Drilling and tapping the motor....is it necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCpete

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hi all, i have just installed a 42/74 hobbywing motor to my Talion....i notice that quite alot of people tap out there motors to fit the bolts that come on the stock motor. I understand why they do it, but i have not and the smaller bolts seem to hold the motor just fine.....has anyone had issues with the motor coming lose?......should i really tap out the motor? bearing in mind i only run 4s.

Any input appreciated.

i have the 2200 castle in mine and just used the smaller screws worked for me and have not had a problem

20170102_211500.jpg

Not completely necessary but being these motors put out some ridiculous hp, it certainly gives me added peace of mind.

Going from 3mm to 4mm screws almost doubles the clamp load IF the fasteners are torqued properly, approximately double the torque . If you only apply the same torque to the 4mm as was applied to the 3mm then the clamping force is around the same (actually slightly less ). Then the only benefit would be the added surface area under the 4mm cap head screw against the motor mount.

i have the 2200 castle in mine and just used the smaller screws worked for me and have not had a problem

Hi mate, sorry to bring this back up but you say your motor holds fine with the smaller bolts. Do you bash hard with big jumps or take it a little easier? Not really been able to test mine yet due to rubbish weather.

I bash it pretty hard I have ATV jumps in my yard and have gotten around 16 to 18 feet up doing back flips that I've missed. I just ordered my thrid wing because of it.

I bash it pretty hard I have ATV jumps in my yard and have gotten around 16 to 18 feet up doing back flips that I've missed. I just ordered my thrid wing because of it.

Thanks mate, that makes me feel a little better lol. Glad to hear you are going big with the jumps and everything is holding fine motor wise.........sorry to hear you are on your third wing tho lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back