Durability - What's been the best for you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbjtx81

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Vorteks
I had a similar post on here previously about losing interest in your lower end cars. I'm still fairly new to the hobby and learning lots. How to drive how to wrench, etc. But I really think I'm done with most of my 3s and 4s line up and don't really see going back that direction again. I literally break something just about every time I drive my DHK maximus, Big Rock or Vorteks.

My Arrma 6's line up along with my maxx and xmaxx have been so much more durable. I can beat the hell out of them and they just keep working. Tree at 30 mph, lawn dart, death rolls, horrible landings in general. I go flip them over and...bam...they keep going. The durability even when driven with more gentleness and caution just isn't there with the other cars.

Even my $250 used Kaiju has been more durable than the other 3 and 4s (exception maxx) cars.

What have been the most dependable hardest to break cars you have owned? Ive been really impressed with my traxxas maxxx and xmaxx and my 6s Kraton and Outcast EXB and even my Kaiju. Haven't had the opportunity to own and Arrma 8s yet.

Heres my durability ranking -
Xmaxx - 9
Maxx Kraton Outcast - 8
Kaiju - 6.5 to 7

For bashing, The Notorious. SWB that it is, never bent or twisted the chassis.
For overall durability parts wise, fit. finish and quality, my Tekno MT 410.
The Mojave probably comes in this 3rd for bashing. But I don't send the Mojave like I do with my Kraton. Kraton LWB that easily bends and twists.
It all depends how you bash. Many have luck with the 4x4 line. Many don't. I don't own any 4x4 Arrma rigs. I have no interest in the smaller plastic stuff. The 6s platform is where am. I feel the 4x4 line is a less expensive initial purchase, transitional product to the 6s line. One is not the other.
It is logical to move up to 6s at some point. Staying with the 4x4 line only, and it can get stupid expensive. The 6s line is mature and has great aftermarket support. Much better than the 4x4 line in this regard. As of late there are upgrades seen by M2c HR and others, just that they are almost the same in $$$ if not more$$$. Makes no sense to me. Just me. Many do love the 4x4 line.:unsure:

If you make your lower-end cars have way more power than needed, it really makes them fun, I put a 3s lipo in my Slash 2wd and it’s a whole different beast now.

Funny as I find my 3s rigs slightly more reliable than the 6s. Especially the senton.

M2C anything
Can't say too much positive about Arrma raw but for what they are advertised to do they are durable, just not for what we want them to do.
Talion/M2C is the most reliable for myself.
Infraction is tough as well, but anything will give at 60+mph while hitting something.

Last edited:
Nothing comes close to my MBX6R. Wish I still had it.. Also wish people didn't become lazy with plug and play, understood how to TUNE Nitro and had many tracks near me..
Nitro is/was cool, but I for one am really glad brushless motors and LiPo’s came up and became what it is today. Honestly, the only things I really miss about nitro was the extended run time, the smell, and the sound. Maybe electric is lazy to you, but the enjoyment level is higher for me, and I still have many areas to tune and lots of wrenching to do. So I guess I don’t really agree about the lazy part. I’m glad I moved to electric.
If you make your lower-end cars have way more power than needed, it really makes them fun, I put a 3s lipo in my Slash 2wd and it’s a whole different beast now.
I agree, but I broke stuff constantly. Shredded diff gears, broke axles, broke tranny’s, stock Slash clutch sucks, etc. etc. I have a little more torque than the VXL in both of my 2wd Slash’s, and I now mostly have them sorted but spent a ridiculous amount of money making them reliable. But boy are you right, it’s a totally different beast and if you can drive one really well on 3s you can probably drive anything!

Last edited:
Nitro is/was cool, but I for one am really glad brushless motors and LiPo’s came up and became what it is today. Honestly, the only things I really miss about nitro was the extended run time, the smell, and the sound. Maybe electric is lazy to you, but the enjoyment level is higher for me, and I still have many areas to tune and lots of wrenching to do. So I guess I don’t really agree about the lazy part. I’m glad I moved to electric.

Nothing in the world for me at least in RC is better than bumping a perfectly tuned OS speed, having that low gurgle idle, dropping it on the track and stabbing the throttle.. I own and have owned many electric. Lazy mans RC IMO. Agree to disagree. ;)

I loved my old Mugen so much I had to go find my old lid. My racing colors never got sold with anything I sold. I used to paint them all myself too. This MBX6R lid happens to be the last one I painted in race. My version of CF in the rear. That was a female dog!

IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg

^^^
I did some faux CF myself. It is pain staking. I used mesh/tool box shelf liner. (Black/Grey)
I tried my luck at peel effect. Popular back in the Early 2000's if I remember. Did my TC bodies.
Nice race lid.(y)

Nothing in the world for me at least in RC is better than bumping a perfectly tuned OS speed, having that low gurgle idle, dropping it on the track and stabbing the throttle.. I own and have owned many electric. Lazy mans RC IMO. Agree to disagree. ;)

I loved my old Mugen so much I had to go find my old lid. My racing colors never got sold with anything I sold. I used to paint them all myself too. This MBX6R lid happens to be the last one I painted in race. My version of CF in the rear. That was a female dog!

View attachment 173037View attachment 173036
Great job on the paint!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back