Drilling holes for lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joostin420

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fazon
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Senton 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
i have never drilled holes this large in bodies. This body is different; it is like almost bathtub material. Would I use a reamer bit like these?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/171678943053

Thinking about installing headlights and tail lights.
DFBD8B52-37B8-40CF-A35A-FC31F4F08B89.jpeg
73721926-37A1-4BFD-B860-4838217C1607.jpeg
D7897E94-C486-47F1-853C-2745304C0B76.jpeg
46163219-E7BE-4D5A-B318-8CD26E9FEDD2.jpeg

Last edited:
I use those Unibits frequently and they do a fantastic job on a lot of plastics and sheet metal. Even up to about 3/8" thick metals. Leaves a nice nearly burr free hole. I do have some reservation with trying it on a thin flexible plastic. If it bites it could all go bad quick. Brand new and super sharp helps. Whatever you do, Don't get it into a finger. It will remove a sizeable hunk of meat fast. Been there, done that.

Oooh, I would like to keep all of my flesh :eek: I am very nervous about drilling giant holes in this body. From Germany and it wasn’t cheap. Shipping was almost as much as the body itself.

It would make me nervous too. You might be ahead to mark the holes and cut them with a carbide burr in a Dremel tool, at a slow enough speed to not melt the edge. Or if you can get a small enough hole saw you can drill the pilot hole then reverse the drill to cut the hole. Same principal as flipping the blade over on a circular saw to cut vinyl siding. Cuts nice and don't bite.

I've found that using step bits, drilled by hand works really well on polycarbonate. They can be pricey but I've already got a good assortment of them already on hand so that's what I've use on all my bodies. It takes a little longer doing it by hand but it gives greater control and takes away any potential for heat to be an issue.

I would pilot a 1/8” hole in the center of where you want it and those stepper bits will work fine. Just don’t press to hard while drilling. Let the bit do the work. You can easily make a bigger hole than you want really quickly.

Hole saw that poop!! I like to use a dul one when doing Plexiglas or plastics but that's just me. A sharp one works good too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back