Talion Driving our 6s cars on the beach...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braam

Reaction score
So, Summer Holidays are fast approaching over here in South Africa and I'm thinking of taking my new Talion baby with me to the beach house to bash up some sand dunes ! ?

But.... All that sand...all the small parts and fans...best of ideas :unsure:

So my question is, can it be done safely by say making sure you have topped up all your diffs with lube and perhaps using some tape to tape the body to the chassis to keep sand from getting in ? Other tips ? Or is is just a bad idea ?

Obviously will be staying clear of people and salt water - this goes without saying.

So, Summer Holidays are fast approaching over here in South Africa and I'm thinking of taking my new Talion baby with me to the beach house to bash up some sand dunes ! ?

So my question is, can it be done safely by say making sure you have topped up all your diffs with lube and perhaps using some tape to tape the body to the chassis to keep sand from getting in ? Other tips ? Or is is just a bad idea ?

Obviously will be staying clear of people and salt water - this goes without saying.
Search out the posts by @Primarrma. He's from down under and had some good suggestions on how to prevent sand getting into certain areas. It's inevitable that you'll have to tear it down to clean it soon after though. Sand might be the one thing that's worse than water for an rc, especially very fine beach sand.

On my side, so far this is what I generally do (batteries removed). First I remove the battery tray and all the general protection parts for a better access inside then:

1. On dry sand, I use my air compressor to clean it. I insist on places where there's a bearing (I count 14 bearings on my Senton 6S)
2. On wet sand, I rince it, I dry it with a hair drier and then I use the air compressor.
Then, later, I "re-oil" everything with the correct oils like everyone does (bearings, balls, everything that moves, etc.)

I would protect the batteries as sand can go inside along the wires. I use tapes to close the gaps. I have a 4S Turnigy graphene panther and pfff I have put tapes at the front (very "opened") and at the back otherwise I get mud, dust, stuff inside.

So far so good, no issue due to salt and sand. Never leave it a night without cleaning and inspect the next day.

Dry sand is not an issue at all if you seal up your diff cases, wet sand is not good, it sticks to everything. Wet sand will damage your motor, battery leads, fans, bearings, and will start surface rust if left unattended. Having said this, you have to give it a try, the beach is the most fun place I've ever driven my RCs. If the sand is dry it's a lot more fun, it doesn't stick in the wheels and unbalance them(I vent my tires so the wheel holes are covered). The wet sand sticks to everything and makes the car heavier, slow and unbalanced it's not enjoyable.

Maybe try some panty hose like @Notorious J used on his Outcast to help keep the sand out of the body.
I'm opening a subsidiary of Jennys Rc called Johnny's PH. One stop shopping for all your rc hosiery needs. Black always in stock, nude on order and arriving shortly. Fish nets for the hobbiest that demands better air flow, in a wide range of colors and weaves.

"Johnny's PH. Where your rc comes to feel sexy before the big bash"

I'm opening a subsidiary of Jennys Rc called Johnny's PH. One stop shopping for all your rc hosiery needs. Black always in stock, nude on order and arriving shortly. Fish nets for the hobbiest that demands better air flow, in a wide range of colors and weaves.

So, you will now be Jenner RC?
Here you go..

Attachments

• 73EE12F3-0060-43B1-9EA2-7F060656897A.jpeg
    73EE12F3-0060-43B1-9EA2-7F060656897A.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Sand makes me cringe, don't even run my quads in it.

Sand makes me cringe, don't even run my quads in it.
The dirt we have around us is generally worse, it is so fine that it gets into places even sand can't get. If I ever hit a puddle it's game over for the motor bearings and takes weeks of dry driving to get the mud to fall off. Washing the car isn't much help without a full tear down, it just pushes the dirt in further.

The dirt we have around us is generally worse, it is so fine that it gets into places even sand can't get. If I ever hit a puddle it's game over for the motor bearings and takes weeks of dry driving to get the mud to fall off. Washing the car isn't much help without a full tear down, it just pushes the dirt in further.
So you can't win no matter where you drive offroad.

Sounds like the dirt here. It's even a pain to get off my real car.

Noooooo! I live in California, way close to beaches. Sand is super fun but ultimately, from my experience, it destroys your car. Electronics, spinning components and tires. Wet sand gets on and in absolutely everywhere! Im serious. Just don't do wet, fine sand.

I run my rigs in wet salty sand and they are OK. Top tip is to completely clean the with fresh water afterwards otherwise the rust will set in. The only problem i had was water getting into the receiver box and making that rusty so i sealed it with silicone sealer. You can get a dusty motors internal protection bag that fits over the rig inside the shell. How good they would be at keeping sand out is another question. I know a few guy's in Saudi Arabia who run on sand all the time and they don't have problems but they do look after their RC'S. Beach bashing is so much fun

Yeah honestly I can't help it either. I keep my trucks in my car almost always. I beat the snot out of my talion daily and like I said, 15 mins from beach. Air compressor and fresh water for rinses. Maybe some graphite lube when everything is dry for ball cups. Idk. I go from the wet sand at the beach to a golf course and let the grass clean my truck too

That's awesome. My truck needs to get out there and make that money.... cuz she needs a new pair of shoes

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back