Granite Duratrax lockup inner wheel hub broken

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodandBread

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello. This is my first post here and just wanted to say how great this forum is and how helpful it has been for me. I've come across a problem though for my Granite that i cannot find an answer on how to fix (if possible). I was doing a few jumps and racing around the yard yesterday, and one of the rear tires came off the truck. Upon closer inspection the inner plastic wheel hub had snapped off. So now there is a hole that is too large for the wheel nut to secure the tire. I just purchased these Duratrax lockups about two weeks ago from my lhs. So i'm not sure if there is a way to fix the inner wheel or should I try to contact Duratrax for a warranty issue? Thank you in advance!

20200908_070039.jpg

20200908_070122.jpg

20200908_070131.jpg

20200908_070142.jpg

20200908_070237.jpg

20200908_070323.jpg

20200908_070039.jpg

Sorry about that....

I would work it from both ends... get with your LHS...and call Duratrax... How tight do you lockdown on the nuts.... I use these since their a bit wider and more bit: Flanged and serrated nuts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CN7HX8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the 14mm hex duratrax wheels also. I found that I cannot use a wrench/rachet tool to tighten because I can overtighten and eat into the plastic too much. I used a small hand tool and better nuts that will not allow me to grip enough to overtighten and with the green or red nuts have more bit over the OEM silver...no issues so far

IMG_20200908_114502.jpg
IMG_20200908_114507.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. This is my first post here and just wanted to say how great this forum is and how helpful it has been for me. I've come across a problem though for my Granite that i cannot find an answer on how to fix (if possible). I was doing a few jumps and racing around the yard yesterday, and one of the rear tires came off the truck. Upon closer inspection the inner plastic wheel hub had snapped off. So now there is a hole that is too large for the wheel nut to secure the tire. I just purchased these Duratrax lockups about two weeks ago from my lhs. So i'm not sure if there is a way to fix the inner wheel or should I try to contact Duratrax for a warranty issue? Thank you in advance!

View attachment 98997

View attachment 98998

View attachment 98999

View attachment 99000

View attachment 99001

View attachment 99002

View attachment 99003
I had the same poop happen

Only time I see the center of a wheel get burned through is when the hex comes loose from the axle or the nut comes loose. Whatever happens, something spins while the wheel doesn’t, causing it to get a hole ground through. Cheap wheels are subject to this. I’d try and contact both your LHS and Duratrax. If they both say no, throw a washer behind that nut (one that takes up absolutely all of the space inside that area behind the nut) and crank it the hell down.

I got washers. I think 8M and 4M and stacked them under the nylock nut to fill the space there. I saw flanged nuts for 4M that were nylock ARRMA branded that would be good. Super wide flange. Bought a new set of duratrax because they are bead lock and I can reuse the tires on the new rims. Knowing what I know now I would take this opportunity to switch wheel axles and go 17mm instead. But today we are switching tires from bandito to sixpack (the set where the rim failed) because I doubled down on the 14mm duratrax rins.
Only time I see the center of a wheel get burned through is when the hex comes loose from the axle or the nut comes loose. Whatever happens, something spins while the wheel doesn’t, causing it to get a hole ground through. Cheap wheels are subject to this. I’d try and contact both your LHS and Duratrax. If they both say no, throw a washer behind that nut (one that takes up absolutely all of the space inside that area behind the nut) and crank it the hell down.
yes. Switching to the metal hexes helped (we had a granite Mega) but the washers were the thing. Zero problems since.

I got washers. I think 8M and 4M and stacked them under the nylock nut to fill the space there. I saw flanged nuts for 4M that were nylock ARRMA branded that would be good. Super wide flange. Bought a new set of duratrax because they are bead lock and I can reuse the tires on the new rims. Knowing what I know now I would take this opportunity to switch wheel axles and go 17mm instead. But today we are switching tires from bandito to sixpack (the set where the rim failed) because I doubled down on the 14mm duratrax rins.

yes. Switching to the metal hexes helped (we had a granite Mega) but the washers were the thing. Zero problems since.
Good idea never thought about stacking them.

Good idea never thought about stacking them.
Yeah, like to fill the space. this is a terrible picture but hopefully you can see. Looking for stainless washers is great because they are thinner. If you stack them the nylock barely grabs and you should use loctite.

15995896340496202153307997535075.jpg

I wasn't cranking to hard them, and I did add some loctite to the threads. I've contacted my local LHS, provided them all the details along with pictures. They said they sent it to Horizon Hobby and will let me know if they hear anything back.

But in the meantime I will stop by the hardware store, grab some washers and loctite. Also i'll order those new wheel nuts. Thanks for all the help!

I wasn't cranking to hard them, and I did add some loctite to the threads. I've contacted my local LHS, provided them all the details along with pictures. They said they sent it to Horizon Hobby and will let me know if they hear anything back.

But in the meantime I will stop by the hardware store, grab some washers and loctite. Also i'll order those new wheel nuts. Thanks for all the help!
Like I was saying I bought us another set of duratrax, with a different tread so we can use the rubber from the set we fiddlesticked up with the rims from the new set. We are gonna try that today. But I wish we had just got new wheel axles and 17mm hexes
That is like a 4 bag mod and a hundo on new wheels.

View attachment 98997

View attachment 98998

View attachment 98999

View attachment 99000

View attachment 99001

View attachment 99002

View attachment 99003
Mine just did the same thing I drove it off of a curb should never of broke but I bought them new from my friend so I don't have a sale receipt what did you do to fix the problem

20210601_220049.jpg

20210601_220111_HDR.jpg

we ended up getting a while other set, saved the tires and used a washer under the nylock nut (and used blue loctite for good measure) we ended up wearing out one set and the next tires blew off the rims and ejected the foam 10 feet in the air where it exploded audibly. It was awesome. But since then we have gone to 17mm. We have done it two different ways.

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF117XT02;c=1385

These things are awesome. 10/10 upgrade. We're running these on our Frankenstein arrma.

Or you can get typhon axles, wheel hexes, nuts and the drive pins and have 17mm

https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA550068
Now 8 months after this origibal post our trucks have become completely different animals. I say spend the 150 bucks it'll cost to go to 17mm since 100 of that you're gonna spend on tires and rims anyways.

The extra 50 bucks will make you so much happier and give you so many more choices.
Now 8 months after this origibal post our trucks have become completely different animals. I say spend the 150 bucks it'll cost to go to 17mm since 100 of that you're gonna spend on tires and rims anyways.

The extra 50 bucks will make you so much happier and give you so many more choices.

I love the 17mm Typhon axles, hexes, nuts. Zero issues since getting them. The stock axles with Hot Racing extenders used to be my number one headache. They didn't hold up well to hard landings at all.

Mine just did the same thing I drove it off of a curb should never of broke but I bought them new from my friend so I don't have a sale receipt what did you do to fix the problem

View attachment 149803

View attachment 149804

How tight are you all turning these nuts? I have the Duratrax tires and I run the 14mm hex. I posted here some time back I use the better Traxxas serrated and flange nut really have a edge bit on the back of the nut much better than Arrma's. I have never use LT and I just turn it hand tight with a 7mm hex handle wrench and that is all. If I use a rachet or any other tool with a T-handle I will over tighten. Once I have it hand tight...I do have to use a T-handle tool or rachet to take it off....it just bits in more and grip that good in motion/usage. However, it's never overtightened to keep eating into the center of the wheel nor do I crank into it with that type of force. I have never had a 14mm hex tire nut on my Granite or BR to come off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back