Dual 40mm fan install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Av642

Reaction score
Just power them off the bec. It will provide the 5 volts you need for them to work properly. good luck 🍀

Just power them off the bec. It will provide the 5 volts you need for them to work properly. good luck 🍀
Thank you! I guess I won't have to worry about the fans pulling too many amps.

I know the alternative is people use 2s lipos, is that just so the run time isn't decreased due to the fan usage?

Thank you! I guess I won't have to worry about the fans pulling too many amps.

I know the alternative is people use 2s lipos, is that just so the run time isn't decreased due to the fan usage?

Yes.
But, mainly it keeps your fans going after you shutoff (or drain your main lipos) Just so it can keep cooling down your motor. Especially after a hard bash session. 👍

Yeah, Watch out for those high temperatures on your motor... If it gets too high for long periods, it will shorten your motor's lifespan.
Especially during your Summer time bashes. 😎

Hey all

I bought 2x40mm surpass rocket fans and 3d printed a mount for it.

https://surpasshobbyusa.net/rocket-red-40mm-aluminum-cooling-fan-16-000rpm/sp-420003-01/

My question is, what's the best way to power the fans? I read each fan can take 8.4 volts, I also bought a jst y connector for the fans.

I have the stock firma 150 esc.

Connecting both fans to the esc would probably be a bad idea right?

Thanks all, new to all this!
Either go to the ESC or the Rx. Any open Rx port will provide same BEC volts as if connected to the ESC Fan Plug. Sometimes easier to use the ESC's fan port. Being closer to the motor. Your call. But I prefer it at the ESC fan port. Depends on the rig I have.
The fans will run faster if you use a higher BEC voltage setting at the ESC.
6v is usually what most ESC's BEC voltage is set to by default. 7.2 or 7.4 volts are usually BEC voltage options.(some ESC's even have 8.4v ) Just make sure your Servo and Rx can handle 8.4 volts. They share the same BEC voltage circuit.

Last edited:
Either go to the ESC or the Rx. Any open Rx port will provide same BEC volts as if connected to the ESC Fan Plug. Sometimes easier to use the ESC's fan port. Being closer to the motor. Your call. But I prefer it at the ESC fan port. Depends on the rig I have.
The fans will run faster if you use a higher BEC voltage setting at the ESC.
6v is usually what most ESC's BEC voltage is set to by default. 7.2 or 7.4 volts are usually BEC voltage options.(some ESC's even have 8.4v ) Just make sure your Servo and Rx can handle 8.4 volts. They share the same BEC voltage circuit.
Thanks for mentioning the 8.4v. I'm still on the stock firma but will have to consider hw or other esc that can provide 8.4v for my servo and fans.

Hey I wanted to ask how do those nidec 40x28 fans do, happy with them or it if you’re only running one? I have those in my cart along with many others but that was the one I’m leaving towards. I liked the amp draw rating, almost 1.0 amp should do good. just need to cool my Mojave down I’m on the throttle most of the time and so far no fan set up I’ve tried has helped

Hey I wanted to ask how do those nidec 40x28 fans do, happy with them or it if you’re only running one? I have those in my cart along with many others but that was the one I’m leaving towards. I liked the amp draw rating, almost 1.0 amp should do good. just need to cool my Mojave down I’m on the throttle most of the time and so far no fan set up I’ve tried has helped
I pick these up and when they arrived I was super happy because they’re very solid, have an on off switch. Aluminum front and rear plates and are wired correctly. They are ready to go on a power hobby mount that I already have. I couldn’t put these together for the price that I bought them. 20 bucks is a screaming deal. Please note that I have not run them yet. But from inspecting them I think they are very good.

DKKY 1/10 1/8 1/5 RC Model Car Brushed Brushless Motor Heatsink 4028 High Speed Cooling Fan Dual Fans 12V Aluminum Fan Cover DIY Kits for TRAXXAS ARRMA Axial RC Car Upgrade Parts (Black) https://a.co/d/1llOGPK

EF05BA85-1885-4704-AEC0-7FAE0879B1BA.png

For 10 bucks more you can get a set that includes a side mount. I just prefer my power hobby top mounts.
DKKY RC Motor Heatsink Cooling Fan with 47-51mm Adjustable Mount, 21000 RPM High Speed 4028 Cooling Dual Fans for TRAXXAS 1717 4985 Motor and ARRMA Infraction, Felony, Limitless and Axial Motor Blue https://a.co/d/iQiI1qB

Attachments

• 0723E5BD-4A65-4222-A529-AFCF88286E0D.png
    0723E5BD-4A65-4222-A529-AFCF88286E0D.png
    496.5 KB · Views: 51
I pick these up and when they arrived I was super happy because they’re very solid, have an on off switch. Aluminum front and rear plates and are wired correctly. They are ready to go on a power hobby mount that I already have. I couldn’t put these together for the price that I bought them. 20 bucks is a screaming deal. Please note that I have not run them yet. But from inspecting them I think they are very good.

DKKY 1/10 1/8 1/5 RC Model Car Brushed Brushless Motor Heatsink 4028 High Speed Cooling Fan Dual Fans 12V Aluminum Fan Cover DIY Kits for TRAXXAS ARRMA Axial RC Car Upgrade Parts (Black) https://a.co/d/1llOGPK

View attachment 254657
For 10 bucks more you can get a set that includes a side mount. I just prefer my power hobby top mounts.
DKKY RC Motor Heatsink Cooling Fan with 47-51mm Adjustable Mount, 21000 RPM High Speed 4028 Cooling Dual Fans for TRAXXAS 1717 4985 Motor and ARRMA Infraction, Felony, Limitless and Axial Motor Blue https://a.co/d/iQiI1qB
Bummer, they’re $30 now! 50% increase. You got a good deal assuming they work well

Gday mate how did you go with the install, im at the same junctions as you were and am wondering where to get power from there is a spare plug from the ESC however my electronic store said to check if the wire is thick enough to handle the current??? anyone know if this will be an issue or not

IMG_8199.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

🤣plug it and find out i did had no problems i did with no issues but i did find out that the blades break...i have sr515 i had to reverse polarity to make them work on my mmx 6s esc but your esc not sure on that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back