Kraton Drive cups don’t want to take apart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon01

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
Need advise - I have tried to apply really significant force to fixing screw on my diff drive cups (see photo) but it doesn’t show any movement. Going further I’m afraid of stripping it or breaking a screwdriver. Any suggestions or should I know any hints?

Attachments

• 368E32A4-3F0A-4822-AFF7-EB6B63011296.jpeg
    368E32A4-3F0A-4822-AFF7-EB6B63011296.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
First things first, you will need a quality 2.0mm hex driver (no self-respecting RCer should use 90 degree Allen wrenches IMHO).

Second: Make sure driver is FULLY seated into the set screw (sometimes manufacturing process leaves metal chips at the base from the stamping process).

Third: Do not use brute force. Easy does it. Use a steady amount of torque using your wrist. If it doesn’t unscrew, heat head of the screw using a heated soldering iron for a minute or two, then unscrew.

Remember: Righty-Tighty (clockwise), Lefty-Loosey (counter clockwise) ☺️

It’s already MIP driver. I’ll try to heat. As about directions - I’m really doubt if there is somebody on this forum messing with it)

Exactly as @MrTitanium said.

I've been working on my Typhon a lot over the last two days and for some reason Arrma use a daft amount of threadlock on their screws.
I used my soldering iron to put heat into several "grub screws" and it worked helping to loosen them off every time.

I do use a quality set of allen key drivers as well which without a doubt helps.

What has worked for me is to spray WD40 wait 10 min and try again. Good luck.

heat, heat and more heat. just gotta liguify the thread locker. I use a hair dryer, if that's no Bueno then on to the solder iron.

good luck with that

Once you get that grub screw out, and yes, heat is the best way to break apart the thread lock, getting the pinion separated from the drive cup is a whole other issue. The thread lock bled down over the shaft, and made removing the pinion a hassle. This thread tells it better: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/too-much-red-loctite.9443/ Your going to have to heat the cup after you get the grub screw out, and tap the pinion back towards the inside of the bulk head.

Attachments

• 20190113_142023 - Copy.jpg
    20190113_142023 - Copy.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 33
??Ya... Notorious speaks from experience ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back