6 literally on the 2nd day of its life. Sometimes 6s sometimes 8s.
I don't beat the piss out of it on 8s, because I know it wasn't built for that.
I hardly jump it tho, its just full speed across grass fields and dirt.
Wear seems normal to me.

Not worth all the trouble that 8s does to your drivetrain. I have a Mojave EXB with a Max 6 and 1650KV motor from HW. I have ran it on 8s, and it causes a lot of damage. Not to mention that it's pretty much uncontrollable. Meh. Just run a 23t pinion on 6s and you should be fine. Not worth it for long term success and durability. 23t pinion and 6s is where I would keep it. I run my Typhon on 6s only too, even though it's a 8s capable system. Too much for the 6s drivetrain. It will destroy your diffs too eventually. Meh. Just MHO after trying out 8s in the 6s vehicles.
But i have 8 diffs 4 bxl and 4 exb and they are not going to destroy them selfs
Another option would be:
If you like your car to be a wild stalion (wheelie, flips etc.) have a look at the Outcast 8s EXB. Your 8s electronics should fit perfectly. With a ‘cheap’ 6s system from Jennysrc.com for the Kraton and you should do way more than 20 packs on the drivetrains before blowing them up.
I like the 1/8 scale kraton, I don't really want a bigger truck yet, and I get a lot of enjoyment out of the absurd challenge of trying to drive it. It's just so angry and full of rage on 8s i can't not love it. I also really enjoy working on it, It's claiming to my mind.

Last edited:

ooh man... you don't even hahahahahahahahah this was my BBC Geo Metro tube chassis.

VstrI4X.jpg

I run the Hobbywing max6 paired with the 5687 on 6s most times but do run 8s when I feel like being silly with it. Definitely have to keep the punch to its lowest setting on 8s. It more a novelty then functionality. The 4985 and max 6 is more then enough.

I have the kraton 6s exb with stock 6s spectrum kraton motor and kraton 8s esc.
Its a beast. I ONLY RUN IT 6S. Its perfect that way. I had to upgrade to hot racing metal diff case then no more problems. 8s is to much for this truck. Buy the kraton 8s exb next.
I have the kraton 6s exb with stock 6s spectrum kraton motor and kraton 8s esc.
Its a beast. I ONLY RUN IT 6S. Its perfect that way. I had to upgrade to hot racing metal diff case then no more problems. 8s is to much for this truck. Buy the kraton 8s exb next.
I have had this setup over a year now, no need or desire to change it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back