does a 2jz swapped mustang sound like a good idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been into the turbo charged car scene for a long time. While the 2JZ is legendary I can tell you this motor will take easily 2x the money to make it fast compared to other options. Assuming you are looking for 600+ HP the 2JZ is one of the least cost effective ways to get there. Yes the crank, pistons, rods, and main bearings are great. That is not everything when building an engine. When making 600+ hp it wont make good power till after 5500 rpm because it will need a 67mm turbo with serious lag.

What would you be using the car for? Drag or other uses? Going with an auto trans simplifies things a bit if you are only doing 1/8 or 1/4 mile runs. The getrag 6 speed from the twin turbo supra runs about 7k or more. Its outrageously priced. You can put the 350z trans (CD009 i think?) behind it with an adapter but wont hold 600+hp. The toyota R154 bolts right up but its junk beyond 450 hp. I believe there is a conversion to run the T-56 and TR6060. Those would be the best bet if you are sticking with a manual trans setup.

My recommendation is the LS series swaps. I know that is sort of a joke these days, but you simply cannot beat them for the money. You can get a 5.3 LS from a junk yard around $700 and make 700+ hp much easier. Hot rod magazine has done several articles on pulling a junk yard motor and making as much as 1200hp on them. I think one was even the 4.8L motor.

The real hidden cost of any turbo build is the fuel system. You can expect to spend 2,000.00 to 4,000.00 just on the fuel system when you get into the 600+ hp levels. Especially if the car/motor is not setup with a return fuel system and you have to make those changes.

Building a car is just never easy or cheap. I would say if you don't have at least 10k in the bank don't even get started. I built a track day car about 2 years ago. It was a 2001 MR2 spyder (2100 lbs) mid-engine setup. I swapped in a k20 Honda motor and 6-speed with LSD, 600 hp rated axles, full custom exhaust made in the garage, and a stand alone ECU. I had not even touched a turbo setup yet and it was over 10k.

The idea was to have a mid engine car with low weight. I couldn't afford the Lotus Elise and this was a close match in performance. My next build is going to be a 95' 240sx or 91-95 SC300 with an LS swap.

5.2 voodoo swap. Flat plane crank (sounds awesome) with a little valvetrain work you can hit 9000+ rpm. If 525 N/A hp is not enough blow it or turbo :)

5.2 voodoo swap. Flat plane crank (sounds awesome) with a little valvetrain work you can hit 9000+ rpm. If 525 N/A hp is not enough blow it or turbo :)
I am guessing of the OP is purchasing a V6 mustang, he wont be able to purchase a 13k motor setup.

I have been into the turbo charged car scene for a long time. While the 2JZ is legendary I can tell you this motor will take easily 2x the money to make it fast compared to other options. Assuming you are looking for 600+ HP the 2JZ is one of the least cost effective ways to get there. Yes the crank, pistons, rods, and main bearings are great. That is not everything when building an engine. When making 600+ hp it wont make good power till after 5500 rpm because it will need a 67mm turbo with serious lag.

What would you be using the car for? Drag or other uses? Going with an auto trans simplifies things a bit if you are only doing 1/8 or 1/4 mile runs. The getrag 6 speed from the twin turbo supra runs about 7k or more. Its outrageously priced. You can put the 350z trans (CD009 i think?) behind it with an adapter but wont hold 600+hp. The toyota R154 bolts right up but its junk beyond 450 hp. I believe there is a conversion to run the T-56 and TR6060. Those would be the best bet if you are sticking with a manual trans setup.

My recommendation is the LS series swaps. I know that is sort of a joke these days, but you simply cannot beat them for the money. You can get a 5.3 LS from a junk yard around $700 and make 700+ hp much easier. Hot rod magazine has done several articles on pulling a junk yard motor and making as much as 1200hp on them. I think one was even the 4.8L motor.

The real hidden cost of any turbo build is the fuel system. You can expect to spend 2,000.00 to 4,000.00 just on the fuel system when you get into the 600+ hp levels. Especially if the car/motor is not setup with a return fuel system and you have to make those changes.

Building a car is just never easy or cheap. I would say if you don't have at least 10k in the bank don't even get started. I built a track day car about 2 years ago. It was a 2001 MR2 spyder (2100 lbs) mid-engine setup. I swapped in a k20 Honda motor and 6-speed with LSD, 600 hp rated axles, full custom exhaust made in the garage, and a stand alone ECU. I had not even touched a turbo setup yet and it was over 10k.

The idea was to have a mid engine car with low weight. I couldn't afford the Lotus Elise and this was a close match in performance. My next build is going to be a 95' 240sx or 91-95 SC300 with an LS swap.

I remember reading that article about the junkyard 4.8 iirc they didn't touch the bottom end at all, just heads, a cam and a big ol turbo.

so i know a person with an old v6 mustang 96 is the year i wanted to know if putting a 2jz into the mustang is a good idea
A 2JZ and any car is a good idea you just can't beat the toughness of that engine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back