DX5C Smart Radio - Share your AVC Settings or Best Advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam

I pulled the trigger to get the DX5C after asking a ton of questions here...so thanks! I have a lot to learn on its usage for menus but AVC is something I use with the Infraction and Felony DX3 that both have the Spektrum FIRMA 150 ESC and the Spektrum rx in them.

I am a drifter, not a speedrunner. Can you please share with me how you set up your menu settings below? How did you setup....

STR Gain
THR Gain
(unless you moved it to 0 to disable)
Priority (a good one I'd like to know as well how you controlled power if any in turns and how the RC react)

The numbers you used, yes please share. I am really interested in your reply on how it performed or drifted as you modified those settings, please?

Thx

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 2.10.09 AM.png

For drifting an Infraction/Felony, I would have it all turned off. If I was to use it, it would with very little THR gain (~5-10%) and around 15-25% STR gain. It will take time to find what ratio between these two you will prefer

Priority is basically a master for both of these variables. 100% priority gives you full control at full steering/throttle, which is what I would prefer, in case you needed to correct against the AVC

For bashing my Typhon 3S, I have it set to 15% THR, 40% STR and 100% priority. I find this helps most with correcting awkward take offs when jumping

I don't have AVC on my Felony. I tuned the diffs instead with 200k centre and 60k rear (stock 10k front works well for me)

This is how I have mine set up. I really don't use AVC so I have steering turned down to zero and throttle turned down to zero. You can link the steering gain to one of the trim tabs to be able to adjust it on the fly (you can also see that I don't have throttle AVC linked to a trim tab because I always want it at zero). The Up/Down arrow just controls which direction increases/decreases the value. Set priority to 100%.

A6A8A671-2286-4F21-A561-41C3E79F0C09.jpeg

@Yas @Engineer

If you turn AVC off or mostly off, where is the advance over the DX3 radio which you can turn the knob off on it for AVC? Speaking to AVC only I know the DX5C can do more

Thx Sirs

@Yas @Engineer

If you turn AVC off or mostly off, where is the advance over the DX3 radio which you can turn the knob off on it for AVC? Speaking to AVC only I know the DX5C can do more

Thx Sirs
I'm not sure if I understand the question... but the DX3's AVC dial turned to it's lowest value doesn't disable AVC. You can't individually adjust STR or THR either. I think these are preset at certain values. Maybe the dial only adjusts priority 🤷‍♂️ with either TX, you can only fully disable AVC during receiver binding - this is the case for the receivers that I know of anyway. Does this answer your question?

I'm not sure if I understand the question... but the DX3's AVC dial turned to it's lowest value doesn't disable AVC. You can't individually adjust STR or THR either. I think these are preset at certain values. Maybe the dial only adjusts priority 🤷‍♂️ with either TX, you can only fully disable AVC during receiver binding - this is the case for the receivers that I know of anyway. Does this answer your question?

I asked it poorly sorry but you did answer my question. Thx

I am so use to my Infraction the way handles, obviously, cutting power when I am sliding and drifting in turns I was not aware of...what will that be like at full power under the new remote scares me. My hope it does not throw me around in a 360 like the stupid Felony does in power turns or drifts (that's a different issue) I really like how the Infraction handles currently under power in turns and it's set maybe 30-50% on AVC setting. Now we are going to be keeping power....

Dialing in AVC is not easy and it is meant for course racing to prevent unnecessary slipping.

First off, AVC prevents tire slipping both during acceleration as well as cornering. With that said, for drifting you want exactly the opposite, you want the tires to freely spin.

Priority - always leave at 100%
Steering you should be able to drive straight and turn without wobble. You will probably start seeing this awkward wobble above 30-40% pending surface. keep in mind you have on road tires. Different for off-road.
Throttle - you should be able to punch your throttle without tire slipping.
Those 2 values are your high points, from hereon out you only adjust down.

Steering will be ~ 20%
Throttle maybe 30% (I forget) - whatever value you find it's the right one.

I've turned it off as it's more predictable without. Just learn to control that finger, that will come after a couple set of tires and ~ 20-30 packs i.e. ok to learn as you go along.

Guys

Curious...

On the DX5C if I want to give the remote to my nephew to control the Losi, how do I adjust the throttle control less power? Which menu option don't think it's exponential or rates?

On the DX3 there is a switch for 50,75,100 throttle...

@SrC @jkflow

Guys

Curious...

On the DX5C if I want to give the remote to my nephew to control the Losi, how do I adjust the throttle control less power? Which menu option don't think it's exponential or rates?

On the DX3 there is a switch for 50,75,100 throttle...

@SrC @jkflow
Adjust the H throttle travel in the menu 👍 they should all be at 100. Try lowering the H throttle value to around 60 instead

On my DX5 rugged, there’s a way to cut the throttle to any speed on the fly with a trim button. So you don’t have to menu dive every time. Pretty sure it can be set up in rates, but I’ll double check.

Yes, one of the little trim buttons is assigned by default to throttle. Just adjust down to whatever seems right. Watch the monitor and use the buttons. You will see what does what.

Here’s how I set mine up, I would think the DX5C and the rugged are basically the same.

Under the Rates menu, scroll down and select “steering”, click ok then toggle until it says “throttle”. Click ok and then go down to “switch” and turn it on. After you do that, you can assign it to a trim button under OTF “on the fly”.

You can test it and see the percentage change as you toggle whatever trim button you chose while still on this screen. Hope this helps.

I haven’t found a way to display this throttle percentage on the home screen though.

8580AA14-B0FB-4870-BDBF-76305B5443D7.jpeg

On my DX5 rugged, there’s a way to cut the throttle to any speed on the fly with a trim button. So you don’t have to menu dive every time. Pretty sure it can be set up in rates, but I’ll double check.

Thx for the reply....I have not seen one those remotes yet
Yes, one of the little trim buttons is assigned by default to throttle. Just adjust down to whatever seems right. Watch the monitor and use the buttons. You will see what does what.

OK....I will look more into that once I get it outside. My understanding for that trim button that is there by default was to keep the RC at neutral and if it had any forward movement I dial it back to make it sit still.

Horizon Hobby is doing warranty work on my S2100 charger so I cannot get it out to test until I get my charger back...

Thx
Here’s how I set mine up, I would think the DX5C and the rugged are basically the same.

Under the Rates menu, scroll down and select “steering”, click ok then toggle until it says “throttle”. Click ok and then go down to “switch” and turn it on. After you do that, you can assign it to a trim button under OTF “on the fly”.

You can test it and see the percentage change as you toggle whatever trim button you chose while still on this screen. Hope this helps.

I haven’t found a way to display this throttle percentage on the home screen though.

View attachment 139698

Thx for the reply...

I am seeing it both ways from YT'ers and others....so use RATE and some use TRAVEL. I will test both when I get my charger back to set the throttle lower for young drivers.

I also see the same from those posters when it comes to endpoint adjustment some say use RATE or say TRAVEL I did see the manual say TRAVEL for servo steering endpoint adjust which I need to do for the Losi.

Last edited:
@parcou Don't use the trim, will work but gets confusing. For limiting anything use teh rate function on the DX5 as per @pendulum_rc above.
That is your best bet.
Yes, you can link one of those trim buttons to that function as well. I hate going through that menu with the scrollwheel.

Brakes on DX5C - or Brake setting...

On the DX5C, I am a little confused about the brake setting. The rig in question is the Infraction and ESC is set to 100% brake. On the DX3 I dialed it down to 70-75% and that worked for me I only tap on the brakes.

@razorrc I looked at an old video he did on DX5C review. I hope I am not misquoting him an apology if I am... He looked to have set his brake or adjusted it for the rig in "TRAVEL" Where you have 100 for L/H he lowered the L to 85% or something like that for brake (Razor if I heard that wrong, my bad Sir)

Then you have a setting on an "F" switch - Brate Rate to adjust it

Are they both the same function? Or, am I as stated just confused on the TRAVEL L/H functions?

@SrC @jkflow

Brake setting is a very tricky beast with respect to how it behaves. I have my ESC set to Max Force 37.5% and reverse to 50%, again that is the ESC setting.
Keep in mind that you are drawing AMPS during breaking and generate heat like crazy. I literally melted off a motor bullet when I had it set to very high.

Now to DX5, all those little switches on the handle are labelled. The F is the small button just behind the throttle trigger. Find the 'F' toggle switch, that will adjust the BRK value on the display. Dial that down to your liking. I have it at 60. You can program any of those little switches if you like a different switch (A,B,C,D,E,F)

Highly suggest to not go balls to the walls on throttle and expect it to stop on a dime. Like I said, this is individual and needs to be adjusted carefully. Obviously, your DX5 display will have a different meaning if the ESC brake is set to 100% vs default 37.5%

Suggest to verify your ESC setting, latest manual shows that default is 37.5% but mine was set to 75% as default.
A lot easier to do with a programmer. Either way it will work, you can just dial your DX5 to an even lower value or leave on 100% if you want to lock up tires etc.

Brake setting is a very tricky beast with respect to how it behaves. I have my ESC set to Max Force 37.5% and reverse to 50%, again that is the ESC setting.
Keep in mind that you are drawing AMPS during breaking and generate heat like crazy. I literally melted off a motor bullet when I had it set to very high.

Now to DX5, all those little switches on the handle are labelled. The F is the small button just behind the throttle trigger. Find the 'F' toggle switch, that will adjust the BRK value on the display. Dial that down to your liking. I have it at 60. You can program any of those little switches if you like a different switch (A,B,C,D,E,F)

Highly suggest to not go balls to the walls on throttle and expect it to stop on a dime. Like I said, this is individual and needs to be adjusted carefully. Obviously, your DX5 display will have a different meaning if the ESC brake is set to 100% vs default 37.5%

Suggest to verify your ESC setting, latest manual shows that default is 37.5% but mine was set to 75% as default.
A lot easier to do with a programmer. Either way it will work, you can just dial your DX5 to an even lower value or leave on 100% if you want to lock up tires etc.

Right...confusing... :)

So on the DX5C, sounds like you don't touch the "TRAVEL" at all both are 100 for L/H

I do have an ESC option for 100% braking (using) and I stop by sliding or drifting or tap the brake every few secs as it comes to a stop never a full hard brake continuously.....right will melt something.

So if I am 100% on the ESC...going down on the "F" switch below 100 for the brake is reducing the brake?

Asking because on this radio unlike the DX3 seemed stronger but it could be all imagination....

Before reading on, did you start all of this with a bind and ESC to DX5 throttle range adjust? The throttle range adjust is completely different from the bind process. ? See below for steps. You must always do this when switching transmitter or receiver.
The DX5 has a range of +/-150 while the DX3 has +/-100. Therefore a DX5 would only apply ~ 75% of throttle even though it shows 100%.
---
Brakes:
Yes, leave the travel alone (100%) but again some knowledge is needed.

Keep in mind that the brake/reverse function is actually a 2 part step on any controller. You probably haven't realized yet as to what you are doing.
After going forward, if you go to 'reverse' it is actually only breaking but the tires will never rotate backwards. Only on a second tap (reverse #1 - neutral reverse#2) will the ESC actually apply reverse throttle (motor/tires going the other way). That is why you typically do NOT want to 'tap the brake'. You are literally going from breaking into reverse which will spin tires etc

Brake/reverse adjust
You can adjust the brake/reverse on the DX5 to the desired value with the 'Brake' display in the monitor (F switch). That is the display value.
It will not impact the forward (throttle)
If you want to adjust the forward throttle you have to adjust the 'Rate' for the throttle channel. The rate function is independent from the brake/reverse.

That is why you have different settings on the ESC for brake and forward and the DX5 gives you the power to dial it in.

The DX3 only has the TRAVEL adjustment and impacts everything.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
OK, quick answer to your question. Brake rate (switch F) is really just brake travel (end point adjustment). Actually, brake doesn't really exist, it's negative throttle, but that's what it does. It will also affect your max reverse speed. Yes, it's just a shortcut switch to adjust that 85% I had set for my Low throttle side.

There's some other things I disagree with written above, but it would take too long to explain everything.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back