Vorteks Dx3 steering rate/AVC knob question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Sorry if this has been answered. I did find a related thread but no solid answer. What I am trying to figure out is how the steering rate /AVC knob works. Right now on my Vorteks I have avc working (tires steer as I rotate car by hand), and when I turn the knob it only reduces my steering. So how would I adjust avc while driving if the knob only reduced my steering? Is there a way for the knob to control avc only? Thx.

PS: I came back to arrma and this forum since we can ask anything without being made to feel stupid as some other terrible forums do.

Sorry if this has been answered. I did find a related thread but no solid answer. What I am trying to figure out is how the steering rate /AVC knob works. Right now on my Vorteks I have avc working (tires steer as I rotate car by hand), and when I turn the knob it only reduces my steering. So how would I adjust avc while driving if the knob only reduced my steering? Is there a way for the knob to control avc only? Thx.

PS: I came back to arrma and this forum since we can ask anything without being made to feel stupid as some other terrible forums do.
With AVC enabled turning that knob down will reduce AVC action. Turn it all the way down and AVC will be off.
If it isn’t doing that I would run through the calibration steering point setting process. If it keeps acting weird it is likely the stock servo is dying. I have two Vorteks and both stock servos died. The first sign of trouble on both was weird AVC behaviour.

Do yourself a favour and order a cheap DS3218 Pro 180 degree servo. It is 25 spline so you need the Arrma 25t servo saver. Or not, I run Racerstar servos that are cheap and basically identical to that DS with just the steering arm it came with and no servo saver. It works great and I have spares if I kill one. I haven’t killed one yet.

Note that I run a 35kg DS in my 6S rigs that have higher voltage ESC BEC settings but with the Vorteks ESC at 6.0v the DS3218 Pro has plenty of torque and is very fast. At 6.0v it is about a 0.10 sec/ 60 degrees and 23kg servo. Perfect for the Vortek.

Re,e,ber to properly set your steering end points before you run it.

Last edited:
Sorry should have mentioned I have a ds3235 in it with the 25t. I swap stock servo immediately on all my rigs. So if that knob is suppose to control avc by default then how would you adjust steering rate? Is there a way to switch what the knob controls?
20220315_005036.jpg

Sorry should have mentioned I have a ds3235 in it with the 25t. I swap stock servo immediately on all my rigs. So if that knob is suppose to control avc by default then how would you adjust steering rate? Is there a way to switch what the knob controls?
View attachment 206370
The knob only controls rate when AVC is disable I believe. I have found the AVC works great and I am fine just adjusting how active AVC is. It works really well on the Vortek.

Did you put the 25T servo saver on it or run it without on?

The knob only controls rate when AVC is disable I believe. I have found the AVC works great and I am fine just adjusting how active AVC is. It works really well on the Vortek.

Did you put the 25T servo saver on it or run it without on?
But what's weird is that avc is working when I test it. But the knob only cortrols steering rate. Yes using 25t saver.

But what's weird is that avc is working when I test it. But the knob only cortrols steering rate. Yes using 25t saver.
I would try re-binding the transmitter, disabling AVC, recalibrate everything including steering end points, then enable AVC and test.

I find that the AVC on the Vorteks works really well. The only issue I had was that both stock servos developed a short after a few crashes. They would randomly start turning the steering full left or right. It looked like a receiver or transmitter issue, but putting in a new servo fixed everything for me. Those DS servos have been bulletproof for me too but I would try swapping in a new one if you have a spare. (I always have a couple of spares, I just never seem to need them now that I run DS servos in everything.

I would try re-binding the transmitter, disabling AVC, recalibrate everything including steering end points, then enable AVC and test.

I find that the AVC on the Vorteks works really well. The only issue I had was that both stock servos developed a short after a few crashes. They would randomly start turning the steering full left or right. It looked like a receiver or transmitter issue, but putting in a new servo fixed everything for me. Those DS servos have been bulletproof for me too but I would try swapping in a new one if you have a spare. (I always have a couple of spares, I just never seem to need them now that I run DS servos in everything.
Good news. It's fixed. I reset the transmitter, rebound the receiver, recalibrate the receiver, and now the knob controls AVC only. It was very easy following the video. Thanks @L3phturn !

Kind of hijacking the thread, I really wish the dx3 had separate knobs for AVC and steering rate, so they could both be adjusted without having to change the radio setup. I like being able to adjust AVC on the Vorteks. I know a lot of people don't use AVC, but I think it's kind of a good fit for the Vorteks. On slippery surfaces we like to play around with blasting out of the gate, or doing donuts, with different amounts of AVC. It kind of helps build your skill level with less tumbling.

I would like to be able to turn down steering rate a little bit once in a while, and then conveniently return it to 100%. I could recalibrate the steering endpoints, but that's too much of a hassle for how we want to use it. Having the steering rate at 100% all of the time isn't so bad, but I don't like the limitation. I suppose adding an extra knob would take too much space on the transmitter and add cost.

Get new radio. I'm swapping my DX3 that comes with my Outcast 6s exb with my Flysky FS-GT5. Love that radio. All adjustments you'll ever need with what's called SVC gyro, Stabile vehicle control. Works close to the save as avc.
I have a Flysky GT5 also and think the SVC system is easier to set up and works better than Spektrum AVC.

Get new radio. I'm swapping my DX3 that comes with my Outcast 6s exb with my Flysky FS-GT5. Love that radio. All adjustments you'll ever need with what's called SVC gyro, Stabile vehicle control. Works close to the save as avc.
Seems like more people swap out the radio than I would have guessed. Probably not worth it yet for me, but now it has me searching more threads about "which radio would you get?" type of thing. The Flysky FS-GT5 is looking pretty good (sorry for delay in responding, had been mostly offline for a while)

Kind of hijacking the thread, I really wish the dx3 had separate knobs for AVC and steering rate, so they could both be adjusted without having to change the radio setup. I like being able to adjust AVC on the Vorteks. I know a lot of people don't use AVC, but I think it's kind of a good fit for the Vorteks. On slippery surfaces we like to play around with blasting out of the gate, or doing donuts, with different amounts of AVC. It kind of helps build your skill level with less tumbling.

I would like to be able to turn down steering rate a little bit once in a while, and then conveniently return it to 100%. I could recalibrate the steering endpoints, but that's too much of a hassle for how we want to use it. Having the steering rate at 100% all of the time isn't so bad, but I don't like the limitation. I suppose adding an extra knob would take too much space on the transmitter and add cost.
Only the Spektrum DX5C/Rugged or Pro radio can do what you want it to do. With Separate AVC Gain, Priority and Steering dual rate controls..
RTR radios fall short unfortunately.(n)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back