Typhon Dual motor street Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon TLR
Initial idea was short wheelbase chassis and 53/107 hoons that quickly escalated after finding Raz Shifrin's videos. Now that it's a roller I'll share the progress. I know the dual motors is unnecessary but I wanted to do it for the novelty and challenge. First motor and ESC get delivered today and I'll begin the layout of the left side electronics. Pictures of my TLR Typhon included for comparison.

Concept: dual motor short wheelbase street car with (mostly) all arrma parts and minimal modification.

High level parts list:
-Limitless roller
-EXB short wheelbase chassis
-Mojave arms
-Axles driveshafts and braces that are correct for the chassis and arms.
-EXB servo mount
-2x castle 1717 1650kv motors
-2x MMX8S controllers
-Perfect Pass servo
-Perfect Pass battery tray side skirts

The things that needed to be modified:
-chassis had to be drilled for the 3rd hole on the front motor mount
-spool cover brace had to get trimmed to fit over the front motor mount
-with 2 spur gears they each had to get cut down .035" and use protek 8x12 shims to space them off the outer bearing races. The spool shaft also needed new flats for the set screws
-the front chassis brace will most likely need to move to fit the motor and clearanced for the front driveshaft.
-the battery trays are meant for a limitless/infraction so they had to get cut down and redrilled for the SWB chassis length and bolt pattern.
-limitless body is hacked down to fit. Still needs some final work

PXL_20220812_171203370.jpg

PXL_20220812_171129443.jpg

PXL_20220812_171226361.jpg

PXL_20220812_172230418.jpg

PXL_20220812_172218504.jpg

I like this build a lot. Great job on it. I have a stretch I might consider using this body set up on, definitely very interesting. Have you considered going with the standard limitless front bumper or the stupidRc front wing?

Do you have any speed goals or limits?

I like this build a lot. Great job on it. I have a stretch I might consider using this body set up on, definitely very interesting. Have you considered going with the standard limitless front bumper or the stupidRc front wing?

Do you have any speed goals or limits?
The proportions weren't right with the limitless front wing and short wheelbase. Just the splitter looked ok but I've read people have had issues with lifting at speed. No speed goals as it sits. I just plan on gearing down and 3s to dabble in parking lot races they have near me and gear up and 6s to bash. If/when I do start chasing numbers I'll swap back to the limitless chassis and a gt body.

QUICK UPDATE:
After starting to fit the first motor/ESC I realized there wasn't enough room on the right side to fit the battery and ESC under the body. I'm going to have to center the spool/motor mounts on the chassis. 2nd motor and ESC get here Monday and I'll check final fitment and start drilling.

PXL_20220814_030909474.jpg

Sweet build! Dual motor builds seem so fun.

Love the creativity,I seen,an thought of some $hit,but never thought of using 2 stock mounts like this....I might have to copy your idea.sweet build..
With a second stage ya could mount escz down center,I've moved mounts around in chassis...problem I had was to much pressure on 1 of the 2 centershafts,shaft either to tight between spool and input cup on diff,or to loose..I removed chassis braces an just ran adjustable upper t2t brace,then adjusted brace for ideal pressure on c-shafts.i did all this to try an eliminate the awkward center diveline angles for less vibrations,more speed..if interested I could dig up what exactly I did in an old thread on it all from last year.might help ya,or give ya some ideas....

Last edited:
Imagine staking two of those for 4 motors then adding another stack the opposite way with another 4 motors so you could run 8 motors on 64s 😂 it would be a battery on wheels 😆
Well, it's not for a lack of effort... :LOL:
1660912403092.png

Might be worth considering one of these. They're only $50.
View attachment 237320
This or the pps mount were what I was initially thinking but they look pretty wide to fit big pinons and I knew I needed to keep it narrow if I'd have any chance of fitting everything under the body.

This or the pps mount were what I was initially thinking but they look pretty wide to fit big pinons and I knew I needed to keep it narrow if I'd have any chance of fitting everything under the body.
Isn't that what these are for? :LOL:
1661740967345.png

Got the driveline centered and rear brace moved. ESC trays in. I had to wait on a hot racing diff cover. The stock cover was flexing and didn't hold the mounts straight enough to transfer the holes. Once everything was rigid I realized the bearing groove spacing with 2 motor mounts was narrower than with the front plastic brace. I ground off the front nub that sits in the bearing block and drilled out the hole. Also changed my mind on the servo and got a protek 170sbl. Pretty much just wiring at this point and it'll be time to play.

PXL_20220828_044353081.jpg

PXL_20220828_044442796.jpg

PXL_20220829_023736614.jpg

Got the driveline centered and rear brace moved. ESC trays in. I had to wait on a hot racing diff cover. The stock cover was flexing and didn't hold the mounts straight enough to transfer the holes. Once everything was rigid I realized the bearing groove spacing with 2 motor mounts was narrower than with the front plastic brace. I ground off the front nub that sits in the bearing block and drilled out the hole. Also changed my mind on the servo and got a protek 170sbl. Pretty much just wiring at this point and it'll be time to play.

View attachment 239776

View attachment 239777

View attachment 239779
Woo lad, lookin' good!! (y)

All done except for the body needs some notches to fit around the batteries. Might ditch the receiver box bc it's too wide also. Also forgot to mention I'm using a noble pro and one of the receivers that came with it. Took it out for it's first shakedown rips today and it's stupid fast on 4s and 27/34 gearing. Barely had space to open it up on my street. Next up is motor fans and playing with the esc and transmitter throttle and power settings to dial in the driveability.

PXL_20220903_220647402.jpg

PXL_20220903_220717095.jpg

Not sure how I missed this build thread last year, I’m glad it was in ROTM. Thing looks mean, man! I love the cut down Lim body a lot. Looks great in black, totally bad ass, dude. Awesome build!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back