DX5 Rugged and SR515 telemetry capable stock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yazman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
I'm trying to figure out that sweet Kraton I bought from McClain210, but that radio is like a computer, and even after reading the manual and playing with it, I'm super confused. I'm finishing my Phd at school, but I feel like I'm still too dumb to understand this complicated transmitter.

Does telemetry come stock, or do I have to add a "telemetry unit" or something? I have the spektrum firma 150/2050kv combo and Zeee batteries. I'm thinking about just putting in a SR315 and SLT3 to keep it simple.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out that sweet Kraton I bought from McClain210, but that radio is like a computer, and even after reading the manual and playing with it, I'm super confused. I'm finishing my Phd at school, but I feel like I'm still too dumb to understand this complicated transmitter.

Does telemetry come stock, or do I have to add a "telemetry unit" or something? I have the spektrum firma 150/2050kv combo and Zeee batteries. I'm thinking about just putting in a SR315 and SLT3 to keep it simple.
Hello

Congrats on the sweet RC. I have the DX5C.. the same but there is very little info out there. Here are two videos someone made to go over each menu item much more than Spektrum ever did. Telmetry does come stock but you MUST use all Spektrum stuff full...missing an item breaks the deal :)

In summary, you need Spektrum batteries to pair with the Spektrum receiver and Firma to get full telemetry. I do not like Spektrum batteries anymore so I do not get telemetry anymore. I can get voltage with other batteries but that is about it....all the good stuff is no good to me since I use other brand batteries.

I did not buy the DX5C for telemetry anyway...I like AVC in all my rigs so the DX5C gives me all 3 controls which you cannot get with the stock radio. Also, I like having one radio to all my Arrma rigs and non-Arrma rigs so it has some advantages for me. Yep, it is a learning curve at first them it becomes simple, DX5, PHD is needed :)

I started watching those videos and my brain melted 🤯. Is there a big advantage to the DX5 vs, say, the SLT3? I'm usually just bashing around the yard or park. I don't know how useful all the options are for me. However, I'm a noob and could see growing into all the features. Also the battery life seems very short per the video (40mins runtime). I'm guessing simpler radios don't use as much juice?

Don't worry about run time for the transmitter. Transmitter batteries last through several sessions. I have a DX5. I like it. The range and responsiveness are excellent. But I don't really use any of the advanced features. I've played with exponential settings, but in the end turned them off. I don't have AVC. So, while I'm happy with it, it was overkill. I'd get a much less expensive one if I could do it all over again. I may be taking the responsiveness and range for granted, but I have a feeling a $40 DumboRC would work just fine for me.

Wow, I just looked up current prices. $219?! I don't remember spending that much on mine.

Last edited:
I started watching those videos and my brain melted 🤯. Is there a big advantage to the DX5 vs, say, the SLT3? I'm usually just bashing around the yard or park. I don't know how useful all the options are for me. However, I'm a noob and could see growing into all the features. Also the battery life seems very short per the video (40mins runtime). I'm guessing simpler radios don't use as much juice?
SLT3 is a great radio...not bad. Sounds to me this is all you need and none of the features of DX5 are needed for you.

It's only in the beginning, you taking in a lot all at once, no worries it will come to you ;)
Thanks parcou and GRC. I think I may make the wife happy and sell the DX5 for something cheaper 😂. I'm a noob, and I do think the SLT3 would suffice
List in in here, someone will grab it I'm sure, hell might even be me :p
I'm using the DX5 Rugged in orange and is really finicky with the touch sliding feature, no backlit screen, yada yada yada

Thanks for all the input fellas! I bought a DX3 which I think should work with my SR515 (and doesn't require a bind plug?). I'll be posting the DX5 Rugged soon, but if you want dibs, PM me and shoot me an offer!

Thanks for all the input fellas! I bought a DX3 which I think should work with my SR515 (and doesn't require a bind plug?). I'll be posting the DX5 Rugged soon, but if you want dibs, PM me and shoot me an offer!
no bind plug on that one ;)

DX3 is nice...I have that one as a spare for my guess RC so I can use AVC for people who never RC which helps to make it more fun for them....

I was wondering about AVC. I have the SR515, which apparently isn't AVC capable. I don't want to shell out $80 for a new receiver, just to have AVC. It would be nice though

I can't make a thread in the classifieds for another 6 days (I'm too new), but the DX5 Rugged is for sale $200 and I'll ship free to the continental US. It's only been used once outdoors for 5 minutes and several times inside.
IMG_20220119_195054009.jpg

IMG_20220119_195117790_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220119_195145356_HDR.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back