Mojave Dramatically Improved The Popular Powerhobby Twin Fan Heat Sink

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFuzz1542

Tweak and Upgrade everything!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Senton 3s
I got the Powerhobby twin fan heat sink for my Mojave and immediately noticed some things about it I didn't like. The fans don't have enough "breathing room" as in the heat sink fins are very shallow and don't allow for much air flow at all, effectively choking the fans. The fans do come with spacers to increase their output but doing this doesn't force much of the air to go through the fins or the opening under the fins where it's supposed to vent along the motor case. Another thing I noticed (this may have just been a manufacturing defect with mine) was that the mounting holes for the fans placed them to tightly with each other. It was almost impossible to get four screws in each fan because the holes weren't lining up. The product did a better job at cooling then the stock heat sink or nothing at all but it was bugging me knowing the fans were getting choked. What I did was make a two piece Powerhobby heat sink manifold, this completely fixed the problems I was having with the heat sink. The first piece (the heat sink adapter) uses fan screws to be attached to the heat sink, this piece directs the air over the fins and down over the edge onto the motor ends, it also has four side ports that blow air over the side heat sinks (one of the four side ports is shorter to fit better beside the center brace for the Mojave body). The adapter plate screw holes are all oval shape so you can adjust the airflow to either be even or adjust it so there is more airflow over the front or rear motor bells. The second piece (the lid) is attached over the first piece and is the mount for the fans and spaces the fans out better so they're not being jammed together, the little extra space also gives enough room to put on fan grills to protect the blades (and fingers). I am currently working on the lid to make it so it just snaps on to the adapter but as of right now I just put a very small dab of super glue on the four corners of the lid to hold it on and so far it's been doing great. After making and using this manifold my temps have fallen a great bit, with the heat sink set with factory specs the motor was still warm to the touch but after the manifold was attached the motor is cooler even with a larger pinion! Check out the pictures below to see how it works and thanks for reading! If any one would like to download the STL files you can get them here ---> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4750717
IMG_1912.jpg
Desktop 2-5-2021 12-15-06 AM-848.png
Desktop 2-5-2021 12-15-51 AM-787.png
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. Thanks for sharing and putting on Thingiverse.👍
I find the spacers are just fine. But absolutely need spacing without question or the fans just become less efficient. depend how hot a setup you have and how much cooling you are looking for. And I agree the PH HS has very poor fan spacing using just 2 screws for each fan.
Plastic framed fans distort the plastic frame a bit. That's not good. I use 30mm alloy framed fans on this HS. I have the YR version of this and I never had fan spacing problems. But otherwise they are the same item just relabled and the YR costs more.

BTW, I find that the tiniest amount of TL is needed in stock config. The screws loosen. But if you slob on the TL, forget about getting those fine thread screws out. The hex heads will strip for sure. Just my thoughts.
:cool:

That looks great👍 Maybe I should have a look at a 3D printer🤔, but when you see one it looks pretty high tech like you need a 3 year 3D printing study😂
Thanks! I built my 3D printer back in the beginning of 2017 and at first they can be a little intimidating with the calibrating and settings but honestly after you do it few times you'll get the hang of it. There are so many people on YouTube who have been doing it daily since 3D printing has hit the home market (3D printing nerd is a really good one) and they have videos to walk you step by step and explain it all. It gets to the point to just by looking at the model you'll just go "okay so the model is this shape with these over hangs with this type of filament so I should set the speed, temp, supports, position, infill, resolution and cooling to this". Sounds like a lot but it becomes 2nd nature.

^^^I have 2 of those alloy 30mm Rocket fans. They are fast. 👍 And the Frames don't crack and flex when you bash. When they mount to anything metal, the Frame acts like an additional HS. FWIW. Just my thoughts. :cool:

Well whatta you know! On the Dutch version of ebay I just came across someone you prints 3D stuff if you deliver the link (Thingiverse etc.). Under 40 hours he doesn’t calculate hour fee or setup costs, only material.
Since I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about 3D printing, what’s a (rough) indication of how many hours would this take and material costs?
Thanks in advance!
If this guys’ 3D printing is not too expensive I can see another money pit coming...😂

I got the Powerhobby twin fan heat sink for my Mojave and immediately noticed some things about it I didn't like. The fans don't have enough "breathing room" as in the heat sink fins are very shallow and don't allow for much air flow at all effectively choking the fans. The fans do come with spacers to increase their output but doing this doesn't force much of the air to go through the fins or the opening under the fins where it's supposed to vent along the motor case. Another thing I noticed (this may have just been a manufacturing defect with mine) was that the mounting holes for the fans placed them to tightly with each other. It was almost impossible to get four screws in each fan because the holes weren't lining up. The product did a better job at cooling then the stock heat sink or nothing at all but my it was bugging me knowing the fans were getting choked. What I did was make a two piece Powerhobby heat sink manifold, this completely fixed the problems I was having with the heat sink. The first piece (the heat sink adapter) uses fan screws to be attached to the heat sink, this piece directs the air over the fins and down over the edge onto the motor ends, it also has four side ports that blow air over the side heat sinks (one of the four side ports is shorter to fit better beside the center brace for the Mojave body). The adapter plate screw holes are all oval shape so you can adjust the airflow to either be even or adjust it so there is more airflow over the front or rear motor bells. The second piece (the lid) is attached over the first piece and is the mount for the fans and spaces the fans out better so they're not being jammed together, the little extra space also gives enough room to put on fan grills to protect the blades (and fingers). I am currently working on the lid to make it so it just snaps on to the adapter but as of right now I just put a very small dab of super glue on the four corners of the lid to hold it on and so far it's been doing great. After making and using this manifold my temps have fallen a great bit, with the heat sink set with factory specs the motor was still warm to the touch but after the manifold was attached the motor is cooler even with a larger pinion! Check out the pictures below to see how it works and thanks for reading! If any one would like to download the STL files you can get them here ---> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4750717 View attachment 124715View attachment 124716View attachment 124717View attachment 124714View attachment 124713View attachment 124712

Well whatta you know! On the Dutch version of ebay I just came across someone you prints 3D stuff if you deliver the link (Thingiverse etc.). Under 40 hours he doesn’t calculate hour fee or setup costs, only material.
Since I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about 3D printing, what’s a (rough) indication of how many hours would this take and material costs?
Thanks in advance!
If this guys’ 3D printing is not too expensive I can see another money pit coming...😂
I know Thingiverse used to have a "get this item printed" button that would list a bunch of printer farms for their services but I cant find it anymore, I think there were complaints from designers about people making money off their designs but personally I don't care as long as people aren't selling my models on eBay or something. According to my Cura program printing the two pieces together takes any where from 2.1 to 2.8 hours depending on print settings and uses about 20g or 6.8 meters of filament. Now that length is if the printer is using 1.75mm diameter filament, it will be less if they are using 2.85mm.

Thanks, just spoke to the guy and he does not sell items, only offers print 3D services. He‘ll let me know the costs soon.
I really like your design especially the side ports👊. Should give my high rpm fans even more air flow!

I got the Powerhobby twin fan heat sink for my Mojave and immediately noticed some things about it I didn't like. The fans don't have enough "breathing room" as in the heat sink fins are very shallow and don't allow for much air flow at all effectively choking the fans. The fans do come with spacers to increase their output but doing this doesn't force much of the air to go through the fins or the opening under the fins where it's supposed to vent along the motor case. Another thing I noticed (this may have just been a manufacturing defect with mine) was that the mounting holes for the fans placed them to tightly with each other. It was almost impossible to get four screws in each fan because the holes weren't lining up. The product did a better job at cooling then the stock heat sink or nothing at all but my it was bugging me knowing the fans were getting choked. What I did was make a two piece Powerhobby heat sink manifold, this completely fixed the problems I was having with the heat sink. The first piece (the heat sink adapter) uses fan screws to be attached to the heat sink, this piece directs the air over the fins and down over the edge onto the motor ends, it also has four side ports that blow air over the side heat sinks (one of the four side ports is shorter to fit better beside the center brace for the Mojave body). The adapter plate screw holes are all oval shape so you can adjust the airflow to either be even or adjust it so there is more airflow over the front or rear motor bells. The second piece (the lid) is attached over the first piece and is the mount for the fans and spaces the fans out better so they're not being jammed together, the little extra space also gives enough room to put on fan grills to protect the blades (and fingers). I am currently working on the lid to make it so it just snaps on to the adapter but as of right now I just put a very small dab of super glue on the four corners of the lid to hold it on and so far it's been doing great. After making and using this manifold my temps have fallen a great bit, with the heat sink set with factory specs the motor was still warm to the touch but after the manifold was attached the motor is cooler even with a larger pinion! Check out the pictures below to see how it works and thanks for reading! If any one would like to download the STL files you can get them here ---> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4750717 View attachment 124715View attachment 124716View attachment 124717View attachment 124714View attachment 124713View attachment 124712
Wow 😍 that looks really good 👌 and great that you share the file.
I'm also starting to see the benefits of 3D printing more and more. only those drawing programs for 3d printing are so difficult.

But what size of fans do you use?
would it also be possible with 2x 40mm fans ??

Thanks, just spoke to the guy and he does not sell items, only offers print 3D services. He‘ll let me know the costs soon.
I really like your design especially the side ports👊. Should give my high rpm fans even more air flow!
thank you! I will say if you get this printed you and you notice the fan screws are loose try just a very light dab of super glue on the tip of the threads. I didn't have to do this but depending on his "Horizontal Expansion" settings you may find it a little loose. probably not but just in case I wanted to let you know.
Wow 😍 that looks really good 👌 and great that you share the file.
I'm also starting to see the benefits of 3D printing more and more. only those drawing programs for 3d printing are so difficult.

But what size of fans do you use?
would it also be possible with 2x 40mm fans ??
Thank you! The fans I used were the 30mm turbo fans that came with the heat sink, unfortunately to make 40mm fans work I would probably have to redesign the lid however I guess it would be easier to make a 30mm to 40mm fan adapter cone. I think there are models on thingiverse to do just this but honestly the twin 30mm turbo fans move so much air I don't think this would be necessary.
Great design! :love: I have got to get my printer set up soon!
Thank you and yes, 3D printers are awesome. I've built a quad copter frame once just using the 3D printer, thing was surprising strong and according to the GPS I hit 88MPH with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-05 Peon230 Side With GPS Mount by TheFuzz1542(1).png
    Screenshot_2021-02-05 Peon230 Side With GPS Mount by TheFuzz1542(1).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2021-02-05 Peon230 Side With GPS Mount by TheFuzz1542.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-05 Peon230 Side With GPS Mount by TheFuzz1542.png
    862.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I know Thingiverse used to have a "get this item printed" button that would list a bunch of printer farms for their services but I cant find it anymore, I think there were complaints from designers about people making money off their designs but personally I don't care as long as people aren't selling my models on eBay or something. According to my Cura program printing the two pieces together takes any where from 2.1 to 2.8 hours depending on print settings and uses about 20g or 6.8 meters of filament. Now that length is if the printer is using 1.75mm diameter filament, it will be less if they are using 2.85mm.
When Putting your models on Thingiverse, you are offering it to Anyone for free to do what they want with it. A nice gesture as many 3D modelers share their stuff.
But Hoping someone else doesn't profit from it is a silly thought. And you should have considered that before you even thought of placing it there. You offered it for "Free" without restrictions by placing it there.
Just how Thingiverse works. Right?
🤷‍♂️

When Putting your models on Thingiverse, you are offering it to Anyone for free to do what they want with it. A nice gesture as many 3D modelers share their stuff.
But Hoping someone else doesn't profit from it is a silly thought. And you should have considered that before you even thought of placing it there. You offered it for "Free" without restrictions by placing it there.
🤷‍♂️
No, we offer the model to be printed for personal use and to be shared for Non-Commercial use. it's in the copyright section for when you upload the model. Several sellers have been banned from selling on eBay and other sites for illegally selling other peoples designs without permissions. Thingiverse then threaten legal action if the person doesn't stop or receive permission. I personally know some who almost entered a legal battle because this very thing happened. But the person was then permanently banned from eBay and any PayPal services. These businesses take copyright very seriously.

Last edited:
🤷‍♂️
Here is the license agreement example to what my models are licensed under.
Desktop 2-5-2021 4-28-54 PM-760.png

Desktop 2-5-2021 4-28-30 PM-564.png

I understand the agreement above. Duly noted for those that comply. It is still up for grabs and this is very hard to control and enforce commercial use unfortunately.🤷‍♂️
But I don't think it's right to steal Intellectual property at all. :cool:

Edit:
"Commercial Use" infringement doesn't always end up on EBay or similar where it can be challenged.. So its hard to control 100%, is what I am saying.
Just look at China and IP theft. And China is big with their high end 3D fast printing. They've been doing it for years. Stealing from the US etc. One example, One country. It is accepted in their culture and not Gov't enforced. There are others.

Last edited:
I understand the agreement above. Duly noted for those that comply. It is still up for grabs and this is very hard to control and enforce commercial use unfortunately.🤷‍♂️
But I don't think it's right to steal Intellectual property at all. :cool:
Agreed it can be hard to control. Once in a while you'll see some one notify a designer that their stuff is up for sell. Ive notified a few and they had no idea it was happening then they would quickly notified thingiverse about it. We try to watch each others back.

I've seen those, but do they stay locked onto the motor?
No, its meant to attached with one fan. Aluminum is soft so I think you press it in. That or you put a bolt in that third hole in middle and the pressure holds it. Im proposing "locking" them that way. Take the fans off and they come off. Of course, this depends on if it lines up good enough to do this.
This is just a theory. Dunno if anyone else tried that setup yet. Its very possible it can't work or depends on can diameter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back