Ebay letting me down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Not happy with ebay right now. I ordered an RC truck kit almost two weeks ago, "guaranteed" to arrive on the 11th it said. It's two days later going on three and my truck is stuck hundreds of miles away still and the tracking goes only as far as 15 hours ago. Worst thing is I could have gotten it $60 cheaper somewhere else but it would have taken three weeks more. I paid extra to have it and build it this weekend and it seems like it won't get here now until tomorrow or even later as it's slated to rain pretty hard. I have a 30 day return policy on it but I was hoping to get a major discount on it and ebay will only offer a measly $5 credit. I'm gonna return it now, just not sure if I should wait for it to get here or start the return right now?

This is something that sometimes online retailers don't take into consideration, paying for a certain product to get here on time "guaranteed" vs paying less but getting it way later. I'm kinda losing money if it's late now since I won't be able to assemble it for weeks now. I better get my refund now, just venting here about a negative ebay experience, not sure if anyone else has had this happened to them?

Not happy with ebay right now. I ordered an RC truck kit almost two weeks ago, "guaranteed" to arrive on the 11th it said. It's two days later going on three and my truck is stuck hundreds of miles away still and the tracking goes only as far as 15 hours ago. Worst thing is I could have gotten it $60 cheaper somewhere else but it would have taken three weeks more. I paid extra to have it and build it this weekend and it seems like it won't get here now until tomorrow or even later as it's slated to rain pretty hard. I have a 30 day return policy on it but I was hoping to get a major discount on it and ebay will only offer a measly $5 credit. I'm gonna return it now, just not sure if I should wait for it to get here or start the return right now?
This is something that sometimes online retailers don't take into consideration, paying for a certain product to get here on time "guaranteed" vs paying less but getting it way later. I'm kinda losing money if it's late now since I won't be able to assemble it for weeks now. I better get my refund now, just venting here about a negative ebay experience, not sure if anyone else has had this happened to them?
It's either hit or miss with ebay sellers sometimes they ship the item late i request a refund if it's longer then 2 weeks i noticed fedex draggggsss at delivery one time my package got to my state then went back to another state for a couple days then came back again.

I was gonna request a refund anyways, I kinda bought it on impulse and really wanted it for this weekend but now I got a legitimate reason to say "I got kinda screwed here and I'm not happy". I'd consider keeping it if ebay offered me more than $5. Now I just hope the seller doesn't try to go back on his 30 day returns guaranteed seeing how the "guarantee" delivery date failed.

I was gonna request a refund anyways, I kinda bought it on impulse and really wanted it for this weekend but now I got a legitimate reason to say "I got kinda screwed here and I'm not happy". I'd consider keeping it if ebay offered me more than $5. Now I just hope the seller doesn't try to go back on his 30 day returns guaranteed seeing how the "guarantee" delivery date failed.
Believe me i know exactly how frustrating it is but once it comes in you'll be like it was worth the wait and end up keeping it lol but yeah i agree it's not so much ebay fault more so the seller ebay has really good buyer protection not so much for the sellers

But even if you proceed a return i think you need the package to attach a return label and a packing slip but if you do a return ebay sends you a return label to be printed almost instantly but then again you might just be able to tell the carrier you won't accept the package and they might send it back but if you do that there's no paper trail saying you sent it back you know?

Yeah nah I will wait to get the package and then open the shipping box, look at the graphics of the box and see how big it is, and then decide if I want it or not but at this moment I don't want it anymore. I was gonna wait ten days and then ask for a refund but now I think I can return it right away because of the shipping delay. Hate doing this to someone elses business but like I said I ended up paying more to have it sooner and now I kinda lost out on that. Trackings been horrible by the way for this particular order. I can only get an update from 3 days ago like it's been sitting around at the shipping station for a few days, maybe they've had really bad weather is the the only explanation I can think of and it being the weekend.

Yeah i would send it back for sure since your losing your money on it . Almost sounds as bad as my rant on my post earlier lol don't know if you saw it

Yeah I remember it, that's why I posted my own story. This is an expensive hobby and the online sellers don't do us any favors. Everywhere I look items are either discontinued or there is "only 1 left" or something like that and the prices are higher than you would expect because of the lack of availability. Sometimes you buy something not so much because you need it but because someone else might buy it and it won't be available when you want it later so you end up paying more and then the same item is on sale or cheaper somewhere else soon after.

Yeah I remember it, that's why I posted my own story. This is an expensive hobby and the online sellers don't do us any favors. Everywhere I look items are either discontinued or there is "only 1 left" or something like that and the prices are higher than you would expect because of the lack of availability. Sometimes you buy something not so much because you need it but because someone else might buy it and it won't be available when you want it later so you end up paying more and then the same item is on sale or cheaper somewhere else soon after.
No kidding that seems to be my luck lately lol i been watching a home gym for 550 i was gonna buy it on pay day and it went up to 700 the next day was pretty bummed messaged the seller asking if they could work the same deal luckily they did so i ordered asap. I really don't understand how the sellers make$ on ebay they get so many charges for selling im sure if ebay was more lenient with sellers we'd get better deals but then again maybe not

fiddlestick selling on ebay that's all I gotta say..

There are some good ebay sellers, I like Liquid RC on ebay, and World_Of_RC' refunded me a 44$ order before I even sent the package back , because I had asked them to cancel the order but they shipped it anyway (they didn't see the cancel request in time..) But it was smooth sailing with that guy.

so there are some decent ebays out there still.

If you paid with Paypal, consider opening a dispute. You may have to pay for return shipping if you receive it first without just not accepting the shipment. I would let the seller know your intentions and chances are, they'll offer a discount for you to keep it.
I've gotten great deals by speaking directly to the seller when I wasn't happy. I also buy from sellers that I'm comfortable with only...but this takes time and many orders to find the ones you can trust.

Here's how I do it:
I only buy from US sellers unless I don't care how long it takes to arrive.
I always look at shipping speed and hold sellers accountable to their promises. Weekend purchases are kinda iffy and I give a day or two there extra before I order.
I always pay attention to their ratings. If they have 100% or close, I know they want to keep it like that so they usually deal to my favor when they make a mistake.
I always fairly rate the sellers for every purchase I make. Sellers need ratings and they need fairness. If somebody is good to me, I always appreciate and return the effort back.
When I find a good seller for shipping speed and cost, I look to buy from them first. Sometimes I'll let em slide on a late one if they've been early on shipments or impressed me in other ways.
IMO, EBAY is easier to work because sellers want that 100% rating and many will do anything to keep it. I can give many instances where I was awarded refunds and deals just by bringing it to their attention. This works for highest volume sellers most.
I never try to beat the sellers because I wouldn't want anyone to take advantage of me when I'm trying to manage a legit business. Some things are out of our control. These guys should have built-in budgets for fixing problems and if we arent satisfied, and we are civil, they'll often take care of us much better than we think.
I'm always civil and diplomatic but firm in my dealings. Not all of sellers are on the up and up. Some look for weakness. Im not the target. Start fair and diplomatic and if they don't want to deal, bring the hammer down.
Use PAYPAL for support.

This is how I do EBAY and I feel I'm fair and honest. EBAY can be very good and quite often, prices are better than Amazon...I also have Prime and won't hesitate to talk to them through chat either. Amazon is faster but EBAY is cheaper when getting my money back.

Last edited:
Essentially, communication is the key. Stay in contact and hold sellers accountable for their promises. I will not hesitate to contact the seller before an order if I'm hesitant. I give them ratings only after I've communicated with them. If they won't communicate at all, then I'll bust their ass. If they do communicate and make it right, I'll give em five stars and highest ratings.

edit: they live and die by their ratings

There are a lot of unknowns in this thread, such as what seller did you buy from? Where is the seller located? When did you purchase it? Was the shipping guarantee from eBay or the seller? How was it shipped? Where are you the buyer located?

Based off some of the other comments here I guess I'm one of the lone wolf guys that actually enjoy buying off eBay. I've not had any major problems, can usually find things just as cheap or some times cheaper than than other places and without much hassle.

eBay very easily allows you to sort items buy price, distance, and so on. I can also tell eBay to only show me items listed in the US or even within a certain mileage from what ever zip code I desire. I can also very easily see user feedback from the individual sellers - something you can't always see for most many other online retailers.

Now selling on the other hand can be a bit of a pain, which is why I haven't used eBay to sell anything in maybe forever. But buying, yeah I'll use eBay all day long.

I have the same feelings as @WoodiE I have purchased hundreds of things off, always check ratings and such, and only got flat out burned twice, and both times eBay/Paypal issued a full refund without issue.

Also, your thread title of "eBay" letting you down is odd, as you bought from a "seller" on eBay, not from eBay, hard to condemn the entire eBay infrastructure for one poor seller who didn't ship on time, that's like you condemning the entire Arrma forum just for one individual poster.

If you really don't want it, then you could contact, UPS/FedEx etc, and refuse delivery, as if you accept it, you will likely need to pay return shipping fees, and on a new Arrma that is going to be significant.

TT

If I want something quick, I use amazon prime. If I want something cheap, I use ebay. In many cases, ebay is quick, just depends on the seller, it's not "ebay" causing it to be processed slowly and they just are giving you an estimate as to when it will be delivered based of where you are and where it's shipping from. Amazon does the same thing, but usually, if it's an amazon prime item, it gets here quick and 2 day delivery.

Okay it finally arrived today, some three days later. The truck in question is a Tamiya Clodbuster kit which I wanted to build last week. The seller guaranteed it by Jan. 11, it's well past that date. I don't really want to keep it anymore because thinking about it that truck is very antiquated and expensive and I could build something more dinamic with the money, I just bit on it initially because it was listed as the last one and the only one I could get quickly, the others wouldn't get here till later this week or later this month. Seller also had a 30-day FREE returns accepted policy so I'm good on more than one level. He has a 99.5% rating so I got that going for me too plus all the guarantees he has in his bio about things getting in on time and tracking all didn't work for me so yeah. As for the wording I chose, I said ebay is letting me down because I feel a $5 credit for a $400 item is kinda lame but I guess it's not their fault the seller/shipping messed up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back