DX5 Rugged

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaPa Thorn

Very Active Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
I'm looking at getting a decent radio and the Rugged has been on my mind a lot. But first I have a few questions before picking this thing up, and who else to turn to but you guys.

What receivers are most of you using?

Do they all work with the AVC?

I know how to shut off AVC with the bind plugs, there's a few vids out there, but what if they have the bind button? Or do most with the button don't support AVC?

And, if the receiver doesn't support AVC do I need to switch anything else up on the radio?

Honestly I'd like one without AVC so that I don't have to go through all the bs of shutting it off.

Anything else you can think of, quirks, problems, hassles, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

@bicketybam is the man to speak to as he owns said radio..???
I have all my trucks running off my Rugged and only two have AVC. Both use the Spektrum 6 channel receiver. All the others are a mix of 3 and 4 channel Spektrum receivers. I believe the six channel is the only one with AVC capability. You don't need to do anything special to run the non AVC receivers.

I have all my trucks running off my Rugged and only two have AVC. Both use the Spektrum 6 channel receiver. All the others are a mix of 3 and 4 channel Spektrum receivers. I believe the six channel is the only one with AVC capability. You don't need to do anything special to run the non AVC receivers.

Thanks boss.

At 15% off plus door bonuses I might end up getting one this weekend.

I got another question for you.
You know when you enter the esc program mode with the Tactic to set throttle and end point, how do you enter that mode with the Rugged?

You know when you enter the esc program mode with the Tactic to set throttle and end point, how do you enter that mode with the Rugged?
You calibrate the ESC the same way you do with the Tactic. As far as end points for your servo travel, you set that with the travel function on the remote.

When your doing that, your calibrating the esc to the receiver, so the process is the same. Before doing it, double check the transmitter EPA for the throttle/brake to make sure your at 100% or 0 for both, then go through the calibration process with the esc like normal.

When your doing that, your calibrating the esc to the receiver, so the process is the same. Before doing it, double check the transmitter EPA for the throttle/brake to make sure your at 100% or 0 for both, then go through the calibration process with the esc like normal.

100 or zero, it doesn't matter which?

100 or zero, it doesn't matter which?
Sorry, my hands didn't catch up with my brain yet.

EPA at 100 for both throttle and brake.
Throttle/brake trim set to 0.

With a new radio, they should start out that way I believe. Still, something to double check before calibrating. Also, the scroll wheel is annoying on that radio. I recently replaced my DX3C with a DX5C which I believe uses the same type of menu buttons/scroll wheel as the rugged and they are fairly annoying to use compared to the DX3C.

Sorry, my hands didn't catch up with my brain yet.

EPA at 100 for both throttle and brake.
Throttle/brake trim set to 0.

With a new radio, they should start out that way I believe. Still, something to double check before calibrating. Also, the scroll wheel is annoying on that radio. I recently replaced my DX3C with a DX5C which I believe uses the same type of menu buttons/scroll wheel as the rugged and they are fairly annoying to use compared to the DX3C.

Originally I was looking at something touchscreen like the Flysky but I wanted something fairly tough, and touchscreens are anything but.
That's the reason I don't have a cell. I keep breaking them.

Rugged has a scroll pad which takes a lot of getting used to.

It looks to be like the old field tech computers I used to use, minimal buttons same graphics. If it looked to much like a cell phone my grandmonster would mess with it, so there's a plus.

My biggest gripe with the latest DX remotes (DX3C,4C,5C) is the lack of a charge port. Not sure of the rugged or other more expensive DX ones have it or not.

I made my own:
2019-0621-DX5C-Side-ChargePortInstalled.jpg

I hate popping off a cheap plastic cover a couple times a week to charge my NiMH AA's back up. Eventually, the cover is going to break or crack. Now I'm considering throwing a 2S lipo in there... will need to figure out an alternate charging jack for that, although, I'm not overly fond of charging a lipo while it's in a device.

Appears HH has a coupon for 15% off, SUNFUN19. So you could get the rugged for $170.

That's what they are on sale for at this one not so LHS. They have 19% store wide and in addition to the 2018's I listed they Also have a few of last years Sentons.

I just didn't get to stop today. My wife's flight was late and they closed before we could get there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back