Outcast Drive it like you own it (3S)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tktran303

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
The Outcast had its first outing today.

Prior to running I adjusted the steering dual rate, taped up the wheel vents (currently the "wet season" here in the Top End of Australia) and reduced ESC punch setting down to 1.

I had deliberated for a long time on what batteries to buy- but couldn't decide. So I bought two 3S and one 4S pack- allowing me to run 3S, 4S and 6S.

My estimate is that it reaches about 40km/hr (25mph) on 3S. It still does rooster tails, feels just as powerful but more planted & composed than my neighbour's Axial Yeti Score trophy truck.

Which is great because when your 5 year old son drives it at full speed into a fence, you don't have to put the car back into its box on Boxing Day.

Learning how to drive is good, but I forgot to teach him how to brake:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hihi, so arrma had to put in a speed limiter with key lock into the transmitter! ;)
By the way,... i think a Outcast is not the right car in hand of a 5 year old kid..
With 6s it is a kind of weapon! :)

Regards,
lonee

Hihi, so arrma had to put in a speed limiter with key lock into the transmitter! ;)
By the way,... i think a Outcast is not the right car in hand of a 5 year old kid..
With 6s it is a kind of weapon! :)

Regards,
lonee
A five year old driving a brushless RC that can do 60MPH is stunning - what a fool. Some people should not be parents.

Julian,

I prepped the ESC's punch setting down to 1 and install only a single 3S pack, and am running the stock 12T pinion ( If I can find a suitable 8-10tooth pinion I may even try that)

In this state, it doesn't do wheelies, backflips or jumps. My son still has great fun driving it. We plays games like following a track, looping around cones, following arrows drawn by his colourful chalk, doing running races (poor old dad running alongside the car)

I didn't choose the Outcast because it could do 60mph. I chose the Outcast because it is a sturdy RTR RC with metal components, unlike the plastic RC toys I recall having on Christmas Day when I was a boy about that age, and breaking it within a few days.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Tuned down in an open area with no one else around I think it is a great car for a 5 year old to learn on. I just wouldn't have him driving it in places where he can run it into anybody. Just because it can do 60mph doesn't mean you have to run it at that speed. I have my 3 1/2 year old learning to drive on a brushed granite. I taped a piece of foam under the trigger. He can only make it go about 15 mph, gets great run times and he is getting really proficient. I still take him out to a nice wide open field to let it run. I have let him drive my Kraton on 4s with foam taped under the trigger. Out in an open dirt field no one else around and me right next to him.

A five year old driving a brushless RC that can do 60MPH is stunning - what a fool. Some people should not be parents.
Take it easy turbo, that is a pretty hostile way to act. If you would have slowed down enough to read his entire post you might have realized that it was on 3s in a controlled environment before you went all keyboard warior and made yourself look like a tool. I have ran my outcast on 3s and it is plenty docile. I personally can't wait until my son is old enough to start doing things like that with me.

You´re wellcome Julian,
I had seen what a 6s Arrma can be, and that is nothing for 5 year old kid without reducing the speed.
Anyway, if you're kid will hit someone with a 6Kg Nero, ore something like that, and the human will come oft with harm,....
we can start the discussion again.

Regards,
lonee

Just a quick update on our 3S runs.

Everything is still stock, apart from ESC punch setting 1.

We've had about half a dozen outings with the Outcast. Bitumen (empty parking lot), gravel (empty parking lot), grass x2 (football fields), skate park, & bicycle velodrome.

I must say I'm very pleased with this car. Enough ground clearance for most surfaces, excellent suspension to soak up lumps and bumps, good braking, and very durable.

As for breaks- nothing so far. No pinion gears, no body cracks, no A-arms. On 2 separate occasions a sway bar popped out, and a shock absorber popped out, but easily popped back in.

The main downside is the turning circle is a bit large, particularly on grass. The wide tyres have a difficulty turning in the tall thick grass we have here in northern Australia.

We went cycling yesterday, after my son did a dozen or so laps around the velodrome, he got tired. So we got the Outcast out and played a game- following the line around the velodrome.

I liked that- much easier than doing running races against dad down a football field. :)

Last edited:
:) sounds good.
it fits to my impressions with the cars of this company.
I am very satisfied that I had decided Arrma and specially the Big Rock instead of Traxxas E-Revo or Summit.

Nice one !!!
My 7 year old won't use anything But the 6s it makes for a nervous dad Ha ha !! we love it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back