Outcast Drivetrain noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dempy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys,

I'm a new (to me) Outcast owner since last week. I'm coming from a Traxxas E-Maxx, and I was wondering if the drivetrain noise coming from the Outcast is normal.

I've checked it out, and the gear mesh is perfect. Trying to push the car forward by hand, there's a lot of resistance coming from the motor (with the power in the off position). Also, I did a 2 minute test drive on the road, on 4s with the stock 12t pinion. After that run the motor was already pretty hot. I could touch it, but it didn't have to be much hotter before getting burned...

Could you guys please have a look at the clip and tell me if everything is ok? Or what could be wrong?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm a new (to me) Outcast owner since last week. I'm coming from a Traxxas E-Maxx, and I was wondering if the drivetrain noise coming from the Outcast is normal.

I've checked it out, and the gear mesh is perfect. Trying to push the car forward by hand, there's a lot of resistance coming from the motor (with the power in the off position). Also, I did a 2 minute test drive on the road, on 4s with the stock 12t pinion. After that run the motor was already pretty hot. I could touch it, but it didn't have to be much hotter before getting burned...

Could you guys please have a look at the clip and tell me if everything is ok? Or what could be wrong?

Hi guys,

Just got my Outcast 2 days ago and it doesn't sound like that at all. Have you checked the drive shaft or dog bones? Maybe binding up or hitting plastic parts? One of my lower shocks wasn't seated right and was hitting my dog bone after my first run. Worth taking a look.

Thanks for your quick answer.

The noise seems to be caused by the motor itself. Trying to spin the motor by hand, it does not turn smooth at all. I'm under the impression the noise is caused by the jerking of the motor... Or are the magnets that strong?

The diffs sound smooth without the motor attached.

Thanks for your quick answer.

The noise seems to be caused by the motor itself. Trying to spin the motor by hand, it does not turn smooth at all. I'm under the impression the noise is caused by the jerking of the motor... Or are the magnets that strong?

The diffs sound smooth without the motor attached.
Something is rubbing big time in there. It's not the pinion on the motor mount is it ??

I dismounted the motor mount, but nothing seems to be rubbing.

Looking at the motor mount, the previous owner must have done something wrong. You'll see the damage in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_7221.JPG
    IMG_7221.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 89
I dismounted the motor mount, but nothing seems to be rubbing.

Looking at the motor mount, the previous owner must have done something wrong. You'll see the damage in the picture.

The gear mesh is way to tight bro !!! That's why it over heating for sure.
The marks on the mount are him trying to leaver of the stock 12 tooth pinion. They use red thread locker and it is hard to get off. You have to heat it up with a soldering iron to loosen it off.
Back off the motor and set the gap with around 1mm of play. Read the manual it will make sense.
No wonder he sold it looks like he had no idea. :)
IMG_3966.jpg

Thanks for your help. I will try to back of the gear mesh a bit tonight and check it again.

Good news, after some adjusting of the gear mesh, it souds 'normal' again. I will have to get used to steel gears after having owned several Traxxas vehicles ;)

When you set the mesh backlash between the pinion and spur gear,just place a piece of thick printer paper
between the gears,that's a simple/easy way to adjust the play.

Dang I thought mine was loud. Nothing like that though. It looks like the previous owner put a new pinion on there, possibly with a slightly larger diameter than before. And then just used the stock position for the motor, with out setting the mesh properly. Great that you were able to get it fixed that quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back