Kraton Does diff oil affect turning radius

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Long

Reaction score
I know, I know another damn diff oil question...

So I have recently bought a Kraton - just for a bit of fun blasting around grass sports fields. I am finding that although the turning circle is fine when going slow, when going fast it is as though the wheels are not turning enough for tighter turns. Blipping the throttle during a fast turn appears to even straighten it up, as opposed to losing the back end.

Am I correct in thinking I read somewhere that the grade of diff oil can affect this please?

The Kraton is still running the factory supplied oils - In fact I was going to check the levels and perhaps change them to what appears to be a common set-up of 60k/500k/30k (F/C/R).

I look forward to your thoughts.

While diff oil can have an effect I think this might have more to do with a weak stock steering servo on a high grip surface. Thicker fluids, particularly in the front is going to cause more push (understeer) off power coming into a turn and more bite, on power coming out of a turn.

Yeah, I did the extra stiff servo saver spring, and it made a huge difference, even with the stock servo.

Absolutely rear diff fluid is a huge factor in steering ability. The thicker you go, the more understeer you will have. The thinner the fluid, the more oversteer you will have. It is a fine balance and is a personal preference. If you feel like you are noticing understeer, try thinning it out a little bit and see if you prefer it that way. I personally like mine more open than others. I tend to run 20k tops in an open diff and under 10k in an LSD diff for bashing.

Chart is more aimed at tuning diffs for a track, but still useful info...
Three Diff Tuning.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back