Kraton Dumpster Fire or a Diamond in the rough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why grease on whete the bearings sit specially the rear i can already imagine ur whole gearbox being covered with dirt from the outside
I was assuming that he was going be running it in a wet area.

Why grease on whete the bearings sit specially the rear i can already imagine ur whole gearbox being covered with dirt from the outside

I'm not sure what you mean..
All the grease I applied are on the interior of the diff case.

I was so pissed that my son would break his Kraton 6s v4 everytime we used it.. but now after seeing what this kid did, i'm going to go hug him for being so careful with it.

It's all about the proper perspective of things.. ;)

I'm putting in the time on its rehab.
This Dumpster Fire may turn out to be a Diamond in the end.. Just need to decide what name to give it...

It's all about the proper perspective of things.. ;)

I'm putting in the time on its rehab.
This Dumpster Fire may turn out to be a Diamond in the end.. Just need to decide what name to give it...
do you have a running budget for it?

i remember for me, coming into RC cars during COVID. i was like... oo this looks like a cool $500 hobby, quickly turned into $1300 for a stock car + upgraded servo and $30 radio. Then i have another $1000+ into a Mojave EXB, which nothing except the body mount has broke on, but just isn't as fun as Kraton.

So i just wanted to validate, that you got a steal.

The pace of outlays really pissed me off, but since then i've cooled off and learn to enjoy the process of running, breaking, rebuilding.
this summer we'll move the Kraton over to M2C, and do a full teardown/rebuild.

I documented my journey here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...oss-the-v4-kraton-6s-rip-pos-money-pit.31285/
(warning: i was mostly triggering, and have grown in the hobby since and my mentally has changed)

in hindsight, i wish i got the EXB right off the bat, but... i wouldn't have known how to build one without the RTR.

(okay not going to lie.. revisiting the $1300-$1500 i'm into a stock Kraton 6s still upsets me...)

:)

do you have a running budget for it?

i remember for me, coming into RC cars during COVID. i was like... oo this looks like a cool $500 hobby, quickly turned into $1300 for a stock car + upgraded servo and $30 radio. Then i have another $1000+ into a Mojave EXB, which nothing except the body mount has broke on, but just isn't as fun as Kraton.

So i just wanted to validate, that you got a steal.

The pace of outlays really pissed me off, but since then i've cooled off and learn to enjoy the process of running, breaking, rebuilding.
this summer we'll move the Kraton over to M2C, and do a full teardown/rebuild.

I documented my journey here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...oss-the-v4-kraton-6s-rip-pos-money-pit.31285/
(warning: i was mostly triggering, and have grown in the hobby since and my mentally has changed)

in hindsight, i wish i got the EXB right off the bat, but... i wouldn't have known how to build one without the RTR.

(okay not going to lie.. revisiting the $1300-$1500 i'm into a stock Kraton 6s still upsets me...)

:)

So here's what I have so far , Raw ingredients -from a Box of parts to getting the front end re-assembled on the chassis

$125 Pre-Owned Kraton 6S v4 (from said 16 yr old)
$12 (New) Diff Casing - SKU: ARA310854
$18 Bag of screws - JennysRC
Loctite (Already have)
WD-40 Dry Lube Spray (Already have)
Simple Green (Already have)

+ a couple of 3D printed bits.
$30 (Mostly of my own designs)

Total $185 so far ,give or take..

I know that @DLK83 is generously donating some parts that I can't beat back into shape with a hammer.

Last edited:
Total $185 so far ,give or take..
I feel like i should throw my credit card away, and come ask you to validate all my purchases since i am a complete idiot.

If there a $4 to fix, i'll find a way to put $800 into upgrades into it. Almost like how they sold $1000 body rust protection on the fiberglass body of the corvettes of the past.

Last edited:
I feel like i should throw my credit card away, and come ask you to validate all my purchases since i am a complete idiot.

If there a $4 to fix, i'll find a way to put $800 into upgrades into it. Almost like how they sold $1000 body rust protection on the fiberglass body of the corvettes of the past.

Thanks Daddy

Sir.
You shouldn't feel Bad at all...

Because years ago (Before I met my wife) I would go into a Computer/Electronics store(s) for some cables or what not...
Come out with TWO of each > Lastest motherboards ,CPUs, heatsinks, Fans, videocards, RAM, Harddrives, computer cases etc. etc.
Because "just in case one of them goes down and I can't find the exact replacement for it no more..."
That fear -of how am I going to fix MY equipments without the proper (same) parts!?"

My old house was literally a Mini Fry's Electronics with boxes of computer gear still sealed from years ago stacked up everywhere.
I was an Ultra Nerd.

I more than likely wasted $15,000+ on computer Stuffs that weren't even ever put to use...
So yeah..

Don't feel bad.

Live & Learn.
There's still time.

Plus, Yes we are all here to help.
If you need sound purchasing advise on your future RC parts & gear, feel free to ask. 👍

Trying to bend back the arm of the driver side steering bracket..

1678034284932.png

That had been warped by the severely bent Ackerman bar...
1678034168906.png

After hammering the Ackerman bar back into Flat shape..

Using a hair dryer to 'soften' that arm and carefully formed/bent it back into square..
IMG_20230305_102640212.jpg

IMG_20230305_102642502.jpg

IMG_20230305_102757500.jpg

IMG_20230305_102738091.jpg

Looks to be back to even.

And while I'm at it..
Decided to add two snap rings to the servo saver spring.
IMG_20230305_102830252_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_102810248_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_102836785_HDR.jpg

Just to firm it up a bit.

I'm currently waiting on some ball bearings to arrive ,to replace the bushings that was there.

Removed the 185A ESC casing to get to the stock fan.. it's probably rusted on the inside.. Very difficult to spin even by hand.
IMG_20230305_102917051_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_102906525_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_102902397_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230305_102857890_HDR.jpg

Looks like there's no bulkheads for the screws to mount into.. Just screws in between the available fins of the heatsink...
Lame.

Removed the 185A ESC casing to get to the stock fan.. it's probably rusted on the inside.. Very difficult to spin even by hand.
View attachment 283215

View attachment 283216

View attachment 283217

View attachment 283218

Looks like there's no bulkheads for the screws to mount into.. Just screws in between the available fins of the heatsink...
Lame.
I thought that was sad too, lost a screw and only way I have been able to find that wierd size is to buy a new stock fan. By the way, you would be surprised what a little oil will do, pull that back sticker off and add a drop! Painters tape to replace the sticker works well.

Good news, BLX185 is an awesome esc!!

I Literally picked up this box of parts from a 16yr old...

View attachment 267336

i'm going to be completely honest. I keep coming back to this post and smile when i see this box of smash, and wonder......

can i do better....

Future Article:
Man arrested for throwing his Kraton 6s off the Empire State Building to top Tex Koder.

i'm going to be completely honest. I keep coming back to this post and smile when i see this box of smash, and wonder......

can i do better....

Future Article:
Man arrested for throwing his Kraton 6s off the Empire State Building to top Tex Koder.

Gauntlet GIFs | Tenor

Back