Does anyone run the castle Mamba X with a 4092

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevBar40

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all,
Kraton owner here. My Max 6 is crapping out on jumps. If my chassis slaps I lose throttle. I have to turn off then turn on again to get it back. I’m looking to replace but for the same amount of money. I’ve got loads of M2C upgrades weighing it down and am wondering if a Mamba X would be enough. I’m running a 1730kv 4092 motor in it. Or am I just better off getting another Max6?

Hey all,
Kraton owner here. My Max 6 is crapping out on jumps. If my chassis slaps I lose throttle. I have to turn off then turn on again to get it back. I’m looking to replace but for the same amount of money. I’ve got loads of M2C upgrades weighing it down and am wondering if a Mamba X would be enough. I’m running a 1730kv 4092 motor in it. Or am I just better off getting another Max6?
What he said ^

The MM6S is the same price as a MX, but actually built for 1/8 scale rigs. I have a couple of MMX, and just got my first MX. It is a MUCH smaller ESC. The MMX has 6.5mm bullets for motor leads, the MX has 4.0mm bullets(maybe they are 4.5, not sure, have not measured). Would you really want to run a 4092 on 4mm motor bullets?

The MM6S is the same price as a MX, but actually built for 1/8 scale rigs. I have a couple of MMX, and just got my first MX. It is a MUCH smaller ESC. The MMX has 6.5mm bullets for motor leads, the MX has 4.0mm bullets(maybe they are 4.5, not sure, have not measured). Would you really want to run a 4092 on 4mm motor bullets?
Thanks for the response Jerry. I don’t know a whole lot about the differences between their esc’s so this was my point in asking. I definitely don’t want to run that motor with too small of connectors. I may go back to stock for a bit til work starts back up. I just loved my current set up though.

I run the 4985 1650kv Hobbywing motor with a Momba Monster 2, so I'm sure the Mamba Monster X should handle the 4092. The Mamba X is for 1/8 buggies and short course trucks or other vehicles weighing less than 9lbs. The Kraton is too heavy for it.

I run the 4985 1650kv Hobbywing motor with a Momba Monster 2, so I'm sure the Mamba Monster X should handle the 4092. The Mamba X is for 1/8 buggies and short course trucks or other vehicles weighing less than 9lbs. The Kraton is too heavy for it.
Got it! Yeah, the castle naming confuses me a little at times and I don’t know which ones are good for which vehicle. Do you recommend the MM2? I kinda want to fit that same motor in the future.

Got it! Yeah, the castle naming confuses me a little at times and I don’t know which ones are good for which vehicle. Do you recommend the MM2? I kinda want to fit that same motor in the future.
My only complaint is their switches I'm yet to have one last me more than a few bash sessions, then the truck starts shutting itself off whenever it hits a bump. It's a simple fix that soldering iron and some heat shrink can't solve. I also recommend that you use the free coupon and get the Castle Link, programming them without it is a major pain in the rear.

This might be a bit much information but I'm going to type it all out so people can reference it in other threads.

Two surface product lines; Sidewinder and Mamba. Sidewinder is the value line for low cost of entry. Designed to replace RTR electronics, a huge upgrade from brushed motors, better control and programmability than brushless RTR electronics. Mamba is the high end line. As many features as we can fit in the desired form factor.

Sidewinder line has three ESCs(listed smallest to largest):
Sidewinder Micro 2: 1/18th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, Not Waterproof, no fan, no heat sink. 3.5mm motor bullets.
Sidewinder 4: 1/10th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, waterproof, 30mm fan. 4.0mm motor bullets. Handles 3x the power of the Sidewinder Micro 2.
Sidewinder 8th: 1/8th scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, waterproof, 30mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles 4.5x the power of the Sidewinder Micro 2 and 50% more power than the Sidewinder 4.

Mamba Line has five ESCs(listed smallest to largest):
Mamba Micro X: 1/18th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, no fan. 3.5mm motor bullets. Very similar ESC design to the Sidewinder Micro 2, but handles about 40% more power. Also works in 1/10th scale for racing with 17.5T or 13.5 turn motors on 2s in 2wd buggies and 2wd stadium trucks.
Mamba X: 1/10 scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 30mm fan. 4.0mm motor bullets Handles 2.2x the power of the Mamba Micro X and about 40% more power than the Sidewinder 4. Also works in 1/8th scale buggies for 4s racing.
Mamba Monster X: 1/8th scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 30mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles about 33% more power than the Sidewinder 8th or Mamba X.
Mamba Monster X 8S: 1/6-1/8th scale, 2-8s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 40mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles about 55% more power than the Mamba X and about 20% more power than the Mamba Monster X.
Mamba XLX: 1/5 scale, 3-8s, 20 amp BEC, AUX Wire, NOT Waterproof, NO sensor port, 40mm fan. 8.0mm motor bullets.1 Handles about 33% more power than the Mamba Monster X and about 15% more power than the Mamba Monster X 8s.

This might be a bit much information but I'm going to type it all out so people can reference it in other threads.

Two surface product lines; Sidewinder and Mamba. Sidewinder is the value line for low cost of entry. Designed to replace RTR electronics, a huge upgrade from brushed motors, better control and programmability than brushless RTR electronics. Mamba is the high end line. As many features as we can fit in the desired form factor.

Sidewinder Micro 2: 1/18th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, Not Waterproof, no fan, no heat sink. 3.5mm motor bullets.
Sidewinder 4: 1/10th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, waterproof, 30mm fan. 4.0mm motor bullets. Handles 3x the power of the Sidewinder Micro 2.
Sidewinder 8th: 1/8th scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, waterproof, 30mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles 4.5x the power of the Sidewinder Micro 2 and 50% more power than the Sidewinder 4.

Mamba Micro X: 1/18th scale, 2-3s, 2 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, no fan. 3.5mm motor bullets. Very similar ESC design to the Sidewinder Micro 2, but handles about 40% more power. Also works in 1/10th scale for racing with 17.5T or 13.5 turn motors on 2s in 2wd buggies and 2wd stadium trucks.
Mamba X: 1/10 scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 30mm fan. 4.0mm motor bullets Handles 2.2x the power of the Mamba Micro X and about 40% more power than the Sidewinder 4. Also works in 1/8th scale buggies for 4s racing.
Mamba Monster X: 1/8th scale, 2-6s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 30mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles about 33% more power than the Sidewinder 8th or Mamba X.
Mamba Monster X 8S: 1/6-1/8th scale, 2-8s, 8 amp BEC, AUX wire, waterproof, sensor port, 40mm fan. 6.5mm motor bullets. Handles about 55% more power than the Mamba X and about 20% more power than the Mamba Monster X.
Mamba XLX: 1/5 scale, 3-8s, 20 amp BEC, AUX Wire, NOT Waterproof, NO sensor port, 40mm fan. 8.0mm motor bullets.1 Handles about 33% more power than the Mamba Monster X and about 15% more power than the Mamba Monster X 8s.
Thank you Robert! This explanation cleared everything up for me.

Robert, can you tell me how Castle sizes the motors. I see 1512, 1515, 1717. Do these numbers stand for measurements? I typically see 4274 or 4092 and know what those numbers signify but castle sizing is different.

Robert, can you tell me how Castle sizes the motors. I see 1512, 1515, 1717. Do these numbers stand for measurements? I typically see 4274 or 4092 and know what those numbers signify but castle sizing is different.
https://home.castlecreations.com/motor-tech

From that page:
The first two digits in our motor names refer to the diameter of the stator in inches, while the second two digits refer to the stator length.

They do list the can dimensions on their site as well usually.

Even after reading that... still not 100% what the numbers refer to in "inches". .17 inch? 1.7inch? 17th of an inch? Dunno...

I have one of the 1410's, it's a 3654mm sized can. Also have a 1515 2200kv from my older revo which is 4074 (40mm x 75.4mm on their site).

Last edited:
The number are in inches in the same way that a 4074 is in millimeters. A 1512 has a 1.5" diameter stator and a 1.2" long stator. We don't hold 100% to that with the lengths(All of the 1406 motors are called all 1406, but they don't all have 0.6" long stators), but the diameters are exact. The 08xx series has a 0.8" diameter; the 14xx series has a 1.4" diameter; the 15xx series has a 1.5" diameter; the 17xx series has a 1.7" diameter; and the 20xx series has a 2.0" diameter.

Keep in mind this measurement is the stator size. For anyone that doesn't know the stator is the laminated steel core of a brushless motor that has the wires wrapped around it. The outside dimensions of the motors is obviously longer than the name implies because they is other parts of the motor that extend beyond the ends of the stator. In general then ends don't change in length much between the different lengths of a size. So a 1515 is going to be approximately 0.3" longer than a 1512.
https://home.castlecreations.com/motor-tech

From that page:
The first two digits in our motor names refer to the diameter of the stator in inches, while the second two digits refer to the stator length.

They do list the can dimensions on their site as well usually.

Even after reading that... still not 100% what the numbers refer to in "inches". .17 inch? 1.7inch? 17th of an inch? Dunno...

I have one of the 1410's, it's a 3654mm sized can. Also have a 1515 2200kv from my older revo which is 4074 (40mm x 75.4mm on their site).
It stands for 17 1/10ths of an inch.... but it is easier to just a decimal point in it to say it is 1.7 inches.

The number are in inches in the same way that a 4074 is in millimeters. A 1512 has a 1.5" diameter stator and a 1.2" long stator. We don't hold 100% to that with the lengths(All of the 1406 motors are called all 1406, but they don't all have 0.6" long stators), but the diameters are exact. The 08xx series has a 0.8" diameter; the 14xx series has a 1.4" diameter; the 15xx series has a 1.5" diameter; the 17xx series has a 1.7" diameter; and the 20xx series has a 2.0" diameter.

Keep in mind this measurement is the stator size. For anyone that doesn't know the stator is the laminated steel core of a brushless motor that has the wires wrapped around it. The outside dimensions of the motors is obviously longer than the name implies because they is other parts of the motor that extend beyond the ends of the stator. In general then ends don't change in length much between the different lengths of a size. So a 1515 is going to be approximately 0.3" longer than a 1512.

It stands for 17 1/10ths of an inch.... but it is easier to just a decimal point in it to say it is 1.7 inches.
Does Castle's way of identifying their motors tell us something other companies generic "can size" doesn't? I was never in electric with brushed and I don't understand "turns" at all either. Just asking to understand a bit more.

Does Castle's way of identifying their motors tell us something other companies generic "can size" doesn't? I was never in electric with brushed and I don't understand "turns" at all either. Just asking to understand a bit more.

Not really, it's just a way to measure the product. I do wish there was a bit more consistency it marketing between the R/C companies, but that ship sailed long ago and it is an uphill battle to get any sort of standard. We chose to do it with inches because that's kinda how brushed motors were measured. A common 1/10 scale brushed motor was referred to as a 540 motor and some motors were a 550 motor. 540 is the size of the core of armature in the motor. So a 550 size motor is the same diameter but longer than a 540 motor. Everything got really muddy when the transition to brushless motors happened. A 1406 has the same outside dimensions as a 540 motor and a 1410 has the about same outside dimensions as a 550 size motor, but some manufactures(COUGH COUGH Novak COUGH) marketed motors as 550 size when they were actually about the size of our 1415 motor.

The turns is a simple way of comparing two similar motor designs. Turns refers to the number of times the wire of each phase is wrapped around the stator. If you have a high turn count, you have long wires wrapped many times, but if you have a low turn count, you have a much shorter wire but the wire has a lot more strands to it to lower the resistance. There are a lot of other differences in internal design that affect the speed of a motor. Most of our motors are 1 or 2 turn. If you look at a 2 pole ROAR spec 540 size motor, our slowest 1406 is a 2 turn, but an equivalent KV 2 pole motor would be about 21.5 turns. The KV of a motor will be higher the less turns there is. If you have a 1 turn motor and a 2 turn motor, the KV of the 1 turn will be twice the KV of the 2 turn.

@robert@castle... I see no mention of the MM2 in your list..??

@robert@castle... I see no mention of the MM2 in your list..??

I also didn't include the Sidewinder 3. I always forget we still sell those two and I'm kind of perplexed that we still do. I personally wish we could just sunset old products after we introduce a new version, but we tend to just keep holding on to products for years until there is a part supply issue that prevents us from building them. Sidewinder 3 is 10-15% worse than the sidewinder 4. MM2 is ~10% worse than the MMX. Also both of those(and Sidewinder 8th) are on old code versions that will never receive updates again.

MM2 is ~10% worse than the MMX. Also both of those(and Sidewinder 8th) are on old code versions that will never receive updates again.

Don't know why, but I thought the MM2 was a bit more capable on power delivery than the MMX, but you don't have as good of a BEC, logging and sensored capability.

Don't know why, but I thought the MM2 was a bit more capable on power delivery than the MMX, but you don't have as good of a BEC, logging and sensored capability.
The MMX only has 30 FETS where as the MM2 has 36 FETs, but the MMX has lower resistance FETs and the MMX has significantly lower board resistance thanks to thick copper busbars soldered to the board. Despite having fewer FETs, both do about the same power at 100% throttle, but the MMX is ~20% better at partial throttle where most people actually drive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back