Does anyone have diagnostic suggestions for my Kraton issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorWickedStix

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Typhon 3s
As the title says I’m still having weird issues with my Kraton. Since my last run a couple days ago now ive lost steering completely and foreword and reverse are intermittent. Ive tried to reset the esc but feel like I’m not doing something right. Ive tried following spektrums video on resetting the esc and it doesn’t seem to work. Lol. I do realize most don’t like the spektrum products but id like to see if i can get this sorted out before biting the bullet on a new esc/motor combo. (Researched the CC Mamba Monster 8S combo with 1717 motor) seems like the best combo. If I can’t get the issues I’m having sorted out then i will have to pull the trigger. Just want to figure things out before giving up. Lol.
Or Maby I’m just boned and will have to spend the money……. 🤷🏼‍♂️😩

Also side note the weather has absolutely crapped the bed outside so I’m not necessarily in a hurry. Just frustrated seeing it sit on the table in front of me and knowing it’s taunting me. 😂

Sounds like a bad esc to me. Sill have warranty? Use it or replace with aftermarket esc. Use the motor, just update the esc.

I'd try disconnecting the servo from your receiver and see if you still have issues with forward and reverse. You may have a short that could be draining power from your esc. Try each separately and see what you get. Watch for smoke though, not promising when things stop working like that...

Sounds like a bad esc to me. Sill have warranty? Use it or replace with aftermarket esc. Use the motor, just update the esc.
No warranty. I bought it used.
I'd try disconnecting the servo from your receiver and see if you still have issues with forward and reverse. You may have a short that could be draining power from your esc. Try each separately and see what you get. Watch for smoke though, not promising when things stop working like that...
Did you verify it's not the servo causing this?

Unplug servo and see how your throttle response is.
Well i unplugged the servo and voila i have throttle again. Lol. About crapped my pants. (It is on a stand so the tires just went. No car taking off though). Looks like I’m gonna have to look into a new servo for one. Lol.
Thanks for the help. Lol. Never would have thought the steering would cause no throttle. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
As the title says I’m still having weird issues with my Kraton. Since my last run a couple days ago now ive lost steering completely and foreword and reverse are intermittent. Ive tried to reset the esc but feel like I’m not doing something right. Ive tried following spektrums video on resetting the esc and it doesn’t seem to work. Lol. I do realize most don’t like the spektrum products but id like to see if i can get this sorted out before biting the bullet on a new esc/motor combo. (Researched the CC Mamba Monster 8S combo with 1717 motor) seems like the best combo. If I can’t get the issues I’m having sorted out then i will have to pull the trigger. Just want to figure things out before giving up. Lol.
Or Maby I’m just boned and will have to spend the money……. 🤷🏼‍♂️😩

Also side note the weather has absolutely crapped the bed outside so I’m not necessarily in a hurry. Just frustrated seeing it sit on the table in front of me and knowing it’s taunting me. 😂
If the Esc doesn't beeps u donei.uad the same problem if not reset the transmitter, look for vids on it that could resolve your problem

You were told that the Stocker servo can cause this. Usually does. You are not alone with this.;)
At least your ESC is Fine. (y)(y)(y)
Get youself an upgrade servo.
Stay away from another stocker servo or Spektrum altogether.

Well i unplugged the servo and voila i have throttle again. Lol. About crapped my pants. (It is on a stand so the tires just went. No car taking off though). Looks like I’m gonna have to look into a new servo for one. Lol.
Thanks for the help. Lol. Never would have thought the steering would cause no throttle. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yup servo was basically causing the esc to brown out.

If you are on a budget these servos from Amazon work very well. The review from SC is actually from the man right above @SrC https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Coreless-Digital-Stainless-arduino/dp/B07S9XZYN2/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XQAJLRGNEUGT&keywords=ds3235+pro+servo&qid=1671336927&sprefix=ds3235,aps,112&sr=8-3&th=1

You will also need a 25T servo horn as the stock one is 23T and only Spektrum and Batan use a 23T spline.

Official Arrma servo horn https://www.amazon.com/ARAAR340061-ARA340061-Aluminum-Servo-AR340061/dp/B092SXQR29/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2RF0JHYDOZX8K&keywords=AR340061&qid=1671337075&sprefix=ar340061,aps,115&sr=8-3

I bought one of these to test but it will be a while before I have a chance to actually test it out in case you want to test one as well https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZLLCXWW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

-edit- And while I was looking for the above servo I realized I bought the wrong one from Amazon :( I bought this one instead https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTY668R?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Glad you found it! When the servo dies it often over loads (shorts) the BEC in the esc.

People call it an ESC brown out, your lucky it didn't fry the esc or your receiver 😀

+!.
Been many a fried Spektrum ESC due to those crappy stocker S652 servos. I tossed mine out the box. Never chanced it.

I ve been havin a discussion w someone about this. Apparently the Spektrum servos advertise 7.4v operating voltage but also 7.2v is what they can take. The 6S line ESC s come with 7.4v BEC by default and might be slowly killing the servos and so even the esc that 0.2v difference. (All a theory btw)
screenshot:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218-074050.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218-074050.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
I ve been havin a discussion w someone about this. Apparently the Spektrum servos advertise 7.4v operating voltage but also 7.2v is what they can take. The 6S line ESC s come with 7.4v BEC by default and might be slowly killing the servos and so even the esc that 0.2v difference. (All a theory btw)
screenshot:
I noticed that the stock servo was only rated to 7.2v as well. I have been meaning to contact Horizon about that and find out if it is a typo, because Spektrum's product descriptions are notorious for containing conflicting and incorrect information.

I noticed that the stock servo was only rated to 7.2v as well. I have been meaning to contact Horizon about that and find out if it is a typo, because Spektrum's product descriptions are notorious for containing conflicting and incorrect information.
I ve had the investigation of my life working out whats going on w their smaller ESCs, because online it said 7.4v BEC option, but you could never change it in the ESC menu. Had to order the programming card v2, connect it to the ESC and PC at the same time, upgrade the ESC to a firmware that actually does allow us to change BEC voltage and so now it worths me buying and installing a higher voltage servo and run it on 7.4v. the upgrade also allowed me to change timings.

screenshot:
There might be something to your theory. When I told LHS guy of my recent S652 servo gone bad, he said lower BEC voltage to 6.0
Looks like I’m gonna have to look into a new servo for one. Lol.
Let us know what servo you decide to buy. Lots of us people with stock S652 will eventually need to know. ;)

Last edited:
There might be something to your theory. When I told LHS guy of my recent S652 servo gone bad, he said lower BEC voltage to 6.0

Let us know what servo you decide to buy. Lots of us people with stock S652 will eventually need to know. ;)
Yeah isn't it set to 7.4v by default?

Idk if the voltage is what kills the stock servos I honestly think they are just crappy servos. The servos in the 3s line die constantly as well and they only run at 6V despite being also rated to 7.2v input voltage.

Yeah isn't it set to 7.4v by default?

Idk if the voltage is what kills the stock servos I honestly think they are just crappy servos. The servos in the 3s line die constantly as well and they only run at 6V despite being also rated to 7.2v input voltage.
+1 on the crappy stock servos. Already have warranty replacement #2 en route from HH.

7.4 is the default and I double-checked via ESC programming…

Just happened to remember, LHS guy also said buy a replacement servo with a higher voltage rating than you intend to use. Guess that gives a little headroom.

Ended up buying this one. hope it will work well.

87D85D51-BCEF-4642-9C5A-9DCAE0D2F467.png

I pulled the stock servo out and took it all apart. I can’t see anything wrong with it that i can tell but either way it’s getting replaced. Lol.

Last edited:
Ended up buying this one. hope it will work well.

View attachment 263545
I pulled the stock servo out and took it all apart. I can’t see anything wrong with it that i can tell but either way it’s getting replaced. Lol.

Usually the motors, potentoimeters or circuit boards burn up

2-tenths of a volt more BEC is of no great consequence for most any Servo.
But yeah Spektrum specs are all over the place. Often mismatched components.
I remember when the Arrma OG 6s servo was an Analog one. ( Not digital) It came with rigs having Spektrum AVC Rx's. And if you read the AVC literature, it clearly states not to use an analog servo. Yet Arrma was selling it that way. AVC radios along with the Analog servos. Servos would burn up. (my V1 Infraction)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back