Does anyone offer a ceramic bearing for the 4985 1650?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use trbrc for all my bearings, super nice guy and knows his stuff. Not just what he sells, but what models they go to ect. Motor bearings are a specific bearing made for motors, not just the right size general ceramic hybrid ect. He saved me from making a mistake on my motor rebuild and actually righted an amazon screw up of his bearings that he had nothing to do with. Can’t recommend enough.
https://trbrc.com/
Yeah the owner is a nice guy and spent much time on the phone with me talking RC bearings and RC in general. (y)
I always recommend TRBRC. Motor bearings have a higher Abec bearing rating. High temp grease. (y)

Yeah the owner is a nice guy and spent much time on the phone with me talking RC bearings and RC in general. (y)
I always recommend TRBRC. Motor bearings have a higher Abec bearing rating. High temp grease. (y)
I buy all my bulk bearings from him.

Are the ones from boca the correct ones though? I'm about to pay...

Boca is very knowledeable, They rarely make mistakes when it comes to sizing. Great support if an issue. A well established business.
The only few issues I had were a few missing bearings here and there in large sets. Someone counted wrong. Boca shipped the missing ones no issue fast.
That has happened with other bearing companies though.
@FatCatRC They look correct to me as Motor bearings go. Temps to 120C degrees. High abec rating. they are stainless steel seals and races FWIW. Wont rust. ?‍♂️
You can always place a call tomorrow to them if you want to be sure and order direct from them over the phone. I usually call ,because they sometimes have other options. They sell bearings for every single product in the world not just RC related.. Good to talk with them first if there is any concern.

Last edited:
Boca is very knowledeable, They rarely make mistakes when it comes to sizing. Great support if an issue. A well established business.
The only few issues I had were a few missing bearings here and there in large sets. Someone counted wrong. Boca shipped the missing ones no issue fast.
That has happened with other bearing companies though.
@FatCatRC They look correct to me as Motor bearings go. Temps to 120C degrees. High abec rating.
You can always place a call tomorrow to them if you want to be sure and order direct from them over the phone
good idea. I trust you guys though.

Do ceramic bearings really make a difference? I really can't see the benefit for bashing. Maybe in ultra competitive situations were every little bit counts?
^^^ Good point. I think if you like maintaining them, they may be worth it. But to me the price point has its limits also. Everyones wallet is different. Motors may be one advantage because when motor bearings fail, it can brick the whole motor. I just cant see spending $80.+ for bearings on a motor that costs the same. Full rig basher sets maybe not. Maybe for high speed runs yes.

Boca also has a live chat, I cannot remember who I talked to over there but they were extremely helpful.
Do ceramic bearings really make a difference? I really can't see the benefit for bashing. Maybe in ultra competitive situations were every little bit counts?
In the motor in theory yes, less drag = less heat.

^^^ Good point. I think if you like maintaining them, they may be worth it. But to me the price point has its limits also. Everyones wallet is different. Motors may be one advantage. Full rig basher sets maybe not. Maybe for high speed runs yes.
I wouldn't do a full set unless I get serious about speed runs and even then the cost is not worth it for a full set. I like my fast eddy's. For the motor though, heck whats another 40 bucks to have top quality bearings and less chance of bearing blowout. My 4985 ain't cheap so anything I can do to make it last and protect it I will.

I wouldn't do a full set unless I get serious about speed runs and even then the cost is not worth it for a full set. I like my fast eddy's. For the motor though, heck whats another 40 bucks to have top quality bearings and less chance of bearing blowout. My 4985 ain't cheap so anything I can do to make it last and protect it I will.
I would never bother with full ceramic bearings in a basher, it is a waste of money and it does not offer any benefits.

Yes, its all relative to the price of the motor. That investment protection. overall. Bricked bearings =Bricked armature= Bricked motor. (y)

I have been running the same boca set @Mr.Duke is speaking of for over a year now and not 1 issue. I will even say it wakes the motor up a bit more as well. It is worth the money. Every time I take them out to clean them I never have to rolls smooth and grease still looks like new.

I have been running the same boca set @Mr.Duke is speaking of for over a year now and not 1 issue. I will even say it wakes the motor up a bit more as well. It is worth the money. Every time I take them out to clean them I never have to rolls smooth and grease still looks like new.
Yeah, if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure you’re the one that pointed me to these specific bearings in a PM earlier in the year. ?

When I pulled the stock bearings they were still in perfect condition, but since I was running 8s with this combo I felt like $42 was worth the investment spinning the motor that high pack after pack.

Yeah, if I’m not mistaken, I’m pretty sure you’re the one that pointed me to these specific bearings in a PM earlier in the year. ?

When I pulled the stock bearings they were still in perfect condition, but since I was running 8s with this combo I felt like $42 was worth the investment spinning the motor that high pack after pack.
You are correct lol.. Those would be the only bearings for that motor rated for 8s lol

I just know in the new year I won't be able to replace a bricked motor so I'm doing what I can to prevent it now.

Boca also has a live chat, I cannot remember who I talked to over there but they were extremely helpful.

In the motor in theory yes, less drag = less heat.
Most if not all motor heat is generated from the bearings. Ceramic balls don't conduct or retain heat. They are not a metal. Thats why the motors endbells are the hottest part of the motor, where the bearings are. The heat transfers to the motor cans center. The cans stator generates an EMF that causes heat also.

Last edited:

Bashing, and speedrunning is many times alot more about full throttle most time, and alot harder driving style , Crazy sendings.

RC Cars got alot more stress from HardBashing than Track driving.
You need strongest parts if you are one Hard Basher .

I have seen very crazy Hard Bashers on Youtube .
Competition driving is less speed , also smal jumps only,
Many Bashers do Sick Sendings and other crazy stuff :)

Most if not all motor heat is generated from the bearings. Ceramic balls don't conduct or retain heat. They are not a metal. Thats why the motors endbells are the hottest part of the motor, where the bearings are. The heat tranfers to the motor cans center. The cans stator generates an EMF that causes heat also

Completely disagree with you on nearly everything in this post.

The primary source of heat in an AC brushless motor is from the current going through the windings. If you increase your pinion size, your motor temps increase (more load = more current) but the motor rpms don't. These motors pump out some serious wattage - power numbers that humans can't even come close to generating. Try pumping out 500w on a bike for 5 minutes (guarantee you most likely can't in the first place) and look at how hot you get. Now multiply this power by several factors and then focus it all down to something the size of your fist to radiate all of that heat.

Yes, ceramics are much better at handling high heat but their main benefit in bearings is their hardness and their ability to stay round longer. Dirt and crap in the races will wear down the bearings much slower and also not corrode everything.

Regarding the endbell being the hottest part of the motor, I would suspect this is because that's where all of the current ends up being focused for all three phases of the leads coming in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back