Kraton Dual cooling fans for 40 mm motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea, but to me it just seems like extra clutter inside the car and kind of unnecessary as I can accomplish the same thing off the balance leads of one of my main battery packs with a simple adapter. I know balance leads are only rated for 2A but I run two fans with a combined amp draw of 3.5-4A off of one without issue. I have a 3-way switch located in my right rear wheel well for easy access that allows me to switch between 2S and 3S operation. This is more than enough for my needs as I just don't have any big load items at present and I don't see any coming up in the foreseeable future.
I think it's got a use case for the speed-run guys: single connector, basically a SUPER-BEC you can just add on and leave permanently somewhere in the car. (I ordered some 12V/5A ones, that's a TON of server fans) wont work for everyone, but it may be a good alternative! also: will let you run 12V fans off anything 4S and above

I think it's got a use case for the speed-run guys: single connector, basically a SUPER-BEC you can just add on and leave permanently somewhere in the car. (I ordered some 12V/5A ones, that's a TON of server fans) wont work for everyone, but it may be a good alternative! also: will let you run 12V fans off anything 4S and above
I don't think it's really of much use for speed running (at least for the serious runners) as they will only do one pass which isn't enough to heat a motor to critical temperatures. Raz doesn't use fans anymore at all and he's running in the 190s. Same with vwturbowolf. I don't use mine after single passes either. I don't have an actual car to transport my RC stuff to my spot so I have to drive it there and back. Sometimes I'll mess about a little on the way back and turn on the fan intermittently should temperatures go above 60°C (140°F). I only run 3S and 4S packs and have adapters for either. Since I don't run them constantly, there's no worry about unbalancing anything. I can draw 4A without issue from a balance lead and that's as much as I'll ever need.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'm just stating my thoughts and my reasoning for them.

So just out of curiosity, from where are you powering the device? Off of one of your main packs, the power leads of the ESC or an extra battery for the fans?

I don't think it's really of much use for speed running (at least for the serious runners) as they will only do one pass which isn't enough to heat a motor to critical temperatures. Raz doesn't use fans anymore at all and he's running in the 190s. Same with vwturbowolf. I don't use mine after single passes either. I don't have an actual car to transport my RC stuff to my spot so I have to drive it there and back. Sometimes I'll mess about a little on the way back and turn on the fan intermittently should temperatures go above 60°C (140°F). I only run 3S and 4S packs and have adapters for either. Since I don't run them constantly, there's no worry about unbalancing anything. I can draw 4A without issue from a balance lead and that's as much as I'll ever need.

Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, I'm just stating my thoughts and my reasoning for them.

So just out of curiosity, from where are you powering the device? Off of one of your main packs, the power leads of the ESC or an extra battery for the fans?
You're probably right about use case (but I bet RC in general is a good use case)

Since the parts to prototype were less than $100 USD i just went ahead and ordered some.

I've cleaned up my use case a bit and asked for some testers in the linked thread, sorry to threadjack

Last edited:
Last edited:
Been there. Garbage. Both the fans and HS.
Use Fan mount(s) without a HS. And 2 x 20x40mm fans. Use a pigtail connector and plug into any one of your open Receiver Ports.
hs? ya mean the surpass hobby fans are junk but the mounts been good? mines still hummin away but if fans go, then yea id replace them, not understanding what a 2mmx20mmx40mm is, is that a typo SrC?

I guess I don't get the joke.
really? i guess I don't devote majority of my life enough to rc lingo. of all the abreviations and leters that could be shorts for brands, or meanings im sorry but I did'nt think of "heat sink" when srv said hs....it was funny because im like oh duh, but clearly you still didnt get it, whatever... eitherway my "HS" has been fine, fits firm and does its job, but I also have respect for SrC's feedback.

really? i guess I don't devote majority of my life enough to rc lingo. of all the abreviations and leters that could be shorts for brands, or meanings im sorry but I did'nt think of "heat sink" when srv said hs....it was funny because im like oh duh, but clearly you still didnt get it, whatever... eitherway my "HS" has been fine, fits firm and does its job, but I also have respect for SrC's feedback.
lol, fair enough. FWIW, I don't devote much of my life to RC lingo either. I just deduced it from the context. I'm not hip to all the abbreviations either. But now I get the joke. Thanks for clarifying :)

lol, fair enough. FWIW, I don't devote much of my life to RC lingo either. I just deduced it from the context. I'm not hip to all the abbreviations either. But now I get the joke. Thanks for clarifying :)
ok.

This thread feels like the office episode where Kevin tries to save time by using abbreviated language and just ends up wasting so much extra time explaining his abbreviations

I'm having success with the same brand dual fan mount but I got 2 50mm fans cooling my 1100kv motor (mm means millimeters and kv is kooling voltage)

Last edited:
hs? ya mean the surpass hobby fans are junk but the mounts been good? mines still hummin away but if fans go, then yea id replace them, not understanding what a 2mmx20mmx40mm is, is that a typo SrC?
I was saying (2) 40mm x 20 mm fans. Most Clip on and Clamping HS don't work best IMHO. They don't have Good surface contact to the motor. The heat transfer sucks. Just keeps heat at the motor and blocks blowing air if anything. Inefficient IMHO. My Temp gun doesn't lie.:giggle:
The motor itself is a HS ( Heatsink) already by design. All motors.
Best to have fans blow directly onto the motor's Can. Try sourcing a good Fan mount that will hold 40mm fans.. Then choose your favorite 40mm fans for it. A 20mm, taller fan is best. Pushes More CFM's. I also find the blades tend to break less easily. I have the Powerhooby and YR and other setups here also. The fans always break, and the HS doesn't make things any cooler IMHO. I find it slows down cooling. One by one I have to replace the setup as they fail.
Many use a HS as a crutch, for mounting purposes. And it appears "trick" looking.
Just get a good fan mount instead.
Even skip the OE Arrma HS.(n)

Last edited:
I was saying (2) 40mm x 20 mm fans. Most Clip on HS don't work best IMHO.
The motor itself is a HS ( Heatsink).
Best to have fans blow directly onto the motor's Can. Try sourcing a good Fan mount that will hold 40mm fans.. Then choose your favotite 40mm fans for it. A 20mm, taller fan is best. Pushes More CFM's. I also find the blades tend to break less easily. I have the Powerhooby and YR and other setups here. The fans always break, and the HS doesn't make things any cooler IMHO.
ahhh...i turned my timing down a bit so i haven't had any heat issues, but the fans are just a security blanket for me, but i can see over time blades breaking, and or if hard bashing/jumping how it could fail, but im pretty easy on my rig... thanks for clarifing!

Yeah I am VERY conservative with my timing also. Even default timing is too much for my liking with most ESC's.
The very slight increase in RPM's that you get doesn't outweigh all the heat that motor's increased timing generates.
Increased timing will always need a smaller pinion. I feel it goes hand in hand, if you do experiment with timing advance.
Considering Ambient air temps and having a temp gun in hand is best way to approach this.

Last edited:
I second the 4028
All I use
👍
Are these the 1amp avc 40x20 fans 21000 rpm ? I just recently found them on Ali express cheap and about to order em up !
I second the 4028
All I use
👍
Buddy of mine gave me a fan almost identical to this one and it’s awesome ! I just found the same company avc 40x40x20 but 1 amp !!!21k rpm ! On aliexpress the back sticker is green ,they look almost identical as these but twice the power at a fraction of the cost They’re cheap ! And u can buy. A 10 pack for like $40 free shipping on that item ..I’ll have to find them again as I cleared my history I lost my carriage 😡I’ll post up link soon as I do ..best bang for the buck especially if u give them dedicated 3s battery they mooove air!
Are these the 1amp avc 40x20 fans 21000 rpm ? I just recently found them on Ali express cheap and about to order em up !

Buddy of mine gave me a fan almost identical to this one and it’s awesome ! I just found the same company avc 40x40x20 but 1 amp !!!21k rpm ! On aliexpress the back sticker is green ,they look almost identical as these but twice the power at a fraction of the cost They’re cheap ! And u can buy. A 10 pack for like $40 free shipping on that item ..I’ll have to find them again as I cleared my history I lost my carriage 😡I’ll post up link soon as I do ..best bang for the buck especially if u give them dedicated 3s battery they mooove air!
Here they are and they’re 22k rpm not 28k but 1amp! 12volt! Like I said best bang for the buck and they’re built solid ! Nice and thick frame ! No more fans dropping in the frame when bashing either ! Handz dowm best quality and performance I’ve seen and I have game changers and all the big name fan companies and imo these are just as good of not better than 90% of what’s out there for big $ cooling systems and between the fans,mounts and how u plan to wire it and power it it’s a fraction of the cost ….

Attachments

• F6A38580-AD22-4678-BC47-B11DD190CB92.png
    F6A38580-AD22-4678-BC47-B11DD190CB92.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Here they are and they’re 22k rpm not 28k but 1amp! 12volt! Like I said best bang for the buck and they’re built solid ! Nice and thick frame ! No more fans dropping in the frame when bashing either ! Handz dowm best quality and performance I’ve seen and I have game changers and all the big name fan companies and imo these are just as good of not better than 90% of what’s out there for big $ cooling systems and between the fans,mounts and how u plan to wire it and power it it’s a fraction of the cost ….
Here they are brother! Diff specs than the ones available on Amazon ..like big time ! Trust me u won’t regret the purchase and not that I’m a fan of Ali express but they have some cool motor guards/covers and mounts too and these are free shipping last time I checked ..lmk how u make out!
Here they are brother! Diff specs than the ones available on Amazon ..like big time ! Trust me u won’t regret the purchase and not that I’m a fan of Ali express but they have some cool motor guards/covers and mounts too and these are free shipping last time I checked ..lmk how u make out!
Get yourself some 2 or 3s balance lead adapters to js3 or whatever type of power lead u plan on ..there’s many options ..and a switch and your CHILLIN lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back