does "perect" gear mesh have a "sound"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t say cheap vacuum cleaner I said hobby grade RC. Some people!🕺only traxxas could make “perfect mesh sound bad!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😎😎😎😎
Sheshhhhh I haven’t seen a URC in ages. 2006ish I remember him being banned from Traxxas forum, along with many others including me. 😂

tbh setting mesh on my traxxas XRT is a pain in the ass but I finally have it perfect and it sounds AMAZING. Previously I had the mesh horribly wrong and it sounded like a dying cat and was damaging my gears and they weren't even stock crappy traxxas gears.

Literally sounds like something is being murdered:eek: Thankfully it sounds 100x better now. Much Much easier for me on arrmas.

Just push the Pinion against the spur tight, then back off slightly. Just need the slightest amount of a "Tick Heard" when you rock the Spur gear at 4 places on the Spur's rotation. I like my Pinions on the tighter side. Mesh wears better.
I can hear the whine/pitch when I run the rig. If it is correct. It is a feel/sound you develope over time.

Just push the Pinion against the spur tight, then back off slightly. Just need the slightest amount of a "Tick Heard" when you rock the Spur gear at 4 places on the Spur's rotation. I like my Pinions on the tighter side. Mesh wears better.
I can hear the whine/pitch when I run the rig. If it is correct. It is a feel/sound you develope over time.
This is so much easier to do on an arrma! stupid mounts for traxxas go up and down so "backing off" slightly is the impossible part. I literally had to use the paper trick just to force a space in between :eek:

I set mine pretty much the same way you do.never had a issue .set my mesh on my big rock 4 months ago and still sounds great.its easier for someone that's experienced with this than a new person to the hobby because like you mentioned it's the sound of the right pitch of clicks it makes that you know when it's right.when you learn that perfect click sound then you'll know when it's right or when it's wrong .for the inexperienced hobbiest you can allways try running your rig and periodically check and see if your gears are wearing down un even or just to fast.i think that setting the mesh on arrma is a lot easier due to simple motor mount settings.

Any of you guys use lock tight on your grub screws or motor mount screws? I'm sure if your a basher it's probably a good thing to use but as a speed runner is it necessary? I don't use it because I never know the right amount to use and don't want to deal with stripped grub.so far I don't have any problems with any grub screw or any screw getting loose.before I go out and do my speed runs I always hand tight everything down as a precaution.might seem like a pain to allways check but I don't mind doing it.

Any of you guys use lock tight on your grub screws or motor mount screws? I'm sure if your a basher it's probably a good thing to use but as a speed runner is it necessary? I don't use it because I never know the right amount to use and don't want to deal with stripped grub.so far I don't have any problems with any grub screw or any screw getting loose.before I go out and do my speed runs I always hand tight everything down as a precaution.might seem like a pain to allways check but I don't mind doing it.
I always loctite my pinion grub, only thing that works for me is red.
I hear a lot of people say blue is fine, but I can only speak from experience and say it simply isn't good enough for my cars.

Never had to loctite the motor mount screws though, I just go nuts on them till I feel the allen key giving.

I like the mesh a little bit tight, with just a small clickety-clack when I move them together. I go strictly by sound and feel which works best for me. I use as long a grub screw as will fit the application, usually 5mm, 12.9 steel. I like flat head grubs, and being longer helps the hex not strip as easily.

I use blue 243 Loctite and make sure to clean the pinion hole as well as the grub screw with alcohol first. I only use the grub screw one time then I toss it. I crank them down hard with a Neweer driver and only use my MIP driver for loosening. I always use a little heat first. I have not stripped one or had one loosen since I started doing these steps early this year.

I didn’t say cheap vacuum cleaner I said hobby grade RC. Some people!🕺only traxxas could make “perfect mesh sound bad!! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😎😎😎😎
Still better than the Arrma 3s line. I'd take a Slash 4x4 10x over before ever touching one of those giant piles of poop.

Sheshhhhh I haven’t seen a URC in ages. 2006ish I remember him being banned from Traxxas forum, along with many others including me. 😂
Still better than the Arrma 3s line. I'd take a Slash 4x4 10x over before ever touching one of those giant piles of poop.
I gave my son a typhoon 3S for this 7th birthday lasted 2 months I gave it to the neighbor kid for FREE! Gave my son my first EXB 6S. That’s the only 3S I’ve ever owned (Arrma brand) that was 2 years ago almost. It’s 6S or nothing when it comes to Arrma!! I’ve had traxxas in the past 2005-2009 nitro Revo and 1/16 E-Revo.
2A8150C5-97C7-4D99-81CB-07EE38C74D8F.jpeg
E816BED1-86DA-4F6A-98E8-144F4A89FF3D.jpeg

I gave my son a typhoon 3S for this 7th birthday lasted 2 months I gave it to the neighbor kid for FREE! Gave my son my first EXB 6S. That’s the only 3S I’ve ever owned (Arrma brand) that was 2 years ago almost. It’s 6S or nothing when it comes to Arrma!! I’ve had traxxas in the past 2005-2009 nitro Revo and 1/16 E-Revo. View attachment 257429View attachment 257430
Oh you had the Turd Revo VXL that explains why you hate Traxxas.
I really miss his videos and the URC forums. So much information there just gone forever. Some of it was saved by the wayback machine though I can't seem to get The wayback machine page to even load at the moment.

Last edited:
I know for a certain it does. My new outcast made a horrible sound when decelerating when the mesh was very slightly off. Have it a little bit tighter like others have suggested and it totally went away.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back