Do you like xt90 plug or EC5?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone using HHs new connectors? They're sold under spektrum brand for some reason... the IC3 and IC5s. Thoughts on these? They seem more similar to XTs than HHs EC connectors.

Is anyone using HHs new connectors? They're sold under spektrum brand for some reason... the IC3 and IC5s. Thoughts on these? They seem more similar to XTs than HHs EC connectors.
They are supposed to be comparable with EC.. so the IC3 should work with ec3 and xt60. The IC5 will only work with the EC5.

It does look like the IC plug uses a split bullet on the Male side (same as the XT plugs), instead of the birdcage like the EC5. This is good, makes for a longer lasting plug.

I recently switched everything to XT90 as well. Really good connection, but sometimes a little hard to take apart. I consider that a good thing, as I've had different connectors that would come apart during hard bash sessions. Soldering was hard at first, but I learned that attaching a male and female together while you're doing it, makes for much better results. If I get a new rig that has different, I'll likely switch to the XT90. In the case of the new Arrmas, which will be using the new IC5 smart connector, probably going to have to buy an adapter.
Thread necro but.... you can adjust how tightly the XT90s grip. The pins are split in an X. On the male pins use needle nose pliers to squeeze the pin together tighter and it will go together and come apart more easily. If it's too lose just tap a punch or a small finish nail in the middle of the pins to push them apart, then squeeze back together a bit at a time until it's at the right level of "tightness" or friction.

Thread necro but.... you can adjust how tightly the XT90s grip. The pins are split in an X. On the male pins use needle nose pliers to squeeze the pin together tighter and it will go together and come apart more easily. If it's too lose just tap a punch or a small finish nail in the middle of the pins to push them apart, then squeeze back together a bit at a time until it's at the right level of "tightness" or friction.
Thanks for that, but my issue is the plastic housing. I guess during the soldering process, the plastic may shrink or swell a bit. I always use a male and female linked together when soldering, but haven't always been able to negate the result. Not that big of a problem though, as long as I don't pull out wires while trying to separate them lol.

Currently using Traxxas plugs but really like the es5 but seemed a little pricey last I looked. The design is definitely an improvement over Traxxas style plugs.

Thanks for that, but my issue is the plastic housing. I guess during the soldering process, the plastic may shrink or swell a bit. I always use a male and female linked together when soldering, but haven't always been able to negate the result. Not that big of a problem though, as long as I don't pull out wires while trying to separate them lol.
I thought mine was the plastic too, it seemed to be. I thought I melted it. But squeezing the pins foxes it for me every time.

I thought mine was the plastic too, it seemed to be. I thought I melted it. But squeezing the pins foxes it for me every time.
I will definitely check that then. Totally possible and now that I'm considering it, probably likely too. Don't think I check the pins on that one battery.

Hi, I have to do soldering for my new Kraton EXB roller. What do you suggest as mounting for connection of 2 lipo 3s ( how to connect them in a Y)?
Tks for any pictures..

I use the EC5 simply because I recently got back into the hobby 2 years ago and Arrmas come with that plug, if not for that probably would go with XT90.

I use XT90's vs EC5/IC5's and can be splitting hairs. The EC5 plastics are softer also IMO. FWIW. They both don't quite assemble the same. But same quality and grade, amp wise from what I see. I have soldered both types. Choosing one over the other is a personal call and depends how invested you have been with the XT90's, an older more mature design. The XT90's come in many knock off versions. Genuine "Amass" XT90's are what you want to source if using them. Horizon H. has a lock on the EC5/IC5 connector design and is why we see them on current Arrma's as of late. My Lipos are all XT90's from past years. I just convert my ESC's to same. Soldering is a just part of the hobby for me. I just buy XT90's in bulk. More convenient for me to use them. But for others, EC5 is also good. Whatever floats your boat. I don't believe in using any "Adapter Connectors" at the ESC connection. But fine for charging Lipo's.
I also feel if using 8S lipos and higher, a higher rated amp plug is in order. ( think Offshore Hobbies) I don't have any 8S ESC's, and others may differ on this.
Just my spin. :cool:

Whats the trick to doing the ec5's? Do you solder then push it in or do you push it in then solder? Reason I ask is my buddies kept pulling out of the plug.
Heat the metal on the plug and add a little solder (this is called "tinning"). Do the same on the wire. After this put the wire and metal plug together with just a little bit more solder and join the wire to the plug. Finally (once the solder has cooled) push the metal plug with the wire attached into the plastic connector.
Easier said than done but keep trying and keep the solder to a minimum while covering the wire.
Below is a fantastic beginners guide to soldering that everyone should watch to become better at soldering.
All the best.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyhZhfpaOKLMJTJ1jkF_pZ3YaAXpHPqaP

As far as soldering, I am IPC Certified and have been in electronics for about 40 years.
When I got back into the hobby I did a lot of research on these connectors and decided on the XT-90s, but I bought some XT-60s and even a couple of XT-150s. First, to slide on a connector and then pull it through a plastic housing ...... Apollo 11 had better wiring. I of course can do it, but it annoys the hell out of me when I have trouble, even setting up a device that requires an hour and a half of a tech [me], doing something which should take minutes. When I notice this increase in setup, I ask myself "How's Grandma going to do it".

And, for beginners, you better get an 80-watt iron. The way I solder is hot & fast in, and steady out. I even wished I still had my 250watt gun. At first, I was impressed at first with how sturdy they looked and their nice connections. Anyone planning on doing a lot of these should buy the jig that holds these connectors down.

For the money they charge, I had an idea of going to some kind of an automotive plug. I'm not a 1:1 car guy but I saw these connectors on a Mercedes that looked easy and tough. Ah, maybe it was just a long night.

-Dave

I don't mind either EC5 or XT90. I'm competent and experienced at soldering, so neither poses an issue for me.

I will say that both types have cheap / inferior / knockoff versions if you will, and I feel that this sometimes inaccurately forms people's opinions.

I also wish there was more solidarity and uniformity within the RC car world. So many battery connector types and receiver protocols, it's a bit annoying.

I like the IC5 variant however they're just stupidly overpriced so I have a hard time considering them. They have all the benefits of the XT90 (easy to solder and a sheath to cover exposed wiring) and due to the Horizon stronghold are one of the most common connectors in RTR's. Yet they priced them so absurdly I just can't stomach it.

So I'm leaning towards XT90 nowadays. As an added bonus I have a fondness for Turnigy lipos and they come equipped with XT90 connectors by default so less work for me.

My first RC came with XT90's so I just switched everything else I purchased over to the XT90's. I've been soldering since I was 5 yrs old so it's not a problem for me.

My first RC came with XT90's so I just switched everything else I purchased over to the XT90's. I've been soldering since I was 5 yrs old so it's not a problem for me.
It's not really a problem with the right support tools and a hot iron. But how is my grandma going to do it? What about the other 60% of the world who has little or no experience with solder. I know, the Deans were even worse. And I know, you get into this hobby, you do not have to be certified tech, but as parts get more expensive, RTR certainly helped. I used to only do kits. Now, it's a blessing it's built already because you're going in there sometime.

Guess I slept on the wrong side of the bed. Can't be, my wife would incapacitated me somehow. Sorry for the rating. My spool and 1100kv come in a couple of days for my Limitless. My attention will be focused elsewhere. I started too late this season - South Carolina.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back