Typhon Dreaded wheel hex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarsK9

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 6s
I had a bad wreck last week and I’m still rebuilding. I slid sideways down the road and completely buggered up the hexes. I have new ones on the way BUT, I can’t get the screws broke lose. I’ve tried using my el cheapie soldering iron and it didn’t work. I started to round 2 of the so I stupidly hammered in one of my Mac torx bits and not only rounded it, I twisted the bit tip. This leaves me to drilling. So, how hard are these screws? I only have a little Milwaukee drill and no drill bits so I need to pick up some bits over the weekend but after that I’m lost. Do I drill far enough down to get the screw off the pin, then said pin will fall out and I’m done or it’s is more complicated that that? Any help would be awesome

Take the hex and put it in a vise, then use a small punch to drive the pin out. Remove the hex and drill the rounded grub screw, stuck inside the hub using a 1/8" drill bit. Chase the threads to remove any leftover metal in the threads

Your problem is using Torx bits on an Allen head.
? I used an Allen bit first. If I couldn’t tell the difference between hex and Allen, then I shouldn’t own any of the tools that I do.
Take the hex and put it in a vise, then use a small punch to drive the pin out. Remove the hex and drill the rounded grub screw, stuck inside the hub using a 1/8" drill bit. Chase the threads to remove any leftover metal in the threads
Thank you. Now I don’t have to try to open 20 sizes of bits to find the right size.

I rounded out one set screw too, and just punched the pin out.

Next time.. Better to use a torch.. Directly into the wheelhub to where the grubscrew is hidden.. Keep it in there for 5sec.. Gently try.. No movement.. Another 5sec.. Try again.. And so on..
Your problem is using Torx bits on an Allen head.

Ive also done that before.. After i had a somewhat rounded allen, wich my hex wouldnt grip enough.. I punched a little bigger size torx bit in there and was able to get the screw out..

I’m definitely going to pick up a little torch when I get some bits and smaller punches. My SO is gonna love hearing that I’m buying more tools for home so I don’t have to lug tools back and forth from work ?. Still can’t believe I twisted an impact torx bit on this sucker.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back