Dread's Fury(Mega)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just put in an order for a Killer bodies shell for the Fury,as the current shell is beginning to show various cracks here and there. The reviews on this type of shell seem to be quite good,so I thought that I'd give them a try. Including p&p only £27.64.

KBODY-KB48165.jpg

Well, I've hit a problem here,as the company is awaiting new stock. It'll be another 2-3 weeks until the stock arrives,so I took the chance and asked if I could change my choice of shell. They agreed to this and this will be the new color scheme.

KBODY-KB48166.jpg

Finally got the chance to take her out for a blast today. After running a full pack through it, I checked the temps of both the ESC & motor.(15/57 gearing). Boy was I in for a surprise,as the ESC only read 83*F and the motor a surprisingly cool 93*F and that's with a 3900kV motor too.

Last edited:
I received a 3s 3300 40C lipo in the post today and the first thing I did was to throw it on the charger. I put it into the Fury and thought, why not take it out for a short test run........good grief, this thing can really shift. Now I don't have any way of measuring it's speed,but I'd estimate that it was now doing in excess of 40mph,even on 15/57 gearing. Blasted the truck up and down the street to my hearts content,then came the odd point,both the motor and esc were cooler than when I was blasting away with the 2s packs. Anyone any ideas as to why this should be?

I received a 3s 3300 40C LiPo in the post today and the first thing I did was to throw it on the charger. I put it into the Fury and thought, why not take it out for a short test run........good grief, this thing can really shift. Now I don't have any way of measuring it's speed,but I'd estimate that it was now doing in excess of 40mph,even on 15/57 gearing. Blasted the truck up and down the street to my hearts content,then came the odd point,both the motor and esc were cooler than when I was blasting away with the 2s packs. Anyone any ideas as to why this should be?

All that extra air cooling from the new high speeds. ;) Have fun!!!

I received a 3s 3300 40C LiPo in the post today and the first thing I did was to throw it on the charger. I put it into the Fury and thought, why not take it out for a short test run........good grief, this thing can really shift. Now I don't have any way of measuring it's speed,but I'd estimate that it was now doing in excess of 40mph,even on 15/57 gearing. Blasted the truck up and down the street to my hearts content,then came the odd point,both the motor and esc were cooler than when I was blasting away with the 2s packs. Anyone any ideas as to why this should be?

According to my speed calculator, you should be pushing 50 mph (+/- 2-3 mph) with that setup.

As for why it runs cooler on 3s, from what I've read, this is common. More voltage means you actually are not working the motor as hard. It can do more with less input. "there is no power difference between a motor pulling 30A @ 7.2V and one pulling 15A @ 14.4V." <--This is over simplified, but a good example.

That quote was on page 2 of this thread: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147281 It's 4+ years old, and doesn't account for some of the newer technology that has come around the last couple of years, but is a good read.

Speed Calculator #1.JPG

Holy Hannah,no wonder it was a bit squirrley and took a lot of space to slow down. Granted I use no drag brake on my esc ,as this truck is closer in size to my 1/8th nitro buggy,I find it easier to drive that way. What I may need to do however,is to increase my brake force up from 50% to 65% when running 3S. The good thing is though,that it didn't try to pop wheelies,which made life a lot easier too.;)

The only difference between the two packs is 18A i.e 5000 30C 2s(150A) and 3300 40C 3s(132A), and given that the motors max draw is 69A,I don't need better battery packs.

I finally managed to source a 54t 32dp spur gear for my Fury from RCBoyz inc p&p for less than I could find one here in the UK. This will at last allow me to put together some better gear ratios than I've been able to manage to date including my favourite 3:1 ratio 18/54. This will certainly allow me to break the 50-60 mph barriers.

I forgot to zoom in with the camera again,so it's not that clear. Running on 3s,but unable to reach full throttle.

After getting sick and tired of the front end constantly lifting on 3s, I've made another mini-upgrade. I've now bolted a 2oz lump of lead to the inside of the front bumper, which seems to be having the desired effect. Although the front end still rises under acceleration,the front wheels no longer lift off.

PA040071_zpshozmu11s.jpg

After getting sick and tired of the front end constantly lifting on 3s, I've made another mini-upgrade. I've now bolted a 2oz lump of lead to the inside of the front bumper, which seems to be having the desired effect. Although the front end still rises under acceleration,the front wheels no longer lift off.

PA040071_zpshozmu11s.jpg

Wheelies are cool...... lack of steering is not!!!! Nice job. Still loving that orange and black!!!

The latest upgrade has been fitted to the truck,I've changed the spur gear from a 57t to the smaller 54t. Until I test run her,I'm keeping the pinion at a 15t,though I also have 12t;13t;14t;16t;17t;&18t pinions as options.

Got her set up for running on grass,using 9 year old Kyosho buggy wheels with spiked tyres. I know that I only put on two wheels and not a full set,but I broke one of the wheels years ago and besides,it's a 2wd. I'll hopefully try to get some filming done over the next couple of days.....weather permitting that is.

PA060072_zpsal1yzdah.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back