DX3 / DX5 Rugged / DX5 Pro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vetteman1000

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hi everybody. I am thinking about upgrading my transmitter from the DX3 to the DX5 Rugged or Pro. Right now I am using it for my 2021 Talion EXB; however, I would imagine I will be getting more models in the future. Possibly an all-road car or a crawler. Probably all-road next. My questions are as follows:

1) Is it worth upgrading to the DX5 Rugged or the DX5 Pro? (Please don't recommend other brands such as Futaba. I know they are great, but I prefer the compatibility of the Spektrum G2 Smart System.)

2) What are the main reasons why I would want to upgrade to the Rugged or the Pro? I am not racing, just bashing, mostly with my son, however, I like having the freedom to have more options. I just don't understand the differences.

3) If you see any huge discounts to purchase them online at a great discount, please post the link. Again, only know stores to be posted, I don't like to buy from no-name companies.

Thank you in advance for helping me to make this decision.

In addition to having more channels to run more accessories, a huge benefit is being able to pair the transmitter with up to 20 different RCs. I have a rugged and love it. It has features that lend itself to crawling and trail running, such as a thumb stud on the steering wheel so cars can be operated one handed, as well as plenty of configuration options to run my rear-steer vehicles. The telemetry compatibility with the spektrum smart stuff is nice, but not necessarily a selling point for since I don't love the spekrum ESCs/motors enough to run them in everything. I also just plain like the look of the rugged. I'm not sure how it compares to the pro, but it does more than what I ask of it.

You should consider the DX5C also. Exactly the same features as the Rugged, but cheaper since it's not ruggedized. Many people complained about the scrolling thingy on the Rugged when it first came out (it was a pain to operate). I don't know if this has been fixed or not.

I have a DX5C and I am very satisfied.

You should consider the DX5C also. Exactly the same features as the Rugged, but cheaper since it's not ruggedized. Many people complained about the scrolling thingy on the Rugged when it first came out (it was a pain to operate). I don't know if this has been fixed or not.

I have a DX5C and I am very satisfied.
I'd heard those complaints too but finally just chose to ignore them. They either fixed the issue, or the complainers were a bunch of people who can't use their cell phones either.

My vote goes to a DX5C as well. The scrolling on rugged and Pro are horrible to say the least.
Hasn't been fixed or addressed. Even the wheel on the DX5C is sometimes aggravating, but that touchpad is hopeless imho.

In addition to having more channels to run more accessories, a huge benefit is being able to pair the transmitter with up to 20 different RCs. I have a rugged and love it. It has features that lend itself to crawling and trail running, such as a thumb stud on the steering wheel so cars can be operated one handed, as well as plenty of configuration options to run my rear-steer vehicles. The telemetry compatibility with the spektrum smart stuff is nice, but not necessarily a selling point for since I don't love the spekrum ESCs/motors enough to run them in everything. I also just plain like the look of the rugged. I'm not sure how it compares to the pro, but it does more than what I ask of it.
Rugged for me, im a spektrum fan boy..i got into the hobby on the smart setup, features are awesome and i run avc on all my rigs but my senton.. Just waiting to buy rx for it and it'll be part of the click as well!! Lipo management is awesome and easy, actually looking at the s2100 upgrade but idk if i need it!!🤪
My vote goes to a DX5C as well. The scrolling on rugged and Pro are horrible to say the least.
Hasn't been fixed or addressed. Even the wheel on the DX5C is sometimes aggravating, but that touchpad is hopeless imho.
Ive had 0 issues with it.. Mine works great, and the FW updates are cool

Hi everybody. I am thinking about upgrading my transmitter from the DX3 to the DX5 Rugged or Pro. Right now I am using it for my 2021 Talion EXB; however, I would imagine I will be getting more models in the future. Possibly an all-road car or a crawler. Probably all-road next. My questions are as follows:

1) Is it worth upgrading to the DX5 Rugged or the DX5 Pro? (Please don't recommend other brands such as Futaba. I know they are great, but I prefer the compatibility of the Spektrum G2 Smart System.)

2) What are the main reasons why I would want to upgrade to the Rugged or the Pro? I am not racing, just bashing, mostly with my son, however, I like having the freedom to have more options. I just don't understand the differences.

3) If you see any huge discounts to purchase them online at a great discount, please post the link. Again, only know stores to be posted, I don't like to buy from no-name companies.

Thank you in advance for helping me to make this decision.

My vote is for the DX5C as some of the others said here.... It is the same as the rugged but a lot cheaper. If you go with something outside of Spektrum I cannot speak to that. Since I like AVC in all my rigs, I would pick another if I were starting over only for the cheaper AVC receiver compared to the cost of Spektrum AVC rx.

I really enjoy my DX5C with all Arrma rigs I have linked to it....works great. The only thing I DO NOT never plan to are speed runs. So only caution I would call out is on the range if you planning to do that. I have no range issues for what I do and my Infraction can get far enough away from me where it looks like a dot before I need to send it back. Rarely do I need to do that for bashing but works out well for the large mall parking lots.

Best of luck on a pick

My vote is for the DX5C as some of the others said here.... It is the same as the rugged but a lot cheaper. If you go with something outside of Spektrum I cannot speak to that. Since I like AVC in all my rigs, I would pick another if I were starting over only for the cheaper AVC receiver compared to the cost of Spektrum AVC rx.

I really enjoy my DX5C with all Arrma rigs I have linked to it....works great. The only thing I DO NOT never plan to are speed runs. So only caution I would call out is on the range if you planning to do that. I have no range issues for what I do and my Infraction can get far enough away from me where it looks like a dot before I need to send it back. Rarely do I need to do that for bashing but works out well for the large mall parking lots.

Best of luck on a pick
Have u not seen the brand new pull offs on ebay for 50 bucks from Cash4Rc.. S6100at and s6110at.. I just bought one, and it came out of a brand new losi!🤣

Since everybody is commenting on the DX5C, what are the differences between the DX5C and the standard DX3?

I still use the DX4S. It's like a DX5c, except it comes with flagship quality switches (and more of them) and a bigger screen. It wasn't updated by Spektrum when SMART came out, so SMART telemetry is a no-go, but AVC works great and it's still a computer radio. I can manage all of my cars on one tx. I don't know why recent spek radios have crappy range, because this old beauty can send it a long way. I keep looking at the Flysky Noble, but the DX4S is still doing everything I want it to do, so I've stood by. Being a spektrum fanboy is not painless. I've considered the upgrades, yet I'm happy with what I've got. It's a paradox.

Check out the futaba stuff. I was loyal to spectrum for years. But then tried a futaba. Never went back and won’t. I have a 7pxr.
User setups are so much easier.
Quality is better.
Can’t comment on warranty because I haven’t needed it in 4 years.

Have u not seen the brand new pull offs on ebay for 50 bucks from Cash4Rc.. S6100at and s6110at.. I just bought one, and it came out of a brand new losi!🤣

No...thx for telling me I need to search Ebay and check that out. Thx

Since everybody is commenting on the DX5C, what are the differences between the DX5C and the standard DX3?

DX3 is a good radio but only 1-1. My go-to for single control radio for my friends/family I pair up for them. DX5C is like the radios you originally posted but has the program ability, screen, and works with more than one RC. Mainly for me since I like AVC it gives you all 3 AVC controls where you only have the knob on the DX3 does not have any settings or the other controls on AVC which the DX5C does.

Never seen that on being new which they added some of that bling on the DX5C. Nice!

So I ended up buying the DX5 Rugged in Orange. By chance, I went to my local hobby store and they had one behind the counter brand new and available in the orange color. Once I am eligible to sell the original DX3 I will post it in the classified section of this forum. I have the DX3 with the Bluetooth insert and the cell phone holder. I'm thinking $79 for all three is fair, what does everybody think? Should I ask for more or less? Remember it is all three pieces, not just the controller.

I only got a Typhon, (Kraton tomorrow wohooo) I also got the DX5 Rugged in Orange, I have two more TX lol but I will keep the DX3, it's just a good TX, what happen if your Rugged one goes fubar (God forbid) for some odd reason?

I realize this is an old thread, but do I understand correctly that the DX5 Pro doesn't have bluetooth capability? With the DX3 you can at least buy the add-on module. Is it that you don't need bluetooth on the DX5 Pro, because the values you want to read can be read directly from the built-in display ? It just seems like it should have bluetooth capability at that price.

Also, with the receiver that comes stock on the Vorteks, Vendetta, Infraction 3S BLX...., regardless of what transmitter you upgrade to, you won't be able to have AVC and adjustable steering rate at the same time, correct ? (other than the ability to adjust the end points which isn't the same thing)

I realize this is an old thread, but do I understand correctly that the DX5 Pro doesn't have bluetooth capability? With the DX3 you can at least buy the add-on module. Is it that you don't need bluetooth on the DX5 Pro, because the values you want to read can be read directly from the built-in display ? It just seems like it should have bluetooth capability at that price.

Also, with the receiver that comes stock on the Vorteks, Vendetta, Infraction 3S BLX...., regardless of what transmitter you upgrade to, you won't be able to have AVC and adjustable steering rate at the same time, correct ? (other than the ability to adjust the end points which isn't the same thing)
No.. on my rugged I still have access to all the adjustments.. and yes you don't need it because of the smart telemetry.. its really just ment to be paired with complete smart setup i.e. ( motor, esc, receiver, lipo's), and u don't need the bt because of the real time data features!! 😎

No.. on my rugged I still have access to all the adjustments.. and yes you don't need it because of the smart telemetry.. its really just ment to be paired with complete smart setup i.e. ( motor, esc, receiver, lipo's), and u don't need the bt because of the real time data features!! 😎
Okay thanks. And on the second question I had, I think I'm already pretty certain of that answer (there is no way to have AVC and steering rate adjustment unless change out the receiver)

Just realizing the DX5 pro won't work with the Granite or any RC cars with the SLR300 receiver. Still giving some thought to the DX5 Pro while it's on sale ($100 off at HH). Would be nice to have fewer transmitters to carry and to have some of the additional features (bummer about the SLR300 receiver though). I realize most people are eager to swap out the spektrum radio stuff, but I don't really mind it. Although I will say that I DO NOT like not having AVC and ability to adjust steering rate at the same time. Not sure if swapping to a different Spektrum receiver would fix that.

Okay thanks. And on the second question I had, I think I'm already pretty certain of that answer (there is no way to have AVC and steering rate adjustment unless change out the receiver)

Just realizing the DX5 pro won't work with the Granite or any RC cars with the SLR300 receiver. Still giving some thought to the DX5 Pro while it's on sale ($100 off at HH). Would be nice to have fewer transmitters to carry and to have some of the additional features (bummer about the SLR300 receiver though). I realize most people are eager to swap out the spektrum radio stuff, but I don't really mind it. Although I will say that I DO NOT like not having AVC and ability to adjust steering rate at the same time. Not sure if swapping to a different Spektrum receiver would fix that.

When I had the DX3 the BT stuff was crap. Made the radio act crazy and RC as well. A great idea if that added the support and updates. Sold it all. BT stuff could have been good...not!

I have the Spektrum DX5C, but no fan of any manufacturer just got good deal on it. I have it paired to all my Arrma rigs, including the Big Rock, Granite, etc. Found users here selling receivers, and for me, I go for the AVC. AVC is fun and more enjoyable when you have a better radio like the DX5 or DX5C, which splits the 3-AVC settings (SR, throttle, priority). Stock radio cuts the throttle and other stuff, and I want the throttle at full power. Once all 3 are dialed it's a sweet experience. Why I had to put something in the 3S rigs for the DX5C but paid less than half the cost on rx getting them here.

Right, DX5 or DX5C without the right receiver is not as good of a bargain regardless if you want AVC or not. Having one radio going out with 4 rigs or more is a joy!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back