Kraton Dumpster Fire or a Diamond in the rough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the chassis straight?

It appears to be.

Looks like a good find and I assume it was very cheap.
Worst case scenario get the parts you need or a complete screw kit from Jenny's RC (y)

Thank you.

He didn't give it to me for free..
but I got it cheap.

I will be ordering some parts from Jenny's for sure.

He obviously disassembled it ,BUT there's Absolutely no indication of his attempt to clean Anything on the rig.... And looking at the thick layer of dust on the remote, it's been sitting around for some time now.

He gave some lame excuse of "...Not able to get much parts at HobbyTown... and that I've changed focused onto crawlers.."
I think he's a bit spoiled (that's the vibe I got) and had his jollies with bashing the snot out of this toy until it broke into pieces..
Perhaps he just didn't want to get his soft hands dirty.. IDK

I haven't had the chance to clean it yet..
The frontend is wrecked and I haven't taken apart any of the diffs.

Will do a thorough cleaning & inspection this weekend.
If your intuition is right about him being perhaps spoiled, enjoy the restoration with stock parts from Jenny's, then sell it back to him for a huge profit, unless you want to keep it of course. Just a thought.

Nice score!! TBH, aside from neglected, it doesn't look like it's had that much use? Either way, everything is replaceable/upgradable. Look forward to seeing what ya do with it. Congrats!!

Oh it's been Used and ABUSED alright..
Since it's a RTR , there's no purpose to take it apart and leave it in that condition ,honestly.

So, it's in pieces like that for a reason.. it's been wreck! 😁
A quick visual look shows-
The screws & hinge pins sheared off, pin retainers cracked or gone, Ackerman bar bent, frontend bulkhead cracked, all the bearings look crusty... There's more I'm sure, but can't see thru the dirt.

I'll get it cleaned up and back to factory stock levels and driving again.. soon enough.
Then decide what upgrades might be added afterwards.

Oh it's been Used and ABUSED alright..
Since it's a RTR , there's no purpose to take it apart and leave it in that condition ,honestly.

So, it's in pieces like that for a reason.. it's been wreck! 😁
A quick visual look shows-
The screws & hinge pins sheared off, pin retainers cracked or gone, Ackerman bar bent, frontend bulkhead cracked, all the bearings look crusty... There's more I'm sure, but can't see thru the dirt.

I'll get it cleaned up and back to factory stock levels and driving again.. soon enough.
Then decide what upgrades might be added afterwards.
JRC for the win!! Yeah, hard to really tell from pics what all is going on. Sounds like a nice winter project anyways?

Every car I tried it in it just had so much delay, even in a brushed rc with a Hobbywing esc.
+1
Got several STX2's here collecting dust. I gave one away free and the guy returned it. :ROFLMAO:Thought he was hurting my feelings by returning it. He needed a radio for his old Traxass Nitro rig and didn't want to spend the Coin. So I gave it to him.
Imagine that, I couldn't even give it away for free.:rolleyes: It's that bad of a radio. He isn't even that much into RC's and he still knew it was working like garbage. He said his Traxass radio was better. Just that it had old AA batteries in it for many years, that leaked and ruined his. His radio was the old school vintage AM freq. with the Telescopic Radio antenna! I figured even the STX2 would be better. I was wrong. :giggle: He ended up using the Traxxas Upgrade program to get a new replacement Radio for less $$.
It appears to be.

Thank you.

He didn't give it to me for free..
but I got it cheap.

I will be ordering some parts from Jenny's for sure.
You made a good score.
You know what you got there. (y)
That is a V4.

This is a V1.

View attachment 267374
Yeah , The V4 was the first to get a Legit Stocker T2T brace. (y)
Looks like it was barely used. Just Sent very hard what few times it was actually used. ;) Again, nice score.

Last edited:
+1
Got several STX2's here collecting dust. I gave one away free and the guy returned it. :ROFLMAO:Thought he was hurting my feelings by returning it. He needed a radio for his old Traxass Nitro rig and didn't want to spend the Coin. So I gave it to him.
Imagine that, I couldn't even give it away for free.:rolleyes: It's that bad of a radio. He isn't even that much into RC's and he still knew it was working like garbage. He said his Traxass radio was better. Just that it had old AA batteries in it for many years, that leaked and ruined his. His radio was the old school vintage AM freq. with the Telescopic Radio antenna! I figured even the STX2 would be better. I was wrong. :giggle: He ended up using the Traxxas Upgrade program to get a new replacement Radio for less $$.

You made a good score.
You know what you got there. (y)

Yeah , The V4 was the first to get a Legit Stocker T2T brace. (y)
Looks like it was barely used. Just Sent very hard what few times it was actually used. ;) Again, nice score.
Lol I still have one of those AM Traxxas radios and I can assure you it does work better.

+1
So he tried it with a nitro car. Destroys the theory I had that the esc's that doesn't have separate bec wires causing interference in some way.
Seems like I am the only one that got a STX2 working ok. I must having magic fingers or something :D:cool:

So he tried it with a nitro car. Destroys the theory I had that the esc's that doesn't have separate bec wires causing interference in some way.
Seems like I am the only one that got a STX2 working ok. I must having magic fingers or something :D:cool:
Every once and a while I would see someone post that theirs worked fine.

I know I'm SLOW as molasses with my own projects..

Looks like the kid actually did keep all the bits & parts in the Ziploc bags ,as far as I can tell.
Hooked up a battery to see what's working in it's current state.
Seems like all the electrical and transmission are working properly still..
The only small issue is the ESC's fan is not spinning..

IMG_20230217_081003620.jpg

Just going to do the Bare minimum to get it back to running condition..
I see some hinge pins that are jacked & along with the Ackerman bar that's bent... Will need to hammer those back into shape..
Not even going to check/mess with the diff fluids or shock oil at the moment.

Only New item(s) that I've gotten so far -
A spare diff casing from the LHS to switch out the front one that's cracked..

Probably will need to 3D print some parts-
Body posts, Shock bushings and Mudguards...
We'll see.

Every once and a while I would see someone post that theirs worked fine.
All I can say is that if you have several upgrade radios or even some decent RTR's to compare with, you will quickly find that STX2 so latent in control. Will feel lazy and disconnected in a best case scenario. Range/interference is horrible, a given.

Edit:
I saw one YT video ( Earl Moorehead) was bashing with his daughter and both using 2 STX2's and one would interfere with the other. He had to stop his daughter from driving hers to finish his video.

Last edited:
All I can say is that if you have several upgrade radios or even some decent RTR's to compare with, you will quickly find that STX2 so latent in control. Will feel lazy and disconnected in a best case scenario. Range/interference is horrible, a given.

Edit:
I saw one YT video ( Earl Moorehead) was bashing with his daughter and both using 2 STX2's and one would interfere with the other. He had to stop his daughter from driving hers to finish his video.
Yup for the most part they were crap, Horizon knew that it was crap before they ever included it with the Arrma vehicles..

You have to wonder, were they rubbish because of a manufacturing problem or by design... I am surprised they even left the factory.

You have to wonder, were they rubbish because of a manufacturing problem or by design... I am surprised they even left the factory.

You better believe they knew!
Just like the Apple iPhone 4's and MacBook Air's... True Dumpster Fires rolling off the assembly line.

Most RTR radios, with a few exceptions, are designed to meet minimum specs and keep a RTR vehicle at a certain price point. At least the Vendetta, Infraction 3s, and Vorteks come with a Spektrum DX3 radio system, which is a step up from the radios used in many other Arrma RTR vehicles.

Back