Kraton Does it get much better than the Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrister

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hi guy's,

Having read through all the replies and advice I'm strongly considering putting an order in for the kraton.

As previously mentioned I'll be using it on short to medium length grass.

I was just looking to ask owners of the kraton for any positives or negatives of ownership?

Finally if I do decide to go for the kraton, could you please advise on the best package to buy? For example battery size, charger etc??

P.S

I'm based in the UK and would also consider buying a used kraton off this site.

Thanks

Tony

Do it. You won't regret it. It's a beast and tons of fun. I don't have anything negative to report. It gets used the most out of my collection.

Like I said in your other thread, the only caution I would give is that the Kraton is large. If you have the space for it, that’s not a negative. If you don’t, it will be. You have to be the judge of that.

For me, the two options were...watch others have a blast with the Kraton or get one and have my own fun.

Everything in life has a downside but would you really sit there and dwell on it or get it fixed and let the good times roll!

Get it, you've missed out on too much already.

No, it does not get much better... lol

If you are mobility -impaired, self righting may be a feature you could want. Hard on diffs, but ... with the Kraton, if you remove the wing and put a higher profile body on it (like a VW bug, maybe, or a more scale truck) it should self right pretty good.

Brilliant stuff guys. I was going to order from either modelsport or wheelspin models. Has anyone dealt with either and give me some feedback please. Both companies give you the option to purchase a pack including batteries etc, is they the way to go? Or should I buy each separately?

Cheers Tony

Package deals can be a money saver, but often come with a charger or batteries that are not really ideal. Just make sure you don't get a 50w per channel charger...
Post up the package here before you pull the trigger, we can give you the scoop.

The batteries are probably overpriced. Check out Hobbyking, they have UK and EU (Netherlands or somewhere around there) warehouses and really good lipos in a few price brackets.

Brilliant stuff guys. I was going to order from either modelsport or wheelspin models. Has anyone dealt with either and give me some feedback please. Both companies give you the option to purchase a pack including batteries etc, is they the way to go? Or should I buy each separately?

Cheers Tony

Cheers Tony
I can highly recommend Modelsport UK. They are my local hobby shop (<5 miles away) and I have ordered from their website on occasion. They have a great reputation for fast delivery and they have a huge range of products and stock.

I would advise against buying the Kraton with a power package deal as they tend to be poor value for money and are designed for people who don't know anything about RC and don't have access to knowledgable people such as ourselves.

I would say go to Hobbyking for batteries and probably buy a charger from Modelsport as they have some good quality chargers suh as the Overlander ones that aren't overpriced, unlike the batteries...

You will need a charger that is at least 100w charge capability as you will neeed it to be powerful enough to charge 6S lipos at a reasonable speed. Such as this one https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overla...ischarger-power-supply/rc-car-products/433878

As for batteries, go to hobbyking's website and look for a couple of 4S batteries to start with so you can get used to the car and it's power and speed capabilities, then in a couple of weeks you can buy a 6S.

Use the filter to find a 4S lipo, capacity of around 4000-5000mah and at least 40c discharge rating.

Any questions, just ask us!

Thanks guy's,

Please find below the package they have recommended going for ;

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

1x #WM-032 - Premium AA Batteries - 4 Pack £2.00
1 x #WM-LSACK - Super Duty LiPo Safe Charge Bag - Large - 19 X 22cm £6.00
2 x #OL-2644 - Overlander EC5 to 4mm Charge Lead £5.98
2 x #OL-2577EC5 - Overlander 5000mAh 3S 11.1v 35C LiPo Battery - Overlander Supersport - EC5 Connector £103.90
1 x #OL-3317 - SKYRC D100 V2 AC/DC Dual Balance Charger / Discharger / Power Supply £84.99
1 x #ARA106040T2 - Arrma Kraton 6S V4 - Blue £459.00
I can highly recommend Modelsport UK. They are my local hobby shop (<5 miles away) and I have ordered from their website on occasion. They have a great reputation for fast delivery and they have a huge range of products and stock.

I would advise against buying the Kraton with a power package deal as they tend to be poor value for money and are designed for people who don't know anything about RC and don't have access to knowledgable people such as ourselves.

I would say go to Hobbyking for batteries and probably buy a charger from Modelsport as they have some good quality chargers suh as the Overlander ones that aren't overpriced, unlike the batteries...

You will need a charger that is at least 100w charge capability as you will neeed it to be powerful enough to charge 6S lipos at a reasonable speed. Such as this one https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overla...ischarger-power-supply/rc-car-products/433878

As for batteries, go to hobbyking's website and look for a couple of 4S batteries to start with so you can get used to the car and it's power and speed capabilities, then in a couple of weeks you can buy a 6S.

Use the filter to find a 4S lipo, capacity of around 4000-5000mah and at least 40c discharge rating.

Any questions, just ask us!

Turnigy Heavy Duty 5000mAh 4S 60C Lipo Pack w/XT-90

Would these batteries be OK to order Leo? Thank you

Last edited:
The package looks fine other than the batteries.
Turnigy HD series batteries are one of the best batteries for the money in my opinion.

It sounds like you want to try 4s first and then 6s later?

I didn't dig through this thread but you may want to read up on the radios that come with the v4 Kraton. (it is wise to upgrade the radio system) Otherwise the V4 is great.

Thanks guy's,

2 x #OL-2577EC5 - Overlander 5000mAh 3S 11.1v 35C LiPo Battery - Overlander Supersport - EC5 Connector £103.90
1 x #OL-3317 - SKYRC D100 V2 AC/DC Dual Balance Charger / Discharger / Power Supply £84.99

Other than the Overlander batteries, that kit looks pretty good. I would get the Turnigy lipos with the EC5 connectors. If you get XT90s on your lipos, you will need to change them or the ones on the ESC.

In a nutshell.....NO!!

Thanks guy's,

The Turnigy batteries are fine for 4S use. And the Overlander 3S batteries are decent too if not a bit expensive. You can connect the 3S batteries in series by plugging them both in to the car to make 6S. Bear in mind the new V4 Arrma cars now use an IC5 connector on the ESC and this enatteries you are looking at all have XT-90 connectors fitted. You will need an adapter that goes from XT-90 to EC5/IC5. An EC5 one will work.

I have just got a Kraton from WheelSpin models, they were super helpful and efficient.
I also got some batteries from HobbyKing. 2s Turnigy Lipos intended for my boys Granites and Zippy Compact 3s for my Kraton. This gave me more flexibility to run 2/3s In tote Granites and 4/6s in my Kraton.
Be careful with the battery dimensions, the Turnigys are too wide for the tray so if if want to run 2 x 2s I need to stand them upright which makes them hard to strap in without some sort of brace.
I got two of the ISDT Q6 Pro 300W chargers from HK and a cheap 24V 15A meanwell clone from Amazon. Couldn’t find anything close to this combo for the price and I have redundancy. So far so good but I am just starting out.

Just to confirm as I'm a little confused! So the over lander batteries on that offer will only connect to the car with an adapter?

Secondly as I would like to find my feet first I was going to buy two 2s batteries. Would you guy's mind sending me a link to the best batteries to purchase? ( Will these batteries fit the car without the need for an adaptor?

Ps.. I have to be honest and say this is by far the best forum of any that I have ever used.!!

Those batteries have the correct connector. The problem is the C rating. The C rating tells you how many amps those batteries can safely deliver. Arrma needs 45C minimum at 5000 milliamp hour.

Using under-sized batteries can damage the batteries, and give issues with the electrical system. This is why you don't want those batteries.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back