Do you store lipo’s in your garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Typhon TLR
Hi All,

I’m sure this question has been asked a lot already. But here we go - one more time :cool:

I’ve got adequate 1st level storage (Bat Box, ammo cans, lipo bags, etc). However I have not been storing them in my garage due to temp extremes. I’m in TX, so it gets hot, and REALLY hot in the garage. (Recently cold as well - lol)

As I’m starting to accumulate more, and larger batteries. Not a fan of keeping them in the house anymore.

Any issues with storing in the garage with temps reaching 100+F or below freezing. (My garage is insulated for crap)

Thanks All!

Edit - I have tons of extra bricks, etc - so easy to build a small secondary containment in the garage as well.

Hello from Florida...same issue. I store mine in spare bedroom in ammo can. Probably not the best idea but like you say, temps are extreme in the garage!!

BBQ pit is a decent idea too.

Hello from Florida...same issue. I store mine in spare bedroom in ammo can. Probably not the best idea but like you say, temps are extreme in the garage!!
Yup, my garage easily gets over 100F, on a regular basis.

Cant imagine that’s good for them. But on the other hand, contained fire in the garage vs house..

Really wondering if those temps could increase the likelihood of a catastrophic event..(vs just reduced useful life)

BBQ pit is a decent idea too.
A friend stored his LiPos in his gas grill, in a LiPo bag. Admittedly, this was for a while, like they sat for a few years. When he checked them, they were puffed, and no good. He'd put them at storage voltage when putting them away.

I stored mine in the fridge, at storage voltage, in a LiPo bag. I got mine out a few weeks ago (stored >5 years), and they seem fine in my new truck.

I think the (inactive) grill is very safe, since obviously it's meant for fire. But I don't think the temperature ranges (sitting in a black grill, in the sun, in summer) is good for the batteries.

For storage and managing fire risk, I saw an interesting idea. Like putting them in a fireproof container, with sand below them (you can cover the sand, to avoid a mess). And sand suspended above them, such as in a plastic bag. If, god forbid, something catches on fire, the heat melts the plastic bag, which covers the batteries with sand. Hopefully smothering the fire. Doesn't mean you'll avoid *everything*, but still, covering the batteries has to be better than nothing.

Yup, my garage easily gets over 100F, on a regular basis.

Cant imagine that’s good for them. But on the other hand, contained fire in the garage vs house..

Really wondering if those temps could increase the likelihood of a catastrophic event..(vs just reduced useful life)
Wondered that myself. I've read extreme cold will affect run time but not sure about heat and effect on longevity. Can't imagine its good for them. Luckily, I CAN store them in garage this time of year for a brief few months anyway.
A friend stored his LiPos in his gas grill, in a LiPo bag. Admittedly, this was for a while, like they sat for a few years. When he checked them, they were puffed, and no good. He'd put them at storage voltage when putting them away.

I stored mine in the fridge, at storage voltage, in a LiPo bag. I got mine out a few weeks ago (stored >5 years), and they seem fine in my new truck.

I think the (inactive) grill is very safe, since obviously it's meant for fire. But I don't think the temperature ranges (sitting in a black grill, in the sun, in summer) is good for the batteries.

For storage and managing fire risk, I saw an interesting idea. Like putting them in a fireproof container, with sand below them (you can cover the sand, to avoid a mess). And sand suspended above them, such as in a plastic bag. If, god forbid, something catches on fire, the heat melts the plastic bag, which covers the batteries with sand. Hopefully smothering the fire. Doesn't mean you'll avoid *everything*, but still, covering the batteries has to be better than nothing.
Yes, I've seen the sand method mentioned on here. Storing lipos where op and I live anywhere out of an AC environment is pretty much out of the question I would think except a few winter months. Good idea but I doubt the girlfriend will like the fridge idea. She keeps it well stocked lol.

Last edited:
Also remember, with proper care, periodic checks when stored for a while, and they aren't damaged, batts at storage charge are very stable and pretty safe.

It's during charging, being fully charged for more than a couple days and when they are low, but not storage mode, is when they can be volatile.

I did a lot of research on this as I have over 30 lipos. (y) Mine are stored in basement, in bat safes (why not), 10ft from an exterior door (for a quick getaway) with fire extinguisher, fire blanket and metal pail close by.

Thinking of adding a security camera to my current setup (all exterior cameras) in basement facing all batts. So at least if I'm out of town and a fire starts, I'll get notified and can call 911 immediately. Better than just letting it burn the whole house down before anyone knows. 🤷‍♂️😁✌️

haha oh man I meant putting a small grill in the house. Like one of these

1674172133462.png

I have that exact weber table top grill. I could put the ammo can inside the grill for added protection I suppose.

haha oh man I meant putting a small grill in the house. Like one of these

View attachment 271327

Oh, gotcha, thanks! I do also kind of like the idea of something like an ammo box with the seals removed, so that it can vent. That would avoid something a grill lid being pushed off by a sudden whole bunch of smoke/gas.

That's similar to my setup. I keep my lipos in my basement inside ammo cans that are inside a old wood stove. On top of the vent opening there's a 50lb bag of sand.

If flames somehow get up to the bag it will dump all the sand down.

Just think ALL those Lipo batteries in your Local Hobby Shop!!!
Do they keep them in a Bat-Safe or even take them out of the paper packaging they come in from the factory?

Just keep your batteries in a ammo can (that's properly prepped for lipos) and keep them away from flammable things (gasoline cans, Gas water heaters, propane tanks etc. Usually these things are in Your Garage!) than you should be good.

Do they keep them in a Bat-Safe or even take them out of the paper packaging they come in from the factory?
Excellent points!! (y)

Just keep your batteries in an ammo can (that's properly prepped for lipos) and keep them away from flammable things (gasoline cans, Gas water heaters, propane tanks etc. Usually these things are in Your Garage!) than you should be good.
Valid points and makes 100% sense in a climate controlled environment.

I’m in the Dallas area as well, so you can relate to garage temps - lol. Still ok to store in garage?

That's a fair point. Though those ones also haven't been banged around, crashed, etc. So maybe not 100% apples-to-apples.

That's a fair point. Though those ones also haven't been banged around, crashed, etc. So maybe not 100% apples-to-apples.

😆
You're Assuming delivery personal and store employees/re-stockers are some of the best and Most caring folks of 'things' when they handle them...

Let alone the major distribution centers that all those parts/batteries must go thru to get to the LHS...

You might want to see/work at a warehouse or retail environment to know better than to think that... 🤯

Hi All,

I’m sure this question has been asked a lot already. But here we go - one more time :cool:

I’ve got adequate 1st level storage (Bat Box, ammo cans, lipo bags, etc). However I have not been storing them in my garage due to temp extremes. I’m in TX, so it gets hot, and REALLY hot in the garage. (Recently cold as well - lol)

As I’m starting to accumulate more, and larger batteries. Not a fan of keeping them in the house anymore.

Any issues with storing in the garage with temps reaching 100+F or below freezing. (My garage is insulated for crap)

Thanks All!

Edit - I have tons of extra bricks, etc - so easy to build a small secondary containment in the garage as well.
Yes I store mine in the garage too and yes we have the extreme temps too. Well maybe not extreme cold but it does get hot. But there's no chance I'm going to store them in the house.

I store them in a ammo box's which are stored in a thick metal tool box. Safe.

Yes I store mine in the garage too and yes we have the extreme temps too. Well maybe not extreme cold but it does get hot. But there's no chance I'm going to store them in the house.

I store them in an ammo box's which are stored in a thick metal tool box. Safe.
Thanks that’s helpful and good to know!

Thanks that’s helpful and good to know!

IF you use the ammo box for lipos storage... You must modify the rubber seal in the lid.
For your safety -in case the lipos catch fire- you'll end up with a metal bomb , if you don't.

I can't stress this point enough- make sure whatever 'container' you use that it should be properly vented ,NOT sealed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back