Typhon Donut Man's Typhon GT Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be willing to bet they are using a new generation LiPo cell and this is the new normal.
I think many of us were shocked how small the SMC V2 6400 mAh packs were. Something changed recently in LiPo cell size.
So it turns out the old battery is 48mm thick (which matches the website description) and the new one is 41mm thick. Turnigy's 5000mAh is actually 51mm thick so it can't be a mismarked pack. I'll hopefully start running soon so this thread will become more active!

I cannot believe the capabilities of the XLX2 over the XLX. I crashed on my first run of the season and didn’t get a GPS reading, but I just pulled the log and the data is crazy. With a 5.5-second Perfect Pass ramp-up and almost 2 seconds WOT, I gained 6000 RPM, dropped from 11% ripple to 2.27% ripple, AND dropped about 60 F in ESC temps (max was 96 F). This is on conservative gearing, but I have high hopes for this summer.

1622305235921.png

I’ve planned to go to 8S next summer, and I want a bit more mounting space under the body than typical bolt-on battery trays allow. I knew I also wanted to play with the aerodynamics of the car, and this is one of my ideas. Not super original, but the bottom of my car has been far from smooth and I wanted to improve that. It’s stiffer than I thought (0.090 6061 aluminum sheet, 12 X 24 inches)! I still have to cut the front notches out so the wheels can turn, get the final shape of the splitter and fine-tune everything, but I’m almost there!

EE7E50CA-ED53-4D86-A8B5-6411566368DA.jpeg

67F6C883-419A-4B32-8973-9AC6E7EE30BC.jpeg

That looks pretty sweet! How much weight will you pick up with it over front splitter and other parts that will be replaced?

That looks pretty sweet! How much weight will you pick up with it over front splitter and other parts that will be replaced?
It adds just over 2 pounds. I actually never had a front splitter (or any other replaced parts) so I’m looking forward to having one.
You totally need to name this build the "Ginsu" because that's going to be able to cut through anything at speed!
Or “Mosquito” because it’s a true ankle-biter now!

I am really curious how it will work out and behave at high speed. I've also been thinking about an underbody mod, but with different design aspects in mind. Imho there needs to be some vacuumpocket to enhance stability.
A 1-2mm thick strip from wheel to wheel on each side would do wonders

I am really curious how it will work out and behave at high speed. I've also been thinking about an underbody mod, but with different design aspects in mind. Imho there needs to be some vacuumpocket to enhance stability.
A 1-2mm thick strip from wheel to wheel on each side would do wonders
I am too. I’m hoping the chassis’s closeness to the ground (regardless of car size) with the rake angle will be enough. But your suggestion is a good one; I might take some short lengths of thin angle bracket and fill in the gap along the sides of the chassis. At the end of the day, even if there’s no aero effect, these are my battery trays plus the body has something rigid to push down on under downforce. It should also keep more dirt out 😎

All buttoned up before running tomorrow! Since running last time, the undertray and the Infraction bumper/body mounts have been added. I also stuck on some “caution” themed stickers to make it a bit more interesting to look at. The GPS will be on for tomorrow, but my goal is to dial the car in straight and get used to Perfect Pass. Took some pictures because it won’t be this clean for a while 😂

6C719A97-C398-4862-8874-4801FFC8B89A.jpeg

347EB222-D4C2-4E3E-9049-17095110F40F.jpeg

76DD6446-52D9-4183-96E2-CA41535FFD88.jpeg

5386D1D6-8C8D-4CF7-8E68-C9F9438F964F.jpeg

It’s bad folks…

2nd test pass was straight as an arrow until the car passed me and I turned my head. It was heading right and I didn’t correct it in time, resulting in a tumble that ripped the body off and spewed the internals all over. Of course I found everything but the ESC :( I don’t have the funds to rebuild/replace right now, so I’ll have to take a break until July or August. Over $300 in damages sucks!

R.I.P. my XLX2; I’m sorry I couldn’t find you. You left us long before your time…

CFEA02E2-93E6-4448-8944-9EF9AB695EB1.jpeg

14E34686-4F8D-4CB4-ACC7-2D7624660E61.jpeg

C642A735-F0C8-4F1F-998E-9C2DD93F2FD4.jpeg

970939E9-7258-418E-905F-C2314F130242.jpeg

It’s bad folks…

2nd test pass was straight as an arrow until the car passed me and I turned my head. It was heading right and I didn’t correct it in time, resulting in a tumble that ripped the body off and spewed the internals all over. Of course I found everything but the ESC :( I don’t have the funds to rebuild/replace right now, so I’ll have to take a break until July or August. Over $300 in damages sucks!

R.I.P. my XLX2; I’m sorry I couldn’t find you. You left us long before your time…

View attachment 151746

View attachment 151744

View attachment 151747

View attachment 151745
Oh man that’s terrible. I know the feeling way too well. Sorry brother.

It’s bad folks…

View attachment 151746

View attachment 151744

View attachment 151747

View attachment 151745

That hurts, real sorry mate!

I so often spend hours searching for parts. I really wouldn't walk way before i found the esc.

Damn that's no good at all bro☹️ not sure if you have one or access to a metal detector as that may help you find it. I'd be out there looking for the XLX2 tell I couldn't see in the dark. Man it has been a rough year for all of us that's for sure, hate seeing this bro and hope something works out so you can get running again soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back