Does Anyone Have A DIY on Soldering A Range Extender Antenna Cable Onto The Board of A Radio Link RC6GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Notorious
I recently purchased one of the more common range extenders I have seen on Youtube, but cannot find a detailed video of how to attach the antenna cable to the board itself. Also, some people are saying remove the stock antenna and other videos are saying leave it. Any detailed pictures of pointers on how to attach the cable from the extender to the board would be greatly appreciated. I will include a picture of the range extender I am using as well.

range extender.jpg

Open up the transmitter. The antenna should be connected to the board via an IPEX connector that looks like this:

1654324399679.png

Gently pry it off with a jeweler's screwdriver and connect the other end of this wire in its place:

1654324473366.png

It shouldn't require any soldering. Hope this helps :)

Open up the transmitter. The antenna should be connected to the board via an IPEX connector that looks like this:

View attachment 221488
Gently pry it off with a jeweler's screwdriver and connect the other end of this wire in its place:

View attachment 221489

It shouldn't require any soldering. Hope this helps :)
Hm. I kept hearing that was only on the Spectrum and Futaba radios. I'm hoping it is just plug and play, but every video I have seen is a time lapse or sped up and there is some sort of splice on the wire from the booster and is soldered to the antenna port on the chip with the radio link.

That’s what I’ve seen in videos also on the radio links this looks like a horrible soldering job but there is no connector inside the rc6gs
9E3E6F66-E072-4B96-81FB-A05DF7DDC6D3.png

I would do it better if I was soldiering it, but this was from the internet sry. If your not handy soldiering you might try to find an electronics repair person that can help
Seeing this photo I can’t believe this guys booster even works 😂

Just throwing this out there but the radio link can run on up to 4s. I run with two friends who use radiolink and we made a hook up for a 3s battery and that helped increase their range quite a bit. 4s would be even better.
I’m running a 3pv with that same range extender and it was plug and play for me with the futaba unit.

That’s what I’ve seen in videos also on the radio links this looks like a horrible soldering job but there is no connector inside the rc6gs View attachment 221491
I would do it better if I was soldiering it, but this was from the internet sry. If your not handy soldiering you might try to find an electronics repair person that can help
I believe that’s from one of the videos i saw. Def part of the reason i came here to ask. I’m suprised he didn’t melt the board tbh lol. I’m prob just gonna open it up and see.
Just throwing this out there but the radio link can run on up to 4s. I run with two friends who use radiolink and we made a hook up for a 3s battery and that helped increase their range quite a bit. 4s would be even better.
I’m running a 3pv with that same range extender and it was plug and play for me with the futaba unit.
Very true. I’m running a 3s lipping in it now and it seems to be handling 3800ft runs decently. I was more or less doing it to not have to worry about range with possible disturbances and to have more range to grow into as I progress. I wish radio link made it plug and play but unfortunately no dice there.

Last edited:
Lol yup it’s from a YouTube video 😂 I couldn’t believe how bad of a soldiering job he posted. I might not of shown it personally
If your a decent solderer you could do it just be light with the solder.

I believe that’s from one of the videos i saw. Def part of the reason i came here to ask. I’m suprised he didn’t melt the board tbh lol. I’m prob just gonna open it up and see.

Very true. I’m running a 3s lipping in it now and it seems to be handling 3800ft runs decently. I was more or less doing it to not have to worry about range with possible disturbances and to have more range to grow into as I progress. I wish radio link made it plug and play but unfortunately no dice there.
I wouldn’t be too concerned yet.
My friends runs are around 5200 feet total. You still have room to go there

lol, wow. My bad then. I was under the misconception that they all connected the antenna in roundabout the same way. And yes...the picture of that soldering job is atrocious 😆

I wouldn’t be too concerned yet.
My friends runs are around 5200 feet total. You still have room to go there
Damn 5200ft from a stock radio is crazy. Guess I got some time to figure it out indeed.
lol, wow. My bad then. I was under the misconception that they all connected the antenna in roundabout the same way. And yes...the picture of that soldering job is atrocious 😆
I wish. That would be too easy lol.

Just curious why you even need a Range extender for an RC6GS to begin with??:unsure: If having range issues, check your Rx and it's installation.
Range issues are usually located at the Rx. And Not because of this Radio.
I run mine with the Dual antenna Radiolink Rx (R7FG/$22.) and my range is spot on. Best in class. Telemetry installed as well . I cannot even see my rig a half mile away. Range tested and all.
How far can you actually see? Plan on driving with Binoculars? FPV goggles??:LOL:
Why a range extender/booster with the RC6GS?:cool:

Just curious why you even need a Range extender for an RC6GS to begin with??:unsure: If having range issues, check your Rx and it's installation.
I run mine with the Dual antenna Radiolink Rx (R7FG/$22.) and my range is spot on. Best in class. Telemetry installed as well . I cannot even see my rig a half mile away. Range tested and all.
How far can you actually see? Plan on driving with Binoculars? FPV goggles??:LOL:
agreed I can’t see my boat when I tested the range with it. It was over 2500’ away on water. so that’s just about a mile of range on the rc6gs and the r7fg receiver with dual antenna actually under the hatch in my tfl pursuit.

It’s hard to find roads to even utilize that much space.
I’m lucky that the two roads I run on are 2700 and 3400 feet.
My fastest runs showing close to 6000 feet on runs.
With single motor cars, 160mph+ will require 4800feet or above

Not really that’s it needed right now, it was more as a preventive measure if I run at a spot with less range due to interferance. Also nice to have a farther max range as i progress since I wasn’t sure first hand how good the radio link range was. Binoculars would be good though. Maybe I’d actually land a linear throttle pull over a mile with binos lol.

Not really that’s it needed right now, it was more as a preventive measure if I run at a spot with less range due to interferance. Also nice to have a farther max range as i progress since I wasn’t sure first hand how good the radio link range was. Binoculars would be good though. Maybe I’d actually land a linear throttle pull over a mile with binos lol.
I’m pretty fortunate to have the longer road I run on but even when I got to the farthest point of where I start it would cause a second or so delay until I started running a higher voltage antenna.
The only thing I can think of with the radiolink is you would have to try and max the range by testing it. You really do want to hear more then a one second delay, because from there you may lose control of the car

To my knowledge it was marketed as BYOT (Bring Your Own Telescope).

To my knowledge it was marketed as BYOT (Bring Your Own Telescope).
The second antenna laying sideways also helps pick up a better signal.
Unfortunately for the setups my friends run, we have bodies that are reinforced with carbon fiber so the antenna signal doesn’t go thru the body. Antennas have to be sticking out of the body

CF doesn't help. Yep. Dual ant. work best 90 degrees to each other. (the last 20-30mm of the leads)(y)If feasible.
I have both of my Antennas 3 inches apart ,straight up and sit 5 inches tall in tubes. Well out side the body. Mounted inside the Rx box. My Lim.

The second antenna laying sideways also helps pick up a better signal.
Unfortunately for the setups my friends run, we have bodies that are reinforced with carbon fiber so the antenna signal doesn’t go thru the body. Antennas have to be sticking out of the body
I have no issue getting the 2 antennas high and above the body.
No matter the type of body, there is plenty of ant lead to exit the body. (R7FG Rx.)
Plenty enough range to get to 120+ mph IMHO.
Do a range test, then position yourself in the middle of the Ranges full distance.
I just don't think any Signal Booster is necessary with this RC6GS radio.:rolleyes: Same for the RC4GS.

No antenna should lay flat inside on the chassis. An Alloy metal chassis becomes the Ground Plane, Signal gets weak laying ant. parallel to the Ground lane. Pointing them to the sky is best , well above the ground plane vertically. With CF bodies and even CF chassis, this becomes much more critical. CF has Faraday properties. Bad for signal penetration.

20220605_104858.jpg

Last edited:
That’s what I’ve seen in videos also on the radio links this looks like a horrible soldering job but there is no connector inside the rc6gs View attachment 221491

Dear lord.. what kind of soldering job is that!?

That's painful to look at...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back