Does duct tape help reinforce the body?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but there are better ways. Plastidip or liquid electrical tape are two good options if you really feel coating it is the solution you need.

Where are you having issues? Mine was starting to fail at the rear body mounts so I made the backing plates bigger and it has been kosher ever since even without any type of coating.

I just wanted to reinforce it because it was chipping the paint/ screen printed paint off, and I ripped the back a bit, so I wanted to reinforce it before it rips more :confused:
thank you :D

Drywall tape and shoo goo treatment seems to be the most popular.

What's up! I have been using 3m spray glue a couple of layers I give it three and then a primer of choice (gray,white,black) so far holding up pretty good! After a year and eight months.
1458348921275-900845782.jpg

I used drywall tape and shoe goo, and then immeditely duct taped over it so that it all solidifies together nicely. I have a white body so I used white duct tape.

Guys you hAve to try this tape that I got. Combined with Shoo-goo and it's bullet proof. I used the thin syrups of this tape and the "goo" to lengthen the life of my bodies out on the track. The tape is not easy to get it found it at office Depot says you can find at Wal-Mart as well. This is the same as battery tape but at a full 2" wide. Apply couple layers of tape and shoo-goo. I have even used several layers of tape w/o the goo and it holds up. The stickiness is very high and will not come off.

shopping.jpg
download.jpg

Guys you hAve to try this tape that I got. Combined with Shoo-goo and it's bullet proof. I used the thin syrups of this tape and the "goo" to lengthen the life of my bodies out on the track. The tape is not easy to get it found it at office Depot says you can find at Wal-Mart as well. This is the same as battery tape but at a full 2" wide. Apply couple layers of tape and shoo-goo. I have even used several layers of tape w/o the goo and it holds up. The stickiness is very high and will not come off.

View attachment 5223
View attachment 5224

How does the shoe goo mix with the fibers in this tape? Does the shoe goo melt through the plastic?

Does not melt with the fibers, at least not that I can tell. It just toughens it all up. Last repair I did on a cracked body mount hole just added a couple of layers of tape re-drilled the hole for the body post and it's held up great!

YEP that is about the most information I have seen in one place, on this topic. Thanks for the link

I don't know if it's okay to link to other forums. But this article on body prepping is absolutely the best that I've seen and read.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/paintin...tection-bashers-long-article-many-photos.html

The best article on body protection yoy will EVER read.

I read it (man and I thought I had too much time on MY hands)!
I did the drywall tape,Shoo Goo and Flex Seal method....APPLY THE FLEX SEAL WITH PLENTY OF VENTILATION!!!
Also the tape sticks best with a new paint job,my Senton had a
CIMG3586.JPG
CIMG3594.JPG
few bashes in the mud and dirt so it didn't clean up that great.

I am new to R/C and I see alot of questions on what is the best way to reinforce a body. I have one question, has anyone ever tried something like Duplicolor or
Rust-Oleum spray on truck bed lining? Is it too heavy? Just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Ah, well I just seen in another thread that some folks have used the spray on bed liner stuff. Question answered.

Bed liner works, but I think the consensus is that the drywall mesh tape and shoe goo is the toughest. Some guy did a comparison of all the different methods used and this was the best.

Bed liner works, but I think the consensus is that the drywall mesh tape and shoe goo is the toughest. Some guy did a comparison of all the different methods used and this was the best.
OK, cool. Thanks for the info. dpricenator

We used to fly some pretty big rockets and we reinforced them all with fiberglass mesh coated with 30 minute epoxy with or without a filler. Never broke one of those rockets
My concern would be the heat it generates as it cures. My Kraton body is so thin I worry a little about it deforming as it cures. The rocket bodies were cardboard tubes of varying lengths and thickness so really couldn't deform

We used to fly some pretty big rockets and we reinforced them all with fiberglass mesh coated with 30 minute epoxy with or without a filler. Never broke one of those rockets
My concern would be the heat it generates as it cures. My Kraton body is so thin I worry a little about it deforming as it cures. The rocket bodies were cardboard tubes of varying lengths and thickness so really couldn't deform

I would be concerned that the epoxy would be brittle under the type of crashes our cars take. A rocket is really only under extreme force for a maybe 2-6 seconds and only in on direction, upon launch. Then when the chute pops, there is another type of force put on the rocket. Some crash landings happen, but not like the 100 foot cart wheel sessions my kraton went through this weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back