Typhon Does your center diff sling some fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HZRDOS

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Outcast EXB
  4. Talion EXB
Notice in the area under the diff and spur there is an area with what seems to be a little diff fluid buildup after each run. Not a lot, but I assume after many runs this would lead to low diff fluid. Is this typical? I just ordered 6 diff seals to keep on hand and replace each time I break the diff down.

Over time, yes. It's not too much of a big deal. It's why they need servicing after a while. The oil usually seeps through the outdrive bores and sometimes the gasket. It'll be best to check all the tolerances and replace the gaskets and o-rings on every other service

Another thing that happens is the plastic diff cups tapped holes get pulled up above the plastic so when you make them tighter the space between it and the spur gets wider making the gasket no longer as effective. To remedy it take a razor blade and cut any material above the mating surface before putting them back together. Hope this makes sense, I'm at work so I don't have a diff cup to show what I miean...

Another thing that happens is the plastic diff cups tapped holes get pulled up above the plastic so when you make them tighter the space between it and the spur gets wider making the gasket no longer as effective. To remedy it take a razor blade and cut any material above the mating surface before putting them back together. Hope this makes sense, I'm at work so I don't have a diff cup to show what I miean...
Makes sense. Basically mill the top surface of the diff housing to make it true and remove minor burrs around the holes.

Ok l..so I ordered this. Should fix the issue...if there is an issue...lol. Kind of like it either way.

Screenshot_20210420-213243_Chrome.jpg

Ok l..so I ordered this. Should fix the issue...if there is an issue...lol. Kind of like it either way.

View attachment 140873
I suggest dry fitting them before adding diff fluid. I added shims that I had in the stock diffs no dry run and first maintenance the gears was rubbing inside the diff. Imo shims not needed if using these. Just use the bigger shim under the bigger gear

Have had zero issue since I started useing these.this is the 5th 1 I've purchased.id make sure an use good outdrives.if you need new ones you might as well buy a whole new diff from jennyrc 40ish $..last I checked the outdrives where 20$ each...
Once you put that together with loc-tite you don't want to take it back apart for a while

16189722632457215059740663304602.jpg

Loc-tite good an let dry.one screw backed out on speedcar.started rubbing on diff mount.run these cars up the road an back at 120+ an id be missing 2-5 screws an 3-6 about to fall out,all in 1 pass..let's of power an speed must cause some major vibrations.loc-tite a must in speedrunning

Attachments

• 16189731511193058601888267161254.jpg
    16189731511193058601888267161254.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Have had zero issue since I started useing these.this is the 5th 1 I've purchased.id make sure an use good outdrives.if you need new ones you might as well buy a whole new diff from jennyrc 40ish $..last I checked the outdrives where 20$ each...
Once you put that together with loc-tite you don't want to take it back apart for a while

View attachment 140878
Loc-tite good an let dry.one screw backed out on speedcar.started rubbing on diff mount.run these cars up the road an back at 120+ an id be missing 2-5 screws an 3-6 about to fall out,all in 1 pass..let's of power an speed must cause some major vibrations.loc-tite a must in speedrunning
Thanks for the tip!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back