Driveshaft and Wheel Axle Screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Had a crash on my Granite and the wheel axle came off. Come to find out a screw that is accessed from inside the drive shaft came loose. The thing is, I can't figure out how to access it to fix it. Does anyone know and happen to know what size hex it is?

The schematic on Arrma.com doesn't actually show the screw, but it goes inside the drive shaft and screws into the axle. It goes between AR310780 and AR310784.
driveshaft.jpg

Slide the half shaft apart. The screw is in there. (outer female half) Probably a 2 or 2.5mm hex. You will know. Just need a longish Hex driver. Use Blue Threadlocker and let cure for 24 hours before running it. Arrma doesn't use TL there but they should have. You are not alone on this.

:cool: Hope I understood your question well enough.

Slide the half shaft apart. The screw is in there. (outer female half) Probably a 2 or 2.5mm hex. You will know. Just need a longish Hex driver. Use Blue Threadlocker and let cure for 24 hours before running it. Arrma doesn't use TL there but they should have. You are not alone on this.

It is a 2mm screw. And you definitely need a longer hex driver to reach it (MIP is too short) You should check and lock tite the other three wheels at the same time. I had this happen on one car so I went through all three of my cars and lock tited those screws.

As they said above 👆🏻
I had to do the same thing as my wheel went opposite of the Big Rock 😂

On my wife’s new big rock the wheel spun off again after I’d checked and lock tited all… and when I looked at that metal piece where the retaining screw goes in, it was more then half full of old lock tite or something. I checked the other wheels and found one other the same. I had to chisel it all out to get the screw to fit deep enough. It was a pain to do, had to heat it up and use a small drill bit to clear it all out then used a long socket head screw to forcefully rethread it.
Thread 'Big Rock Wheel falls off, take 2'
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/big-rock-wheel-falls-off-take-2.42527/

Thank you. I'm new to using thread locker but this would be a screw into metal so it's ok right? (Even though it's kind of going between plastic?) I would just want a tiny dab on the screen tip, correct?

I think my 2mm hex is too fat. I can't get it in all the way! I have this dynamite set.

Could someone link a driver they know will fit through the shaft and reach that screw?

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm new to using thread locker but this would be a screw into metal so it's ok right? (Even though it's kind of going between plastic?) I would just want a tiny dab on the screen tip, correct?

I think my 2mm hex is too fat. I can't get it in all the way! I have this dynamite set.
I can’t tell from the picture. It’s a bit difficult to find the screw head that you can’t see so keep gently trying. Hmm… the drive shaft is plenty big but the small hole in the center of the metal hinge pins may be too small for your set. Let me check…
Yeah, Your hex tool has to be able to fit through that small metal hole in the first picture. I access it through the driveshaft itself (2nd and 3rd pictures).

516D0968-FF83-40CD-B935-942EF25FC3AA.jpeg

2365FFED-D3DF-42A1-B633-AF5F5924EEB5.jpeg

593EF169-3626-4E42-AC3C-29CE42A7E6C1.jpeg

I can’t tell from the picture. It’s a bit difficult to find the screw head that you can’t see so keep gently trying. Hmm… the drive shaft is plenty big but the small hole in the center of the metal hinge pins may be too small for your set. Let me check…

Yeah, Your hex tool has to be able to fit through that small metal hole in the first picture. I access it through the driveshaft itself normally (2nd and 3rd pictures).

I just picked up a set of Neewer hex tools and they only cost 14 bucks on amazon. They’re actually fantastic. Two of my MIP drivers shattered during use so I’m not using those anymore.

Attachments

• 4F60582C-2A85-4742-A083-DAFF52832077.jpeg
    4F60582C-2A85-4742-A083-DAFF52832077.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, Your hex tool has to be able to fit through that small metal hole in the first picture. I access it through the driveshaft itself (2nd and 3rd pictures).

View attachment 168195

View attachment 168197

View attachment 168198

Yeah, Your hex tool has to be able to fit through that small metal hole in the first picture. I access it through the driveshaft itself normally (2nd and 3rd pictures).

I just picked up a set of Neewer hex tools and they only cost 14 bucks on amazon. They’re actually fantastic. Two of my MIP drivers shattered during use so I’m not using those anymore.
Your first photo looks like the shaft is bent so much you could get to the screw right from there? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo. Mine definitely can't bend that much at the joint and I would have to go through the plastic drive shaft as you indicated in your second/third photo.

I mean to ask, what does MIP stand for?

Your first photo looks like the shaft is bent so much you could get to the screw right from there? Maybe it's just the angle of the photo. Mine definitely can't bend that much at the joint and I would have to go through the plastic drive shaft as you indicated in your second/third photo.

I mean to ask, what does MIP stand for?
It’s the angle of the photo. If I try to go direct through there it puts pressure on the plastic driveshaft. I tried it once and almost popped the driveshaft doing it.
It’s the angle of the photo. If I try to go direct through there it puts pressure on the plastic driveshaft. I tried it once and almost popped the driveshaft doing it.
I think it’s Moore industry product? Or something like that

I think it’s Moore industry product? Or something like that
Moores ideal products. Had to look it up 🙃

You understood exactly by the way. Thank you. :)

Do all four like stated above. They will all fall apart if not Threadlocked.:cool:

Hex drivers seem to be really hard to find at my local Lowe’s. Would they be called anything else?
Allen wrenches or L wrenches. Some guy Allen had the patent once upon a time.
The Home Depot also has a poor selection if any of small Hex wrenches. The fold up set suck for RC use. All I see there.
MIP's are the best for hobby grade use. VP as well IMHO. But you can get away with AMZ cheapos in a pinch also if funds are short. But they can wear out fast and can ruin/strip hex bolts sometimes if you are heavy handed or use them with Threadlocked fasteners improperly. Need hex drivers with handles. Like with a standard screw driver handle is best for RC work.

Last edited:
Allen wrenches or L wrenches. Some guy Allen had the patent once upon a time.
The Home Depot also has a poor selection if any of small Hex wrenches. The fold up set suck for RC use. All I see there.
MIP's are the best for hobby grade use. VP as well IMHO. But you can get away with AMZ cheapos in a pinch also if funds are short. But they can wear out fast and can ruin/strip hex bolts sometimes if you are heavy handed or use them with Threadlocked fasteners improperly. Need hex drivers with handles. Like with a standard screw driver handle is best for RC work.
I'm not a tool guy but I am ashamed to admit I didn't actually realize allen wrenches and hexes were one and the same. (I did always wonder why they were called allen wrenches though!) My new hex set (The same ones @Velodromed showed actually) should be arriving tomorrow. Even though I have all the same sizes on my cheap little dynamite set, I think I may like these better being they have their own handles and wont have to keep switching them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back