Granite Driveshaft upgrades for 3S BLX?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozeki

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 3s
My driveshafts keep breaking at the wheel hinge on both my Granite and Senton. Is there a better/more durable part I can be using or is there a way to better secure the stock version?

I'm grateful for the warranty replacement parts but I'm tired of having to do this job over and over...

20201128_144049.jpg

20201128_144204.jpg

Try loosening your slipper a bit, I've ran stock driveshafts since I got my granite only had rears go out once after tightening slipper too much. Slipper should be tightened all the way and then loosened 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 turns

There is metal cvds but I've heard they don't last much longer if at all over stock shafts. Setting your slipper right will save a lot of parts in your drivetrain.
Screenshot_20201129-090720.png

I have the ar310870 mentioned by slick2500. They're great. Had them for months with no issues. I was popping the stock shafts every time I ran my granite before. No issues since. By the way,. I only have them in the rear. Waiting for them to come back in stock so I can upgrade the fronts........
For now just set your slipper kinda loose until you can order those and take it easy....

Arrma makes some upgrade shafts, haven't really seen much on these from anyone that has them and they have been on backorder for a while now Expected Thu, Dec 31, 2020 https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-4x4-mega-cvd-slider-set-ara310870/p775219
The Arrma upgrade driveshafts will absolutely fix problems with popping hinges. It has a totally different design.
CVD SLIDER SET (1 Pair) (AR310870) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
The only reason I'm not still using them is because they are not compatible with the thicker Typhon axles. If you don't have a problem with bending/snapping axles, then definitely get the Arrma upgrade driveshafts. I've bent/snapped many Granite/Senton axles, so loosening my slipper and using stock driveshafts has worked out better for me. Loosening at least 1-1/8 turns seems be the minimum to avoid frequent pop outs.

Ive got some of the gpm cvds on my typhon. They are v heavy, but i realised i was busting driveshafts due to seized wheel bearings. Worth 2x checking.
This was our issue twice. Seized bearing broken driveshaft.
The Arrma upgrade driveshafts will absolutely fix problems with popping hinges. It has a totally different design.
CVD SLIDER SET (1 Pair) (AR310870) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
The only reason I'm not still using them is because they are not compatible with the thicker Typhon axles. If you don't have a problem with bending/snapping axles, then definitely get the Arrma upgrade driveshafts. I've bent/snapped many Granite/Senton axles, so loosening my slipper and using stock driveshafts has worked out better for me. Loosening at least 1-1/8 turns seems be the minimum to avoid frequent pop outs.
That's an expensive upgrade. Might be worth it in the long run though.

Although broken axles sounds like a much bigger pain in the ass than a broken plastic driveshaft.

Loosening the slipper sounds like the best and cheapest option.

The only reason I'm not still using them is because they are not compatible with the thicker Typhon axles.
True... unless you use arrma 14mm wheel hubs with something like the hot racing 14mm to 17mm adaptor (this is how i am getting the gpm cvds onto my typhon).

True... unless you use arrma 14mm wheel hubs with something like the hot racing 14mm to 17mm adaptor (this is how i am getting the gpm cvds onto my typhon).
I used to have the Hot Racing adapters. The Hot Racing adapters only work with Granite/Senton size axles (same size as GPM CVD axles)
WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310784) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com) or
CVD WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310868) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
The Typhon axles are much thicker.
WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310905) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
I don't think you can use the GPM CVD's/Hot Racing adapters with Typhon axles. But please let me know if I'm wrong.

Although broken axles sounds like a much bigger pain in the ass than a broken plastic driveshaft.

Loosening the slipper sounds like the best and cheapest option.
Actually, the axles are cheaper. Both driveshafts and axles are easy to replace. So it all depends on which you break more often. I hear more people breaking driveshafts than axles, but for me it was axles. So far, the Typhon axles have not broken once.

Last edited:
I used to have the Hot Racing adapters. The Hot Racing adapters only work with Granite/Senton size axles (same size as GPM CVD axles)
WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310784) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com) or
CVD WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310868) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
The Typhon axles are much thicker.
WHEEL AXLE (2pcs) (AR310905) | ARRMA - Designed Fast, Designed Tough (arrma-rc.com)
I don't think you can use the GPM CVD's/Hot Racing adapters with Typhon axles. But please let me know if I'm wrong.

Actually, the axles are cheaper. Both driveshafts and axles are easy to replace. So it all depends on which you break more often. I hear more people breaking driveshafts than axles, but for me it was axles. So far, the Typhon axles have not broken once.
You can swap the Typhon stub axles for granite stub axles. That's how I run the Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for the Granite on my Typhon.

Yep we have exactly this action on my son's gryphon. Typhon a arms, granite wheel axle, hot racing 10mm offset adapters to 17mm. It's mint. Maybe I'll get him these money driveshafts for Christmas.

You can swap the Typhon stub axles for granite stub axles. That's how I run the Hot Racing 17mm hex adapters for the Granite on my Typhon.
Yes, I know, I have a Granite, I switched to the Typhon axles because I kept snapping the Granite axles. Unfortunately I can't use the CVD driveshafts anymore. So it's a choice between snapping axles or popping driveshafts.

But doesn't the Typhon already come with 17mm hexes? You're using the Hot Racing adapters for the 10mm extension?

Last edited:
We have not yet broken an axle either the 4mm granite or the 6mm typhon axle. We got typhon axles for the granite but the wheels we got did not have an offset and we wanted wider so we went back to the 4mm and got the adaptors with the offset.
hot-racing.com › ...
ATF117XT02 Aluminum Heavy Duty 17mm Hex Hubs ... - Hot Racing

Yes, I know, I have a Granite, I switched to the Typhon axles because I kept snapping the Granite axles. Unfortunately I can't use the CVD driveshafts anymore. So it's a choice between snapping axles or popping driveshafts.

But doesn't the Typhon already come with 17mm hexes? You're using the Hot Racing adapters for the 10mm extension?
Yeah, it's the only direct fit option that I could find. There are some Redcat hexes that can be made to fit but they felt a bit sloppier to me than the Hot Racing setup.

OK, I'm going to make a video this weekend. :confused:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back