Do Not Use stainless screws!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cootertwo

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Being a newbee, I should have known better. Even read a few threads here about them. But no, I just had to use them on my Kraton re-build onto a Just Bash it chassis. I got my stainless screw set from RCscrewz. First of all, the kit I got for a Kraton, must be for the older models, as it does not have some of the longer chassis screws that are in my V3 model. Secondly, they are soft. I used them to mount my motor/diff assembly, with just a touch of blue loctite. Before I could get them as tight as I wanted, the head stripped. I tried to remove them right away, to replace with the stock black screws, but the heads strip, using a good allen wrench. So I guess if/when I have to change the pinion, or diff fluid, I'll have to try to drill them out. What a bummer.

so don't buy the kit from RCscrewz?

Its not that don't use stainless screws...

I don't think there ARE any SS screws that are as strong as stock. At least not without going to some exotic like Inconel or Monel. And maybe not then.

If you want spare screws, head to Ebay and the kitbreakers like JRC or Lumidave35. They will sell all the screws left over from taking the car apart, plus the tool kit, for about $10. It is not 100% of the screws, but most of the ones you will need.

I don't think there ARE any SS screws that are as strong as stock. At least not without going to some exotic like Inconel or Monel. And maybe not then.

If you want spare screws, head to Ebay and the kitbreakers like JRC or Lumidave35. They will sell all the screws left over from taking the car apart, plus the tool kit, for about $10. It is not 100% of the screws, but most of the ones you will need.
+1 Get a screw set from these chop shops. Worth every penny

Glad I found this, as I was planning to buy these SS screws. I would like to know if you guys have any tips against rust tho... Cause where I am it's winter, I used my RC only twice, and some screws are already rusting...

My tip, don't stress it. Keep it dry, if you can. Dry and oil it if you can't, and a bit of surface rust won't hurt.

If the rust gets past surface rust, then Jenny's RC or Lumidave35 sells stock screw kits for cheap.

Last - SS screws are fine for screws into plastic. For screws into metal, stay with the stock screws.

My tip, don't stress it. Keep it dry, if you can. Dry and oil it if you can't, and a bit of surface rust won't hurt.

If the rust gets past surface rust, then Jenny's RC or Lumidave35 sells stock screw kits for cheap.

Last - SS screws are fine for screws into plastic. For screws into metal, stay with the stock screws.
Also probably not the best for parts that can get a lot of load on them, like the bumpers, chassis braces, motor mount... They shear off the heads easier.

I use stainless on everything that is not getting beat to sh!t... I started out with all stainless screws like a newbie also and slowly learned which i always bent or broke, then went back to black on those ones....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back