Does anyone use the SMC Hard Case 3s 7200mah in the Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurious40k

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
  2. Senton 6s
Yes i do... i had lhs swap connectors for me... i love them they are waaaaay better than the 5400mah onyx packs i bought with the nero. They fit nicely with the supplied foam blocks... woops i mis read that my bad... i have spc racing sorry...

Attachments

• 20160814_204740.jpg
    20160814_204740.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160814_204747.jpg
    20160814_204747.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Thanks Josh. The SMC are 1mm thicker. Do you have any side to side play with those packs or are they super tight sliding in there? If you think you have a mm to spare I can probably get away with the SMC.

Last edited:
Yes i just checked dimensions, 1 mm should not matter the door locks are adjustable a bit with the screws that hold them in so if your having issues maybe that will help... i don't think you will have any issues... and nice thing about smc is they will put xt90 connectors.

Yes i just checked dimensions, 1 mm should not matter the door locks are adjustable a bit with the screws that hold them in so if your having issues maybe that will help... i don't think you will have any issues... and nice thing about smc is they will put xt90 connectors.

Cool man! Thank you!

Cool man! Thank you!

Let us know when you do get it.
Ive been contemplating spc 7200 or smc 7200 as well.
SMC are bit cheaper at $60 vs $67 and ive got spc 6500 so looking to see if smcs are better than SPC.

Andynero

As long as they are not wider you should be fine...
Let us know when you do get it.
Ive been contemplating spc 7200 or smc 7200 as well.
SMC are bit cheaper at $60 vs $67 and ive got spc 6500 so looking to see if smcs are better than SPC.

Andynero
I went spc beacuse of the 70c rating. Im sure thereis notmuch diffrence. I ran my friends 6000mah 100c maxamps and they were a vast improvement over my traxxas in performance but at 300 or a tad more per set i wasnt about to buy them. He runs an erevo geared with badlands and my kraton stock gearing with badlands and 5400mah 50c batteries we were dead even he may have had me on top but it was so close it was hard to say... he has mega bux in that erevo and still chowders a diff every 5 or so good runs. Now with a 16 tooth and onyx i got 61 mph. He is getting 54mph. I just dropped a tooth on mine and it is still fast as hell. With spc batteries it will almost backflip from 1/2 throtle to full throttle if i nail it... my onyx batteries have been trouble had a balance wire the yellow one break at the solder joint and got it fixed, now tonight the other one did same thing. Im gonna knotch out top of battery box on the nero i think one side is getting jammed in and causing problems, i will post this mod and my new lvc alarms over in my thread. I have a smc 6500mah 65c 4s battery for my kraton and am more than happy with it... i think both companies spc and smc make awesome batteries. One thing about spc is they only ship deans or traxxas connectors. Smc has xt90 option and if not you can request it in the comments section when ordering. I have a butt load of connectors ive swapped my xmaxx over to them as well... i would not hesitate to get smc 1mm is not much thicker the spc fit nicely so i don't tbink 1 mm thicker will make any differance...

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably be ordering today. The last variable is availability. Both SPC and SMC are pretty low on stock of everything. Looks like I'm going to get what they've got in Stock or wait. I'll be posting a question in the electronics forum about some gensacearespammers packs I found on Amazon that I can pick up pretty cheap. Big Squid rated gensacearespammers number one in a huge shootout so I may pick them up to try. It's looking like the high capacity packs are all months away on backorder now so I'll probably be getting something in the 5000 to 6000 mah range anyway. These are the gensacearespammers I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JCSOJIY/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35GESQNTB15AT

So here is what I ended up buying:

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=198

My Venom charger has a maximum output of 7 amps so I would spend forever charging the 7200 or higher packs and I would never be able to even attain 1c charging. I didn't feel messing with hard case. I'll pick up some big shrink wrap and rewrap them if I need to. I asked SMC to put the XT90 connectors on the packs for me so we'll see if they do it of if I'll be soldering when they arrive.

Tried out my SMC 3s 60C 5600mah packs in the Nero tonight. Holy Cow! What a difference from the Onyx 5400mah 50c packs. The truck was fast before but not insane fast. Now it is off the chain ridiculous. I'm definitely a true believer in the SMC packs.

Tried out my SMC 3s 60C 5600mah packs in the Nero tonight. Holy Cow! What a difference from the Onyx 5400mah 50c packs. The truck was fast before but not insane fast. Now it is off the chain ridiculous. I'm definitely a true believer in the SMC packs.
I have SPC Racing 7200 Mah 70C 11.1v - spcracingbatteries.com 66$ Best packs I have ever had. Getting 2nd set for the KratonV2.

I have SPC Racing 7200 mAh 70C 11.1v - spcracingbatteries.com 66$ Best packs I have ever had. Getting 2nd set for the KratonV2.

Hey what sort of run time are you getting at what % of full throttle?
Cheers

Andynero

Its my first set where I would stop before the cut off. If Im at Davenport - about two miles of flat grass & rolling hills - 25 minutes. Speed runs at full throttle at Costco Parking lot - 20 min . very happy with the set and am getting another - with shipping its $150 a pair. Huge difference between these and the 5400 50C 11.1v Onyx to be SURE. This truck will do 55mph with stock pinion - Im so impressed - my Kraton arrives Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_2117.JPG
    IMG_2117.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 55
Hey Josh. I went to order a 3rd set of those 70c Lipos and SPC is freaking out of business. Might be worth it to contact them for any stock they are trying to rid themselves of. Very sad as they were my goto lately - thanks to you of course.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 47
Yeah I know I was pissed I just found out. I wish I would have known I would have ordered anot her set or 2 of the 7200mah 70c... smc should be as good, and they will solder on xt90 connectors. I have 2 smc 4s packs I'm very happy with.

Hey Josh. I went to order a 3rd set of those 70c Lipos and SPC is freaking out of business. Might be worth it to contact them for any stock they are trying to rid themselves of. Very sad as they were my goto lately - thanks to you of course.
sorry buddy I didn't know either until recently. sad days. smc will be loving it they better hire some people.

Yeah I know I was pissed I just found out. I wish I would have known I would have ordered anot her set or 2 of the 7200mah 70c... smc should be as good, and they will solder on xt90 connectors. I have 2 smc 4s packs I'm very happy with.
Copy that. Will goto Smc - although when I got on Spc site Sunday to order - I ended up getting a 6S 5000 mah Zippy 60c. They said to request whatever connector and they will solder no charge. As u can see - they came through. &$&)((&&. Have a set of xt90s from the Senton. I did see some smc packs - almost got a graphene 4s pack for 109 on eBay - 50c like 5000mah. So I threw on all my tbone stuff on the Senton. All four tires are blown foam gone after Costco lot speed runs. They popped like popcorn. Crazy on 6s. Got duratrax lockups comin and will stick to 4s. My son drives his Kraton but he loves the sct control a little better. My Kraton V2 was right next to my mans mambaX Losi XXL2 at Costco lot. It was neck in neck across the Lot. Right after the heavy rain so a bit scary with the back spray blocking ur view.

sorry buddy I didn't know either until recently. sad days. smc will be loving it they better hire some people.
Copy that. Will goto Smc - although when I got on Spc site Sunday to order - I ended up getting a 6S 5000 mah Zippy 60c. They said to request whatever connector and they will solder no charge. As u can see - they came through. &$&)((&&. Have a set of xt90s from the Senton. I did see some smc packs - almost got a graphene 4s pack for 109 on eBay - 50c like 5000mah. So I threw on all my tbone stuff on the Senton. All four tires are blown foam gone after Costco lot speed runs. They popped like popcorn. Crazy on 6s. Got duratrax lockups comin and will stick to 4s. My son drives his Kraton but he loves the sct control a little better. My Kraton V2 was right next to my mans mambaX Losi XXL2 at Costco lot. It was neck in neck across the Lot. Right after the heavy rain so a bit scary with the back spray blocking ur view.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Anyone try these yet ? Been running 2s but want to pick up a pair of 3s and these hard case are what I want if the 1mm difference is kosher......

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_99&product_id=413

http://www.rcjuice.com/lipo-batteries/hobbystar-8000mah-11-1v-3s-100c-hardcase-lipo-battery.html

These are my next batteries. According to the dimensions, they will fit perfectly. Hard case, 8000 mah, 100c, free shipping, and reputable shop. Use code Rctech10 for 10% off.

But others have said the SMC 7200 fit but very snugly and cause the battery compartment to bulge a little. Also the wires rub on the compartment pretty good. Could cause issues down the road.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back