Kraton Easy way to remove wheels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idea: once you have your wheel nuts off, find an object with a diameter slightly smaller than your axle (a short hex socket maybe?) and put this on the ground. Put the truck on its side and align the axle with the "object". Then you can press on the wheel from the inside. You should be able to put a lot of weight on it this way without risking any breakage...

I love you man!! I'd up vote you an hundred times if I could... could please the admins allow me to just this once??:D

I took the wheels off of the Outcast for a good cleaning and they were a lot easier to remove. Had trouble with one of them but I knew just what to do once they were off. For myTyphon I had to use a 3 jaw puller (gear puller) and they came right off... Cleaned out the hole in the wheels and all is good!

Idea: once you have your wheel nuts off, find an object with a diameter slightly smaller than your axle (a short hex socket maybe?) and put this on the ground. Put the truck on its side and align the axle with the "object". Then you can press on the wheel from the inside. You should be able to put a lot of weight on it this way without risking any breakage...
And this is how it can be done...

Take a glass bottle and put a coin on top of it (from neck side of course :D). I used an euro, if you are in US you may use a quarter, in UK a pound may suffice :D
Loctite paste them together if you feel more comfortable doing so, I didn't.

Put a towel under the bottle if you think it may slip from the floor.

Ask your wife to hold the Kraton from the other side at 90° with the floor and push the axle against the coin. If you don't have a wife, a gf, a son, a daughter, a father or even a friend may suffice :D :D
Jokes apart, holding the RC sideway maybe needed if you are taking the wheel off because you broke the pivot ball cage and you don't want the RC to tilt around while you are operating.

When you feel stable just force the axle back through the wheel hole, gradually pushing more and more from the inside of the rim of course and not from the rubber..

And there you go :D

Before putting back in, trim the hole insides just like @Vanning and others may have said

Last edited:
Has anyone though about using a washer in behind the nut? Spread the load over more area of the wheel?
The problem is, when they are tightened at the factory, the plastic gets squeezed into the threads. At least in my case...
20161116_130630.jpg

With the tool on my picture it is very easy to get the weels of.
I just took the picture to show you how the tool works, thats why the wheel nut is not removed.

Regards,
Tom

Attachments

• IMG_20170310_215039 Wheel.jpg
    IMG_20170310_215039 Wheel.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Those tools called "Puller". But it will be helpful to put some soft plate maybe thick rubber between the axle of the puller and the aluminium wheel hex. Otherwise it is easy to damage the wheel hex thread.

In case of plastic parts into the hole, you can use the same tool which you use to make holes into an lexan body.
It´s a kind of drill of cone shape with two cutting edges. But not make the wheel hole larger, just cutting away the plastic parts!

Had the same problem on my new Outcast, (not the Senton though),apparently someone must be using
an impact gun to tighten the lug/wheel nuts.

Here's a real simple fix I found.
Set the car so the wheels of one side over hang your workbench.

Then with the nut removed,take a 3/4" hardwood dowel or in my case a piece of nylon rod and hold it
against the end of the threaded hub....hit the dowel a few times with a hammer and the wheel should slide off.

Then I used a 15/32" drill bit and slightly reamed out the center hole,spray a little dry lube in the hex hole and no more problems.
Just don't over tighten the nut again like Arrma does.

So it's easy guys. Lol use your feet.
Put the Wheel between your feet while you sit on the floor the wheel with the nut still on needs to be facing outward beyond your feet as you use your feet to hold the wheel in place from both sides grab the other side with both hands and wiggle it off while making sure that you remove the nut on the side that you're pulling towards you and it'll come right off. If you need to put the wheel back on to remove the other side. Just don't make it Snug when you do. Here's a picture to illustrate.

Attachments

• 1505948458999129601081.jpg
    1505948458999129601081.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Ha I was just having fun. I imagine it is just due to the axle hole of these wheels being a bit smaller than they should, and the plastic is being crushed into the threads when tightening. Ive tried other wheels on and they fit more loosely.

After that, you can do what Vanning suggested and trim the opening slightly till the wheel installs easily.
Worked perfectly. Used a phillips screw driver to put against the other side and just pushed it down off the axle onto the ground .thanks for the advice

A pocket knife works good. All it took was a little bit with the knife.( Proline trenchers 3.8" tires on my outcast is awesome)

Come on we are talking 6S power they NEED to be SUPER TIGHT or you'd be losing nuts all day......Yes they can be a b*%#^ to get off....I've had to use a rubber hammer, stand on one wheel and pull the other.....and the beating these rigs take.... if you think you're gonna break something trying to get a wheel off that's just kinda funny..... Easiest way..... Remove all your wheel nuts and blast on 6S til they all fall off:p:geek:

Hit it with your purse! Just kidding, LOL. I sprayed some WD40 and wiggled it out. Good luck!

I had the exact same issue. Gave up getting one of mine off - tried everything but that thing just won't budge. Like it's glued on there or something!

Sorry to say I have no suggestions, but if you do find a way then be sure to let me know!

Hi there,
I had the same issue with my Typhon. I used a heat gun to remove the wheels. 5 or so seconds at 350 degrees Celsius. No damage to wheels or other parts the car.

Good day to all

Took the Kraton v2 out today for its first run. Wow! What a machine - to say I'm happy is an understatement.

Brought it home and decided to do a little light maintenance. Question is .... has anybody worked out a simple way of getting the stock wheels off? Managed eventually to get three off but my hands can't take anymore. Am
I missing something?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back