Mojave Do the diffs need shims?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Otherside

Huh?
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
Putting my front diff back in, and my shim will get smashed when trying to fit it in.

I tighten the ring gear to make room and the differential refuses to turn.

I back out the 4 ring gears screws and they stick out too far.

I'm at my wits end and about to pay my hobby shop $45 an hour to get this...

Thanks guys!!

Every diff is a bit different. This is WHY we shim - some are too loose, some are tight, some are just right. If you can't fit the shims, you probably don't need them. If shims make the diff hard to turn, you don't need them.

Thank you!

It had them in when I took them out to fill them with 30k fluid and now it won't fit.

Thanks again!

Thank you!

It had them in when I took them out to fill them with 30k fluid and now it won't fit.

Thanks again!

Something is wrong with how you reassembled the diff, imo. You absolutely shouldn't have to mess with the screws that hold the ring gear to the diff cup.

Take the diff out, undo the screws and make sure the insides are all meshing properly. Often you will need to rotate the outdrives a bit to get the ring gear side sun gear to properly drop in and allow the ring gear to fully seat on the cup.

Something is wrong with how you reassembled the diff, imo. You absolutely shouldn't have to mess with the screws that hold the ring gear to the diff cup.

Take the diff out, undo the screws and make sure the insides are all meshing properly. Often you will need to rotate the outdrives a bit to get the ring gear side sun gear to properly drop in and allow the ring gear to fully seat on the cup.
Thank you for the information!

I'll have at it after work!

Thank you for the information!

I'll have at it after work!

Good luck and have fun! These can be a bugger the first couple of times you work on them. Make sure to not over tighten the 4 screws on the diff - snug all 4 and then go around in a criss cross pattern to do the final torques. I usually keep going until I have hit all of the screws 2 or 3 times and they all feel like the same tightness.

Also make sure that you didn't over fill them as that could lead you to not getting the ring gear totally seated.

Good luck and have fun! These can be a bugger the first couple of times you work on them. Make sure to not over tighten the 4 screws on the diff - snug all 4 and then go around in a criss cross pattern to do the final torques. I usually keep going until I have hit all of the screws 2 or 3 times and they all feel like the same tightness.

Also make sure that you didn't over fill them as that could lead you to not getting the ring gear totally seated.
The worst part is, is that they're so simple and when it doesn't work right, I'm like, wtf! Lol.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Missing a gasket between the cup and ring gear? If it doesn't turn when assembled something is very wrong..

I didn't see a gasket on either of the 3 diffs.

It's an EXB if that makes a difference?

Makes no difference.. there is a gasket on each diff between the cup and ring gear..

Oh damn, it was stuck to the ring gear and didn't even realize it was there.

But yes, gasket is there and intact.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back