Dumb question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

Anything will break if you drive it wrong enough.
Community Leader
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Typhon 3s
I just want to make sure I'm not going to burn my house down, is it safe to use the balance leads off the paraboard and the separate pigtail for the XT60s?
aNCQLGbl.jpg

NO! You can not plug 2 batteries into the same channel. The charger won't see all of the cells. I don't think that's safe at all.

NO! You can not plug 2 batteries into the same channel. The charger won't see all of the cells. I don't think that's safe at all.
Yes you can, look up parallel charging, hence the parallel charge board and parallel charge lead. The charger detects the voltage and cell count through the balance lead not through the charge lead so the charger would just see those 2 1700mah batteries as 1 3400mah battery.

I just don't know if it is safe to bypass the charge leads on the paraboard.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to parallel charge that way. That balance board is essentially doing what a parallel lead does.

Nevermind the clutter, but here is my normal charging setup with a 2 channel charger. Both channels charging 2s at 30 amps and I'm up and running in no time.
20171022_140942.jpg

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to parallel charge that way. That balance board is essentially doing what a parallel lead does.

Nevermind the clutter, but here is my normal charging setup with a 2 channel charger. Both channels charging 2s at 30 amps and I'm up and running in no time.
View attachment 21524
Where did you get those balance leads? These them? https://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-balance-adapter.html

$3.50 to ship a $5 item.............

Last edited:
Where did you get those balance leads? These them? https://www.progressiverc.com/parallel-6x-balance-adapter.html

$3.50 to ship a $5 item.............
Yes sir. Those are it. My order was either enough to qualify for free shipping or it was high enough that I didn't notice the shipping charge. I can't remember exactly. I desoldered one of the connectors plugging the balance leads in first though. Oops. I put a new plug on it and now I'm good to go again.

Yes sir. Those are it. My order was either enough to qualify for free shipping or it was high enough that I didn't notice the shipping charge. I can't remember exactly. I desoldered one of the connectors plugging the balance leads in first though. Oops. I put a new plug on it and now I'm good to go again.
Oh yeah always plug in the charge leads first.

Oh yeah always plug in the charge leads first.
Yeah I can't remember if I did it in the wrong order or if I didn't wait long enough to plug in the balance leads to let the batteries equalize or what. But I plugged in the balance and it instantly got hot and unsoldered and hurt my finger LOL.

Holy hell that's a lot of batteries!
I love the fact that I can do this twice from storage charge in an hour and have twenty four 2s packs , or in series twelve 4s packs ready to go. Then I can go out and run for awhile.:)

View attachment 21524
That is the craziest thing I’ve seen. I can’t believe you can actually do that. That is way beyond my knowledge good for you

View attachment 21524
would you mind sharing which DC power supply you are using? I have been looking into getting one. Thanks

Wait, that is almost 3700w per channel?

6 batteries * 5000mah = 30ah
30ah*30a(charge rate) * 4.1v = 3690watts

What am I missing?
I'm charging these at 2s (8.4 volts) at 30 amps. 8.4 volts x 30 amps = 252 watts. It's basically seeing one, 30,000mah 2s battery.

That would be insane to charge at 3,700 watts per channel! I feel like driving my rc car in 1.3 seconds but my batteries are dead. DONE. LOL

@Snoprosledneck88 Here is the power supply that I am using. It won't fully power my 1,400 watt charger, but it is enough for my needs currently.
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459

Wait, that is almost 3700w per channel?

6 batteries * 5000mah = 30ah
30ah*30a(charge rate) * 4.1v = 3690watts

What am I missing?
Yeah, I don't how that works either. I thought chargers either hit the max amp limit or the max watt limit. I haven't had enough cell count/mah size on a single pack to push my chargers beyond either limit, so I'm kind of curious too.

I think that charger maxes out at 30A or 700w for each port.

I thought chargers either hit the max amp limit or the max watt limit.
That is how chargers work, but I am only charging at 252 watts, which is well under the 700 watt limit. I am at the maximum, 30 amps though as that is all the amps that my charger can produce.

I'm charging these at 2s (8.4 volts) at 30 amps. 8.4 volts x 30 amps = 252 watts. It's basically seeing one, 30,000mah 2s battery.

That would be insane to charge at 3,700 watts per channel! I feel like driving my rc car in 1.3 seconds but my batteries are dead. DONE. LOL

@Snoprosledneck88 Here is the power supply that I am using. It won't fully power my 1,400 watt charger, but it is enough for my needs currently.
https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459
I wonder if you can safely wire those in parallel and/or series to get more V or more A into one output for a big charger. I know the higher output chargers, especially the multi-port ones don't put out their max unless the voltage is 18+. Then I don't fully understand if you have to have more amps at the higher V going into the charger than what it's putting in the packs. They don't specify that kind of stuff in the manuals very well.

Like the turnigy 4x reaktor:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turbo-c...ous-balance-charger-discharger-version-2.html

The manual says that to get the max watts out of that, you have to use 18V+ input, so I'm guessing if you wire 2 of those PSU's in series, you will have enough V and just enough A to do that. I'm assuming to get 80A out (4x20A), you have to have at least 80A going in, probably more for safety purposes.

I wonder if you can safely wire those in parallel and/or series to get more V or more A into one output for a big charger. I know the higher output chargers, especially the multi-port ones don't put out their max unless the voltage is 18+. Then I don't fully understand if you have to have more amps at the higher V going into the charger than what it's putting in the packs. They don't specify that kind of stuff in the manuals very well.

Like the turnigy 4x reaktor:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turbo-c...ous-balance-charger-discharger-version-2.html

The manual says that to get the max watts out of that, you have to use 18V+ input, so I'm guessing if you wire 2 of those PSU's in series, you will have enough V and just enough A to do that. I'm assuming to get 80A out (4x20A), you have to have at least 80A going in, probably more for safety purposes.
I remember reading somewhere that you couldn't wire these in parallel or series to increase voltage or amperage, but I cannot confirm that you can or cannot do it. If you are able to wire them in series you would have a 24 volt, 85 amp, 2050 watt power supply. The amps from the power supply to the packs do not directly correlate. You need to convert the amps from the power supply to watts, then convert the watts back to the amperage of the packs.

Example:
Power supply 12 volts x 85 amps = 1,020 watts going into the charger.
Those same 1,020 watts will charge a 6s battery at 40.47 amps, assuming your charger can charge at that high of amperage. 1,020 watts / 25.2 volts (6 cells x 4.2 volts per cell = 25.2 volts) = 40.47 amps.

Like you, I also know that with the high powered chargers that you need 18+ volts to get the full power. That is actually one of the main reasons that I got this Hitec X2 700 charger. It can provide the full 1,400 watts and 30 amps at 12 volts, assuming you can find a 120 amp 12 volt power supply.

Oh, OK I see my error now. Watt-hours does not matter to charge wattage. Basically you are charging at 1c.
:facepalm:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back