Kraton Dumb esc/servo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheez

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Nero
  4. Senton 3s
I bought the BLX185 combo back in July along with the Arrma 15s servo. I decided to put the BLX185 in my Kraton and use a hitec 7950th high voltage servo. The hitec won’t work with the 185 will it? Right now I have a POS 15s and a high end hitec dilemma. The 185 isn’t programable is it? Sorry for the dumb question ?

I bought the BLX185 combo back in July along with the Arrma 15s servo. I decided to put the BLX185 in my Kraton and use a hitec 7950th high voltage servo. The hitec won’t work with the 185 will it? Right now I have a POS 15s and a high end hitec dilemma. The 185 isn’t programable is it? Sorry for the dumb question ?
No the BLX185 is not adjustable.

The only Dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. (y)
The 7950Th runs at 6 volts-7.4 no issue according to its specs.
This servo deosnt appear to be a power hog at its spec'ed idle volts.
It doesn't list stall torque though. NO problem...
The BLX185 provides 6v at 3Amps. No problem. This servos appears to be alot of servo there. Programmable and all with a servo programmer. You don't need to however, but has that option.
At 6V /3amp BEC (ESC power) this servo will give you .17 ms speeds/29kg/403inch oz of torque. Plenty for your rig.
At 7.4v it will give you .14ms speed/35kg/486inch oz. You don't have 7.4v as an option. Thats fine. The difference is minimal.
Install and enjoy. I don't see any issue running as is.
The analogue ADs15 servo served its purpose leave it on the shelf. You have a real servo now.
Good luck :cool:

The only Dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. (y)
The 7950Th runs at 6 volts-7.4 no issue according to its specs.
This servo deosnt appear to be a power hog at its spec'ed idle volts.
It doesn't list stall torque though. NO problem...
The BLX185 provides 6v at 3Amps. No problem. This servos appears to be alot of servo there. Programmable and all with a servo programmer. You don't need to however, but has that option.
At 6V /3amp BEC (ESC power) this servo will give you .17 ms speeds/29kg/403inch oz of torque. Plenty for your rig.
At 7.4v it will give you .14ms speed/35kg/486inch oz. You don't have 7.4v as an option. Thats fine. The difference is minimal.
Install and enjoy. I don't see any issue running as is.
The analogue ADs15 servo served its purpose leave it on the shelf. You have a real servo now.
Good luck :cool:
I lists the amps on hitec's site: https://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/ultra-premium-digital-servos/hs-7950th/product

Operating Voltage Range (Volts DC)
6.0V ~ 7.4V​
Speed (Second @ 60°)
0.17 ~ 0.14​
Maximum Torque Range oz. / in.
403 ~ 486​
Maximum Torque Range kg. / cm.
29.0 ~ 35.0​
Current Draw at Idle
10 mA​
No Load Operating Current Draw
440 mA​
Stall Current Draw
9,000 mA
Dead Band Width
2 µs​

9 amps. Guessing that's at 7.4V though, usually less at 6V. Still, odds are it's more than the stock esc can put up with for very long.

The reason I mention stall amps is because, that's what usually kills a cheap servo. Like the ADS15 for instance. Under spec'd for its application. Out the box in the RTR's, is on borrowed time unfortunately. Some get lucky and run them for quite a while before frying them. But lets face it, in a 6S rig is so slow and weak. It is heavily taxed.
The BLX 185 is 6v with 3amps sustained. But will handle brief loads of 12 amps max. according to its specs. A good amount of overhead for a stock ESC. Better than many other stock ESC brands out there.:cool:

The reason I mention stall amps is because, that's what usually kills a cheap servo. Like the ADS15 for instance. Under spec'd for its application. Out the box in the RTR's, is on borrowed time unfortunately. Some get lucky and run them for quite a while before frying them. But lets face it, in a 6S rig is so slow and weak. It is heavily taxed.
The BLX 185 is 6v with 3amps sustained. But will handle brief loads of 12 amps max. according to its specs. A good amount of overhead for a stock ESC. Better than many other stock ESC brands out there.:cool:
First of all happy thanksgiving ? to everyone and their friends and family. Second, thanks for the replies. Just to be clear.....A high end esc will fry a cheap servo and a high end servo will fry a cheap low end esc?

High voltage servos do not necessarily need to be run on high voltage
They’re just capable of running higher voltage and the ratings are based on hv but you can still run it on 6v

just with less performance

Back