Duratrax 6Pak tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious 6s basher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Will the Duratrax 6 pak tires run ok on notorious 6s?
127847F6-C00E-4985-982D-4AB5A53FB1A3.jpeg

A4567107-A86E-4E63-8B49-D745BE12B4F1.jpeg

Talked to my guy at the hobby shop he said there would be no problem. got snow here cannot try them out yet.
Roger that. LHS guys that are selling you the tires saying there will be no problem should be a red flag. Anything you add rotating mass weight to, you'll have to watch your temps by gearing properly. Otherwise, why would you be in here asking if they will work right? ;)

I ring them on my O8S and no problem but looks there like steering will be a problem but hey just me just go out and see

If all you want to do is go straight, you are all set! :LOL:

In all seriousness, watch your tires rubbing anything and set your endpoints accordingly...if you really wanna run those.
They look like they will handle exceptionally bad.

Sorry new here! Have not had an RC car for about 20 years now I had a old T-max and E-Max! Decided to get back in and try the notorious. It’s sounds like I should stick to The stock tires before going out.

You can probably run those tires if it will turn BUT you will have to gear it accordingly. You will need to go DOWN in tooth count on your pinion. How many teeth is going to be up to you based on speeds and what your temps read. If it were mine, I'd gear it down 4-5 teeth with those tires and start there. You will most likely need to experiment with a bunch of pinions.

You can probably run those tires if it will turn BUT you will have to gear it accordingly. You will need to go DOWN in tooth count on your pinion. How many teeth is going to be up to you based on speeds and what your temps read. If it were mine, I'd gear it down 4-5 teeth with those tires and start there. You will most likely need to experiment with a bunch of pinions.

Welcome, @Notorious 6s basher ! I'm new here too, but this is a great forum!

All things equal (for instance, ignoring the weight differences of the new wheels) you should be able to measure the diameter of the stock tires, and these new tires. The difference of that ratio will help guide how many teeth you'd want on your new pinion. You'd want to adjust your motor pinion gear size (# of teeth) by that same ratio.

Let's say the new tires were 1.25 times the diameter of the stock tires. Say 5" (new) vs 4" diameter (stock). 5/4 = 1.25 , so this is your new tire's effective gearing change.

If your stock motor pinion was 15 teeth, then you'd want to go something more like 15/1.25 = 12 teeth, to match the effective gearing of the stock setup. This would keep approximately the same top-speed, etc.

Welcome, @Notorious 6s basher ! I'm new here too, but this is a great forum!

All things equal (for instance, ignoring the weight differences of the new wheels) you should be able to measure the diameter of the stock tires, and these new tires. The difference of that ratio will help guide how many teeth you'd want on your new pinion. You'd want to adjust your motor pinion gear size (# of teeth) by that same ratio.

Let's say the new tires were 1.25 times the diameter of the stock tires. Say 5" (new) vs 4" diameter (stock). 5/4 = 1.25 , so this is your new tire's effective gearing change.

If your stock motor pinion was 15 teeth, then you'd want to go something more like 15/1.25 = 12 teeth, to match the effective gearing of the stock setup. This would keep approximately the same top-speed, etc.
You still have to factor in weight. Even gearing it down to achieve the same top speeds as stock, that motor and ESC will be begging for him to hit a puddle. Don't forget Tire ballooning that acts just like more pinion that will shoot those temps up with the quickness.

As others have said, those big tires may not jive well with the stock power system. You’ll have to gear lower than stock speed to account for the extra weight.

Or jump into the deep end and buy a better ESC/motor.

You still have to factor in weight. Even gearing it down to achieve the same top speeds as stock, that motor and ESC will be begging for him to hit a puddle. Don't forget Tire ballooning that acts just like more pinion that will shoot those temps up with the quickness.

Agreed, that makes sense, thanks. But this would at least give a starting point, if the diameter changed. If the simple math suggested 12, maybe you go to 11 or something. But it seems like it at least gives a starting point, vs just kind of guessing and picking a number of pinion teeth arbitrarily.

I just got belted street tires for my truck. They're basically the same diameter (tiny bit smaller), but heavier. However, being belted, they also don't balloon. I'm hoping that, at least at speed, this may help kind of offset some of the added weight. It will reduce the actual top speed/effective-gearing, vs the ballooned-out stock tires. I guess I'll need to keep an eye on temperatures.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back