Do you run dogbones dry or lube them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Curious what people do. I've been lubing mine routinely with Triflow, but not sure it helps at all. They're more quiet when they've been lubed, but I'm definitely still getting wear. Starting to run them dry all the time now.

All Dogbones + CVD's, pivot balls, ball cups, suspension pins, and the center spur/pinion are made to be run dry. Any wet lube will only attract dirt. If you are really wanting to lube these items, use a "dry" lube - one with powered Teflon in a light mineral sprits type oil. Let the sprits totally evaporate before you run. I do run a dry lube on the pins and pivot balls, but run my driveline dry.

I use dry teflon lube on cvd's but leave dogbones dry.

All Dogbones + CVD's, pivot balls, ball cups, suspension pins, and the center spur/pinion are made to be run dry. Any wet lube will only attract dirt. If you are really wanting to lube these items, use a "dry" lube - one with powered Teflon in a light mineral sprits type oil. Let the sprits totally evaporate before you run. I do run a dry lube on the pins and pivot balls, but run my driveline dry.

Not according to the manual FWIW. They recommend oiling them every 20 runs as part of "driveshaft maintenance". I have not tried a dry lube, but ignoring them all together destroys the orings in no time. And once those orings fail, dog bones start flying and drive cups get chewed up pretty quick, on my truck at least.

IMG_0080.PNG

IMG_0079.PNG

What O-rings are on the dog bones?

And, yeah, I'll disagree with the manual on this one. Add oil there, and you will have a drive cup full of sand and dirt pretty quick.

What O-rings are on the dog bones?

And, yeah, I'll disagree with the manual on this one. Add oil there, and you will have a drive cup full of sand and dirt pretty quick.

Some models have them in the cup to stabilize the dogbones. They also lower noise.

Some models have them in the cup to stabilize the dogbones. They also lower noise.

Right, I assumed this was on all rwd Arrmas but I guess not. Like I said above, bad things happen on Granites at least when those are damaged or missing. Oil does make them last longer in my experience and my granite is almost exclusively in dirt and sand..

Curious what people do. I've been lubing mine routinely with Triflow, but not sure it helps at all. They're more quiet when they've been lubed, but I'm definitely still getting wear. Starting to run them dry all the time now.
Great question. I don't think any liquid lubricant is going to help much. I'm going to try powder graphite. I've used it before and the results were awesome.

In my HPI Baja it has boot covers on each end of the dogbone and they are filled with grease

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back