Earplugs in all 3 diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adiabatic

Doing it myself and doing myself in
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Just tried this in my Kraton and WOW what a difference, my turning radius is much smaller, the truck is tighter and more agile on the track. It's like a magical force is helping it along as there is no understeer or oversteer and I have perfect traction entering and exiting corners at full speed. With the centre diff nearly locked I can do a standing backflip off the line and at full throttle down the straight and still beat all the nerds who spend a whole weekend tweaking oil weights. Why does Arrma even bother using diffs when the truck runs so much better with little to no diff action? Seems like unnecessary complexity and more parts to break and maintain for no gain.

Just tried this in my Kraton and WOW what a difference, my turning radius is much smaller, the truck is tighter and more agile on the track. It's like a magical force is helping it along as there is no understeer or oversteer and I have perfect traction entering and exiting corners at full speed. With the centre diff nearly locked I can do a standing backflip off the line and at full throttle down the straight and still beat all the nerds who spend a whole weekend tweaking oil weights. Why does Arrma even bother using diffs when the truck runs so much better with little to no diff action? Seems like unnecessary complexity and more parts to break and maintain for no gain.

Why even bother doing that? I just stuck a 1717 in my crawler with spools and it’s even better than your Kraton with ear plugs.

Performance is in the eye of the beholder. Experimenting is what RC is about. Thinking outside the box. And what works for you.(y)

However, one has to consider that Pro racers at a Track, not necessarily 'Nerds", have been dialing their diffs for many years using silicone oil. And at the Pro level, I know that Locked diffs all around does not work. Claiming no understeer or over steer with Earplugs (center diff locked), seems like a stretch to me. Understeer/Oversteer is inherent with any vehicle that has 4 wheels. 4x2 or 4x4.
Talking legit Buggy and Truggy 1/8 class at a groomed Track, not mid level grade basher rigs like Arrma's.
Earplugs are an option for many, and they roll with it. For simple bashing can work, I guess.:unsure:
To me it just goes against the grain with how I like to dial my rigs. Bashers or otherwise.
Controlled diff action also provides a buffer to heavy loading on the drivetrain. Sparing components.
:cool:

I ran my talion all plugged for awhile. I was out of diff fluid. I liked the way it handled

Why are you trying to prevent the center from unloading altogether?
But if you are dead set on it, just get a Spool for the center and be done with it. Do it right. Locked completely if that is your thing?:unsure:
Front and rear need some differential action IMHO. But I drive differently. We all do.:cool:
Driver input at the radio should be more important if wheelies/ nose lift bothers you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back