Infraction Does a TP4080 2022KV Motor Pulling 629A on 6S Sound Reasonable to You?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diem Turner

Yes...I have a Premium Member
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
I was just curious if this was normal for this motor or something I should be concerned about. I'm running an XLX2, 30/31T gearing, SMC-SRD 6500mAh 3S lipos, GRP wheels, 8AWG wire, 8mm bullet & QS8 connectors all around.
1654430285533.png

Yes.
With that gearing and 6s along with a 2022kv motor ( 4080 can), you will be up there. Curious what actual external temps you are getting, right after each pass, with a Temp Gun vs the logs.
Ripple volts looks perfect. FWIW. (XLX2 (y))
What are your PB speeds with that setup?
:cool:

Last edited:
Yes. W
With that gearing and 6s along with a 2022kv motor, you will be up there.
Ripple volts looks perfect. FWIW.
Awesome, thanks bro. Yeah the XLX2 is already really good on ripple but I have a Dr. AB Racing 8S cap pack patched in and this is the first time it's gone over 0.59V. I figured, if nothing else, it was a good system stress test :ROFLMAO:

Edit: 118mph. Says at the top of the graph ;-)
Edit 2: I have a Futaba temp sensor and have it on my transmitter display. Ambient temp was around 60°F. After one pull motor was around 100°F and after two back to back around 130°F. This is without fans running. With two server fans running on 2S (can bump it up to 3S if needed) it stays around 115-120°F.
Edit 3: FWIW I don't monitor my ESC temperatures. It's so rare that the fan on that thing even turns on. And in the case that it does, I have the HO Powerhobby 50x50x40mm fan on it.
In light of all this I think I'll probably step back down to the 1717 and see how far I can push it on 6S. PB thus far has been 127mph with 34/31T gearing and I think it still has a good bit more in it. 34T pinion is the largest 5mm I have so I'm gonna start shrinking the spool gear. I think I'll stick to 8S with the TP to drop amp pull a little as voltage sag on 6S was pretty dramatic.

Last edited:
Looks like your setup was well thought out.
A nice setup there.
Im running 2200kv/6s Sensored HW combo setup. Custom soldered my Cap pack. She runs slightly hot in 75F+ ambient conditions, Nothing a cool down can't handle. Recovers quickly
29/34. My Lim.
I've been running 2 6s bricks wired in parallel, with great results. Improves my operational C rate/ capacity.
But my 2 Yoowow 5kmah 3s Graphenes rule. Lightens the chassis.

Last edited:
Looks like your setup was well thought out.
A nice setup there.
Im running 2200kv/6s Sensored HW combo setup. Custom soldered my Cap pack. She runs slightly hot in 75F+ ambient conditions, Nothing a cool down can't handle. Recovers quickly
29/34. My Lim.
I've been running 2 6s bricks wired in parallel, with great results. Improves my operational C rate/ capacity.
But my 2 Yoowow 5kmah 3s Graphenes rule. Lightens the chassis.
Nice! I need to get a pair of 6S lipos at some point. Currently I'm soldering up four 4S lipos for future 8S parallel runs and upscaling the 12AWG leads to 8AWG. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about Yoowow recently. May have to give them a try :)

Nice! I need to get a pair of 6S lipos at some point. Currently I'm soldering up four 4S lipos for future 8S parallel runs and upscaling the 12AWG leads to 8AWG. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about Yoowow recently. May have to give them a try :)
Yoowoo Graphene are fine packs, but they won’t be the best ever. They are a great value for how good they are. Turnigy Graphene Panthers, SMC SRD, or CNHL 70C packs will likely give you slightly better passes, but they all cost more.

I also had fun running 2 4s 7k mah Gens of Ace lipos wired in parallel. Impressive speed for 4s volts.

I also had fun running 2 4s 7k mah Gens of Ace lipos wired in parallel. Impressive speed for 4s volts.
Yeah running parallel definitely gives it more bawls. I have two CNHL 4S 9500, two CNHL 4S 8k & 8.2k (Li-HV) and two of the Genspooper 4S 11k (granted, they're heavy but I've been pretty happy with the 3S 15k lipos I have from them) that I'm looking forward to testing in parallel with the 1721 to see what I can get at lower voltages. I'm going to do some head to head testing with these sets to compare performance and put the results up here once I'm done.

I was just curious if this was normal for this motor or something I should be concerned about. I'm running an XLX2, 30/31T gearing, SMC-SRD 6500mAh 3S lipos, GRP wheels, 8AWG wire, 8mm bullet & QS8 connectors all around.
View attachment 221707

I am late to the party here, but recently interested in a TP4080 and this thread caught my eye.

Given what we are doing on 3s in our current challenge and going 120+ mph with around half the wattage this log is concerning.
(TP4070cm 3200kv on 3s and 124mph pulled a peak of 6,239 watts or 8.3 HP)

Maybe the throttle pull was a bit short? Adding another 3 seconds to the pull could make a world of difference.

I am late to the party here, but recently interested in a TP4080 and this thread caught my eye.

Given what we are doing on 3s in our current challenge and going 120+ mph with around half the wattage this log is concerning.
(TP4070cm 3200kv on 3s and 124mph pulled a peak of 6,239 watts or 8.3 HP)

Maybe the throttle pull was a bit short? Adding another 3 seconds to the pull could make a world of difference.
I only had about 1000ft and it was indeed a short throttle pull and, having seen what I've seen since starting this thread, I have come to the understanding that this wasn't anything atypical or unusual. It was my very first use of the motor and I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything weird going on. It's a beast of a motor (it made 15hp on 6S) made for 8S operation and "under volting" it at 6S is going to up the amps because electricity. The idea of running this thing on 8S terrifies me just a little bit if I'm honest.

I only had about 1000ft and it was indeed a short throttle pull and, having seen what I've seen since starting this thread, I have come to the understanding that this wasn't anything atypical or unusual. It was my very first use of the motor and I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't anything weird going on. It's a beast of a motor (it made 15hp on 6S) made for 8S operation and "under volting" it at 6S is going to up the amps because electricity. The idea of running this thing on 8S terrifies me just a little bit if I'm honest.
Yeah I can imagine.
Now pulling 120+ speeds on 3s I don't know how I would handle 8s again. I might pull the trigger on a Wye wind TP4080 soon, but don't really need the extra wattage handling just yet.

Yeah I can imagine.
Now pulling 120+ speeds on 3s I don't know how I would handle 8s again. I might pull the trigger on a Wye wind TP4080 soon.
That would be sweet. I'd love to A/B compare the D and Y wind 4080s at some point.
lol, yeah. 8S seems like a far off prospect at present. After converting my whip for track racing, I did its maiden voyage on 3S and then 4S on the second outing and the power/speed difference going up just one cell was nuts on 20/46T gearing. It was easily 15-20mph faster at the top end. Granted, the 4S was a big boy at 11,000mAh but still, the difference was flabbergasting.

That would be sweet. I'd love to A/B compare the D and Y wind 4080s at some point.
lol, yeah. 8S seems like a far off prospect at present. After converting my whip for track racing, I did its maiden voyage on 3S and then 4S on the second outing and the power/speed difference going up just one cell was nuts on 20/46T gearing. It was easily 15-20mph faster at the top end.
The output wattage goes up so much just with 1 cell difference. Just looking at my 2s speed runs vs 3s I have already picked up 25 mph and pretty sure it has more in it.

The output wattage goes up so much just with 1 cell difference. Just looking at my 2s speed runs vs 3s I have already picked up 25 mph and pretty sure it has more in it.
I've said it before in public and in private and I'll say it again - a big thanks to you for putting forward this 3S challenge. It really helped reorient my brain and how I view the process, how I approach speed running and really getting me away from the mindset of just throwing money and power at going fast. It has now become all about power envelope maximization which really gets you into the details of "what else can I do to make what I have better?". I've definitely spent a lot of money (for my means anyways) on this car and I feel like this has, in a round about way, helped prevent me from trashing the car out before its time had come. Before trying it out I never would have believed that 120mph+ on 3S would even be feasible. So thank you for helping my understanding of the process and for helping me get more enjoyment out of my car than I otherwise might have, whether that was your intent or not. I'm more than happy to see it as a happy accident of circumstance :) Top notch brother 🙏

I've said it before in public and in private and I'll say it again - a big thanks to you for putting forward this 3S challenge. It really helped reorient my brain and how I view the process, how I approach speed running and really getting me away from the mindset of just throwing money and power at going fast. It has now become all about power envelope maximization which really gets you into the details of "what else can I do to make what I have better?". I've definitely spent a lot of money (for my means anyways) on this car and I feel like this has, in a round about way, helped prevent me from trashing the car out before its time had come. Before trying it out I never would have believed that 120mph+ on 3S would even be feasible. So thank you for helping my understanding of the process and for helping me get more enjoyment out of my car than I otherwise might have, whether that was your intent or not. I'm more than happy to see it as a happy accident of circumstance :) Top notch brother 🙏

Likewise, brother I am going through the same learning experiences. At first, I was only doing this because my roads are trash and won't support really high speeds. I have always been laser-focused on that #1 spot building extreme machines for 200+ speeds.

I decided to run low cell to enjoy the hobby at lower speeds while finishing the 200+ build. It has been a very enjoyable (more than expected) and great learning experience doing this 3s challenge. I was also shocked to see the speeds we are getting out of these heavy 1/7 rigs. Truth be told I think @K-BASH pushed me to do it....

On a side note, we all build a bond as we are learning and helping each other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back