Infraction Does gear size impact performance?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep come on you should know I've got gp5's 🤣 Also running BSR 103mm foams. I would almost think they would even out in the drag aspect as I'm also open wheel where your not so we both have some degree of higher drag. I'm at about 4200ft elevation and been running in low 60's for temp. Just seems for some reason your system is being stressed a lot more than mine. Not sure if Perfect Pass is that much different than your throttle speed feature and that's possibly it 🤔 just really don't understand why the two setups are not running a lot closer numbers in the logs?
Well I’m about 600ft elevation vs your 4200ft. Pretty sure that has an effect right there.

Yep come on you should know I've got gp5's 🤣 Also running BSR 103mm foams. I would almost think they would even out in the drag aspect as I'm also open wheel where your not so we both have some degree of higher drag. I'm at about 4200ft elevation and been running in low 60's for temp. Just seems for some reason your system is being stressed a lot more than mine. Not sure if Perfect Pass is that much different than your throttle speed feature and that's possibly it 🤔 just really don't understand why the two setups are not running a lot closer numbers in the logs?
I know also we both have the G+ 6000 packs do you have a log with these packs as last pass I made at 142 was with the G+ same gearing and dropped to only 338A with EC5 harness to a QS8 adapter from the packs also.

I know also we both have the G+ 6000 packs do you have a log with thise packs as last pass I made at 142 was with the G+ same gearing and dropped to only 338A with EC5 harness to a QS8 adapter from the packs also.
Not recently enough to be relevant. I have four sets of the G+ 6000 and do plan on running them again soon.

Are you running GP5 diffs? The truck body and my big rear wing are surely a lot more drag too. Not sure if that is 100A worth of drag but it could be. Also, what elevation are you at? Your air could be a lot thinner.
Yeah.....
GP5's are 42/15's. (2.8:1)
V1 Infr/Lim is 43/13's (3.31:1)
That would change everything.

Yeah.....
GP5's are 42/15's. (2.8:1)
V1 Infr/Lim is 43/13's (3.31:1)
That would change everything.
He's also running the gp5 diffs so again same there👍🏼
Well I’m about 600ft elevation vs your 4200ft. Pretty sure that has an effect right there.
Yes that is another possibility but again that much difference? Also ran a lot with the bad smoke from the fires which has to make the air a bit denser with the partials from the smoke. Sure we will never know but just something that's been bugging me a while when comparing our logs with damn near identical setups in most aspects.

Last edited:
I agree that the weight of the gear itself likely would only impact acceleration and not the final top speed.
Any differences wouldn't be measurable from run to run as the difference is so small.
I tend to agree. The more you reduce the weight of the rotational speed (in 1/10 cars, I have even used carbon fiber axles), and although I did notice only a slight difference in speed and run time. And that may have been my imagination. But when we ran carpet, we used to even swap out the stock screws for titanium for the weight. Now with these cars that would be useless.

Great thinking though as I never thought of these heavy pinions we use. And, unlike 1/10 cars, using plastic gears would be asking for too much trouble. Imagine Mod 1, 64 pitch plastic spur gears? They would be nothing but molten mush by the time you reached half speed.

Are you running GP5 diffs? The truck body and my big rear wing are surely a lot more drag too. Not sure if that is 100A worth of drag but it could be. Also, what elevation are you at? Your air could be a lot thinner.

Please explain. I assumed most speedrunners used locked diffs so why would GP5 diffs make a difference? Please advise as I am ready for my first speed run but I have locked the diffs with putty.

30 years of running R/C cars and I realize that the technology has changed so much that having that experience did help but I have never ran 3 digit speeds yet. I have gotten close with my T3 but my highest was 95 and that was scary enough.

Last edited:
I tend to agree. The more you reduce the weight of the rotational speed (in 1/10 cars, I have even used carbon fiber axles), and although I did notice only a slight difference in speed and run time. And that may have been my imagination. But when we ran carpet, we used to even swap out the stock screws for titanium for the weight. Now with these cars that would be useless.

Great thinking though as I never thought of these heavy pinions we use. And, unlike 1/10 cars, using plastic gears would be asking for too much trouble. Imagine Mod 1, 64 pitch plastic spur gears? They would be nothing but molten mush by the time you reached half speed.

Please explain. I assumed most speedrunners used locked diffs so why would GP5 diffs make a difference? Please advise as I am ready for my first speed run but I have locked the diffs with putty.

30 years of running R/C cars and I realize that the technology has changed so much that having that experience did help but I have never ran 3 digit speeds yet. I have gotten close with my T3 but my highest was 95 and that was scary enough.
GP5 diffs add gear ratio over the other options. They are 15/42 ratio vs 13/43 of the Limitless, Typhon, or V1 Infraction. So by adding gear ratio at the diffs, you will be able to have more gear options on the motor side.

GP5 diffs add gear ratio over the other options. They are 15/42 ratio vs 13/43 of the Limitless, Typhon, or V1 Infraction. So by adding gear ratio at the diffs, you will be able to have more gear options on the motor side.
Thanks but I am still a bit confused. If you lock the diffs, how is there any ratio?
Thanks again, for your input. -Daver

Thanks but I am still a bit confused. If you lock the diffs, how is there any ratio?
It's the teeth count of the input pinion and ring gear nothing to do with being locked or not. The 13/43 is a 3.3 ratio and the 15/42 is 2.8 ratio

Open or locked doesn’t affect the drive ratio.

Ambient temps and Lipo's are the difference. Perhaps.:unsure:
Can't be elevation altitudes ???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back